MOVIE NITE

I feel a generation gap! What does the older generation think of the newer movies mentioned, like the cruise ones?
I think I got Dauntless was saying starwars isn't even that original, and I would agree nothing is really original when you break it down, but I'm still thinking the stories and movies are progressing in some fashion? I'm curious if the more experienced among us agree or not?

Cinderella 2015. Kinda sappy for an adult? Maybe so, and I'll be dammed, but they did an excellent job not only without detracting from, but possibly accentuating the positive qualities of the story. I prefer it for purity over the snowwhite deal last year, although they have a +1 for a diff angle on the original. It had Jolie, and the latin root 'mal' in the title.

Cinderella is still just the typical prince/princess story unless you wanna see a deeper meaning tho, but I actually liked it, and it did hold a deeper meaning for me.

:p

I saw the Tom Cruise filmitz. 'Hated itz!' (That's getting a bit dated too, eh?) 'Oblivion' was oblivious. 'Edge of Tomorrow' is more like "The Edge of "Starship Troopers."' (Great novel, there's yet to be a good film of it.) I loved the idea, probably made sense at the time to cast Cruise as essentially himself. And that sergeant: (You're an American) "No sir, I'm from Kentucky." Perhaps the book offered some suggestion of why they decided to kill him off that way. Dang, he just saved her life, so she takes his battery and leaves him to die.

Sliced around the edges in 38 pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbcQOfPS22U&list=PLk0Hd0vmvFM9gzEALe-4fI0FTAERXsCQh&index=1

Oh, reminds of another blatant ripoff. 'One Shot.' (2013) Our hero, a sniper named KYLE Matthews, seems an obvious clone of the book 'American Sniper.' (Chris KYLE, etc.) Except set in space as Earth is at war with a Bedouin like people on a dessszzzzzzzz. . . .(SNORK!) But it also has a moment reminiscent of the 1880 Mussel Slough shootout right here in California. Since I know Mussel Slough was FAR MORE UNLIKELY than the escape Matthews pulls off, maybe the suspension of disbelief came easier for me. (Isn't it ironic that the guy from the future in 'Terminator' is KYLE Reese? Or that Kyle Matthews is played by Matthew Reese?)

[youtube]noObCYETLNo[/youtube]

I wasn't really saying anything about 'Star Wars' not being first. Anyone remember 'Forbidden Planet?' Robby the Robot was only in that because they'd spent so much on the outfit for his own movie that they threw it in there. It's not about being addicted to being 100% original. When I was in school I got a B.A. in English and a Minor in Theatre, they said the same thing in both departments: After Shakespeare, it's been done. Since you MUST allow your story to have the flavor of something that came before, at least make it taste good as we relive it again and again.

And I'll pick out an old film like 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' or an even older one like 'Sullivan's Travels' because they seem to have a flair back then that's lacking today. Even if after 'North by Northwest' it's all been done.

[youtube]KZXzcq3l1Oo[/youtube]

Maybe I could go back and rewrite this better.

[youtube]Ou_eWggeCKg[/youtube]

Gonna throw 1995 movie "Waterworld" into this stew. :)
On Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterworld

Might seem apropos in these daze of "Global Climate Change" and rising sea levels. But after all, Dennis Hopper DID win a Golden Raspberry Award (for Worst Acting). But the movie wins in the Coolest Sailing Multihull Award (in my books anyway).

One clip:
[youtube]VKFsmZhQWtg[/youtube]

That's what I kinda expected, in reference to a basic generational 'appreciation' of movies.
So I wonder if my generation will appreciate tomorrow's movies less than tomorrow's generation.

Nice utube link on 'edge'. Lol, boy those people are serious - they taped their timeline synopsis to the table :lol:.

I liked both cruz movs alot, and even the new cinderella vs the old. :D
Butyeah, you guys really know your stuff!

Yeah, generational gap for sure.

Some of my taste in old movies goes back to the " good ol days" Only us really old farts now remember them. It was 1965, you got 4 channels, but two so fuzzy you'd only watch them for the Sci Fi movies. PBS even sucked back then, so in effect you had one channel on TV that came in clear and you just watched whatever came on. We still went to movies every weekend then, and you'd see stuff like Lawrence of Arabia, or any double feature, and your parents would have 3-4 hours for sex.

