Cross-Canada by Ebike

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikereidis said:
Congrats on trip completion Justin ! I presume you took a quick dip in Halifax, but left the bike on shore.... :)

Hi Mike, you are bang on here!

The stormy arrival dampened my original enthusiasm to jump in at first sight of the ocean, preferring the idea of a warm futon and dry pyjamas instead. But eventually the itch came back, and so....

Kerplunk!

(tastes just like the Pacific)

Zoot Katz said:
zenon said:
Hi Justin!
P.S. When is that train arriving in Vancouver?

There was no train leaving Halifax on the 30th. The earliest he can leave is Oct. 2.
That puts the scheduled arrival in Vancouver Oct 7th at 07:50 PDT.

Zoots is right, but these days our Canadian passenger trains are as good at staying on time as our freight trains are at staying on the tracks. So actual arrival time could vary a lot!

Next Friday a few days after I get back is the monthly Kilowatt-Hour ebike ride, so how about we have a big gathering for that occasion? This will give all the people in Vancouver on this forum who I spurned a bit by sneaking off at 3am with no warning a chance to meet up and be a part of the trek. Steve Luscher has been diligently hosting this for over a year now, leaving at 6pm from the downtown library with an open invitation to ebike riders to join in, and it would be a great for us all to show up with a massive turnout:
http://ev.meetup.com/1/

Plus, I will have my apparently famous recumbentified-electrified-Xtracycle for people to see and try. I really was planning to be altogether done with the bike in Halifax, but enough people suggested it was worth saving that I boxed it all up. With a 50lb per baggage limit on Via Rail, that meant one box for the bicycle, one box for the Xtracycle add-on and varied bike hardware, another large box for the aluminum rear cargo bin and a few batteries, and then a 4th box for the remaining batteries and electronics. Big thanks goes out to a nameless ebike parts collector and enthusiast in Halifax who helped me out with all that.

As I was moving the hefty boxes one at a time on the weight scale, I couldn't help but wonder how I hauled all this sh$%t out here on a bicycle?!

Justin ( currently at a layover in Toronto, seeing the whole trip flash backwards in rapid time )

Hi Justin, Great thread! I've been following it from start to finish. Congratulations on your fantastic trek! I will try to round up Cory and Zenon for the kilowatt hour. Last month was the biggest kilowatt hour ride with only 8 attendees. This one will surely be a record breaker. I love those shots of you dashing to the Atlantic Ocean, they are priceless! See you in Vancouver, take care and put your feet up!

Hi Justin,

So glad the bike remains whole, in your possession, and salt free LOL. Keep it in your store and on display it is now a classic historical item. People In the 10 to 30 decades from now you talked about will be able to see and perhaps ride the first transcontinental e-bike.

Imagine the comments when e-travel is a reality and not confined to we hobbyists 25 - 30 yrs from now!
"How did it ever make it on those overweight underpowered batteries?"
"Forget the batteries look at the antique motor"
"What are those foot things for Daddy?"
"Why did he need 3 battery chargers? He could have exchanged them at any battery service station today!"
"I don't think those batteries are available anymore."
"Just imagine that controller was his 15th edition! We are still using his updated firmware in our car with his 200th edition Cruisermatic."
"It only averaged 2.4% regen! Why if we got under 25% regen we would trade our vehicle in."
"Look at the antique extracycle! Haven't seen one like that for 20 years"

What other comments would the rest of you add for 30 years in the future?

P.S. keep the orange tarp Justin. I hope it was useful!

Hi Justin

Wow! that's brave! ha ha I dipped my toes in it last week and it was pretty chilly! I was holidaying in west Wales here in the UK, if I kept swimming I would have been able to join ya :lol:

Great to hear from you and super pleased that you have decided to keep the bike, I agree with the the others on here that it should be kept as testament to what you have done.

Bet you are keen to get back now? things will seem a little odd for a while when you get back home, you most probably will find your self still looking out for charging spots when you are out and about!

Best of luck with the return trip, enjoy the ride and keep taking those pictures, we need a fix on the return journey as well you know!!

Cheers

Knoxie

Congratulation Justin, you made it! You're great, keep up the good work! I can't wait to see pictures and details! :D

justin_le
100 W

This is too low, I demand the moderator bump up his rating !! GRIN.

Justin Explain to the Train people what you just did and what is in the boxes see if they'll sponsor your return fair ( or at least that of the bike). After all you took one electric vehicle across country and are about to take another ( Deisel electric train) the other way!