But the bright spot in that bleak media existence was the weekday afternoon matinee show on CBS. They ran anything cheap they could get their hands on, which turned out to be heavy on the British movies. So I got to see great stuff like early Peter Sellers flix, or great ( for an 8 year old) war propaganda flix like the Dam Busters, or Cockleshell Heros. I particularly loved the British heist movies. This primed me for later, when the older brothers dragged me to Film Society. I was only 12 years old, but thanks to the afternoon matinee, I was ready for Felini.

RE Star Wars, It's the Kurosawa movie Hidden Fortress with a heavy rewrite. You have to start with the Kurosawa to grok a lot of movies. Star Wars, Magnificent Seven, Fist full of Dollars. All great movies to be sure, on the short list. But the Kurosawa is on the even shorter list.

Hulu for the greatest Japanese movies. They have the best of Blind Swordsman, the best of Kurosawa, and lots of other great films there, mostly based on Samurai days, like lots of our USA movies tell the story as a western. Turn the sound off, hide the subtitles, and those older samurai movies still blow you away with cinematography.

Yeah, there is a generation gap. Newer movies don't get the same respect from old folks because those of us who have been around a while have seen it all before, and remember a time when stories could be grittier, less PC, and less pu$$ifiesd. Lets face it, You couldn't even shoot Blazing Saddles in this age of Political correctness, and today's audience would be too busy being offended to laugh.

Not wanting to badmouth movies, but since these were asked about, here's why the Cruise weren't on my list.

Oblivion was good, and would have been much better without Cruise. Imagine it recast with Chris Pine, Jason Stathon, or even Mark Whallberg. Someone who can portray humanity in all it's depth while still coming across as cold and detached as the character needed to be. Morgan freeman, Olga Kurylenko, and Andrea Riseborough carried that movie.

Edge was also good and a good match for Cruise, but Emily Blunt kept it from being great. Her character had almost no depth, and she failed at portraying the badass warrior that part needed. That could also partly be the fault of the director. The story was great, even if it was just a remix of Starship Troopers and Groundhog Day. Maybe it should have been called Groundhog Troopers? :mrgreen:

But that's the perspective of someone who remembers a time when the only way to see an older movie was to wait until one of the five TV stations decided to Air it.

On a positive note. Serenity. Best Damn Space movie in the 'Verse.
[youtube]JY3u7bB7dZk[/youtube]

How come I'm the only one that actually links the movie?

'Serenity' with a budget. Ah, what a thought. What they accomplished with not much. . . .

Generation gap mostly applies to being less demanding when you're a teenager, etc. So I was a Film/TV student as my brother began to go to the movies with a date, go to R movies, to post high school film choices, etc. I was noting the difference the whole time. The 'Star Wars' generation grew up with it, the three films were still more or less adult, for all the simplicity of them. It was the next 3 that were children's movies. Hmmm. 5-10 years later he was embarrassed to be reminded some of the films he really liked.

Myself, I never got over 'Raiders of the Lost Ark.' Went to see it with my fellow students. They DID get over it.

[youtube]vAaFgCrDVF4[/youtube]

Have to admit, nothing I've seen is that new. Part of that is I can't shut up in a movie theater, the other part I won't give my money to the biggest A hole in town, who owns all the theaters. Nor will I pay a lot to stream very new stuff.

But of the older "new" stuff, the one that impressed me most was the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, both the Daniel Craig movie and the subtitled TV series version. But the book is best. The 6 hour TV version of all three books is on Netflix.

Drunkskunk said:
On a positive note. Serenity. Best Damn Space movie in the 'Verse.
^^this^^ :)

Wish they'd had some other "network" than Fox to start Firefly out on...it might've been "allowed" to succeed in it's goodness. :/

dogman dan said:
... the one that impressed me most was the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

HAH. Amateur. I got a tattoo of a dragon riding an ebike.
file.php

Okay, I have a generational film for you. I really liked the teen movie 'Divergent.' I want to go to the kids section of the library and check out the whole series of the books; then again, maybe I won't. The best part is that the heroes are DAUNTLESS!

If you haven't seen 'Insurgent' yet. . . .

[youtube]94U6mHdT2lo[/youtube]

Yeah! Divergent was decent! White Bird in a Blizzard was good too imo, with the same actress I tink. Dif genre tho- I don't even remember what it was about too much, just that I was impressed.
Way more than her other movie: fault in our stars - I called that outcome from the beginning, so was real disappointed the movie went nowhere for me.

DogmanDan, Yeah, it would be way too expensive. I'm surprised so much is right on utube. Just install adblock- And then there's always P2P.

Edit/// Oh yeah, and Dragon Tattoo WAS great! Reminded me a little of shutter island for some reason, in a good way. Of course book adaptations are ?better? if you haven't already read the book?

Fury Road, was def watchable. Better than the last one you mentioned imo :lol:
PS, M, VVVV you can't del your posts after someone has posted after.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/builder-official-teaser.html

The trouble with classic existing movies is that you've probably already seen them. We all know Casablanca is a cool move, but you've already digested it, and cinema is an evolving art that you must keep abreast of. Why should you spend your movie-indulgent time on the old when the new is available?
If you want to be current, a torrent program, like utorrent, is essential.
My wife advocates for Poltergeist 2015. [youtube]ViWTPto3atU[/youtube]

Thanks Nehmo!!! Hells yeah- and some of those horror's can be pretty good. The last chick I was with liked to watch em all the time for 'sexytime' lol. Talk about positive reinforcement :D

Any 'fans' catch Montage of Heck ? I'm pretty sure you should be a fan to enjoy, but I also bet I might be wrong.

It's produced by his daughter, and I think is done very well. Rest, Kurt Cobain.

I was just rereading and didnt' realize you liked 'Divergent' AND 'Insurgent' Dauntless. What relation are they? I am hoping the newer has the same actress, but looks doubtful. Just gonna watch it though. Didn't watch the trailer or read any reviews lol.

For 'older new' movies I can recommend two that remind me of each other, prob cuz they're both 'action' and Gerard Butler/ Hugh Jackman seem similar. Definitely diff flavors of 'action' though.

Law Abiding Citizen 2009 imdb 7.4
[youtube]hhggWWMw4_E[/youtube]

The Wolverine 2009 imdb 6.7
[youtube]4MX923EiEBA[/youtube]

Some of the others mentioned:
6.8 divergent
7 oblivion
7.9 edge of tomorrow
8 startrek 2009
7.8 startrek 2013
7.8 giri w/dragon tattoo
8.4 Fury road (*facepalm :D give that one time to sink in/get more votes?)

OH! And check out Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy, and also The Giver. Both great imo, and kinda have some interesting similarities.

nutspecial said:
I was just rereading and didnt' realize you liked 'Divergent' AND 'Insurgent' Dauntless. What relation are they? I am hoping the newer has the same actress, but looks doubtful.

Oh, her look changed dramatically for the second, but it's still her. The first was head and shoulders above the second. Mainly because the first introduced so much, the second was about the 'Panic of the Moment.' Rarely a satisfying theme. The ending of the second seems like it's all over, but there's a third book. That one is such an unhappy story, maybe they'll skip it. Maybe I will.

When your 'Law Abiding Citizen' clip ends, they'll have a frame for the full movie to choose from. I liked Gerard Butler in 'Phantom of the Opera.' Even if it's nothing like the book. Erik is NOT a psycho killer in the book, that's just a running joke that they talk about him that way. And he's NOT deformed, only Christine is seen in the Deathface in the book. Oh, you never see her that way in any of the movies.

So here's a low budgeter from 5 years ago. Just out of school I read the Directors book about his days undercover. While NYPD originally disavowed him, they eventually admitted he really WAS a cop, really DID get shot in the face, etc. All while also appearing as a Doctor in a soap opera. Meanwhile the special effects creature guy used to live near me when I was a teenager, I helped a little of him making these shorts to show off his work. Shoulda tried to hang close, he went places, at least compared to me. I hear one of the actors got lost driving around in Baja looking for the location, so the Director had to don the creature makeup.

So for just $400,000 this is a well done movie. What an incredible chess game of a story.

[youtube]4WzIUze13f8[/youtube]

Sweatiest movie ever: Cool Hand Luke.

Bad Day at Black Rock; see a one-armed Spenser Tracy kick the crap out of Earnest Borgnine.

Kelley's Heros is a favorite from childhood and is still now. Also, High Noon and Little Big Man are must-see movies.

All good picks. I've been using the catchphrase "we have a failure to communicate" for years.

Back