It would surprise me if Justin didn't, at some point during the trip, wangle a tour of the innards of that train - even if just to ogle the generators and control system :)

Sooooo glad you elected to keep the bike intact.

newjeff said:
"What are those foot things for Daddy?"
I prefer to think bicycles will still exist 20-300 years from now. :?

Mathurin said:
I prefer to think bicycles will still exist 20-300 years from now. :?
"Pedal-assist".

The bike stayed on the beach, but I didn't!
Plunge

I was looking forward to you on YouTube yelling "I'm going to meet Knoxie now" and then ride the e-bike into the Ocean---Oh Well.

Let us not forget the years of planning Justin did to make this trip possible and the enthusiasm he has for E-bikes. If it weren't for fellow enthusiasts across Canada offering a warm/dry place to sleep and a 120 ac outlet I feel this trip would be quite daunting. I congradulate all of you who welcomed Justin into your homes. I'm sure his experience on the road will affect the product line at e-bikes.ca. Alot of people across the country have learned alot from Justin and I'm sure vice-versa. His controller is awesome! I want 2! :D
I hope he does this trip again next year but this time use a purpose built bike like the yubo mundo to carry all the cargo. He won't break that rear wheel :p
Waterproofing is a problem and I hope Justin likes my idea of ignition spray inside the controllers and motors; I did this and I havn't had a water related problem since.
I hope to see Justin again next year as he is a great advocate for electric bikes.
Ben...

Hey, Justin, how about a video of the KilowattHour Meeting so that all of us here can enjoy it with you?
Secondly, I emailed the Vancouver Museum to see if they would mount a display of your bike or if they knew of a more appropriate venue that would, hope you don't mind, you can always say no. :lol:

Congratulation Justin !!!. Definetly you are writing the ebike history.

If one day you decide to cross from north America to south America (Canada to Chile), let us know. We'll be glad to receive you here !!!

Saludos desde Viña del Mar, Chile
Rodrigo
http://www.movielectric.cl

HI GUYS
We met Justin at the the station this afternoon.The stopover was to be two hours but it turned into a fifteen minute dash to the grocery store.He is in good shape and very hungery.
EDWIN

you done your best and past the test
now you can rest
so many miles and lots of smiles
bravo
way to go
you are the star of the show

awsome on ya
Cory

Congratulations Justin !
You must be home by now.
You must be so happy !
What an accomplishment !
I hope to see you in Vancouver soon.
Ross

EDWIN said:
HI GUYS
We met Justin at the the station this afternoon.The stopover was to be two hours but it turned into a fifteen minute dash to the grocery store.He is in good shape and very hungery.
EDWIN

:mrgreen:

Well I hope he got food at that grocery store and has sated his hunger... I presume the "train food" was somewhere between non-existent, non-edible and non-sanely priced. :) (ROFL!)

mikereidis said:
Well I hope he got food at that grocery store and has sated his hunger... I presume the "train food" was somewhere between non-existent, non-edible and non-sanely priced. :) (ROFL!)

Hee, well the train food was surprisingly OK, but the train showers were quite non-existent.

Anyways, it all arrived in the Vancouver station more or less on time this morning. Zev, Alison, and Mark were there to greet me.

Welcoming_Crew.jpg

Look how ordinary my bicycle has become! It's ridiculous, the entire cargo trike was overflowing with all the gear and bike parts that I managed to ride all the way across canada with. The regen braking is well considerably more effective now that I don't have the 170lb of vehicle inertia to stop. But, I'll be refitting the Xtracycle, recumbent seat, and all of the batteries and such this afternoon.

We'll be at the Foundation (2301 Main St) for a late dinner and/or drinks this evening. See I saw my ticket originally said 7:50 arrival time and just assumed that was pm, and they planned accordingly. In any case 8:30 pm it is. Hope to see a few of you there.

Now off to the shower!

Justin

Welcome home Justin!

... and still not a single mention on a national news broadcast that this trip has occurred. The Canadian media should be ashamed of itself! I don't care if Justin refused interviews etc.. They should still have mentioned it.

Lessss said:
... and still not a single mention on a national news broadcast that this trip has occurred. The Canadian media should be ashamed of itself! I don't care if Justin refused interviews etc.. They should still have mentioned it.

We don't need no stinkin publicity!

We all know this was an historic event!

Welcome home Justin, well done young fellow!

Wish I lived in Vancouver just to see the unbeatable smile not to mention the incredible stories he has to tell!!!!!

By the way the Toronto sun published a story September 21 page 33 under Canada votes. Title Banana-seat revolution by a political writer.

There was not much on Justin's trip just the writer's views on the parties green positions.

They (the press) seem to think we are an underground movement trying to do away with cars!

here is the article hope it comes through.

Sorry the article is in jpg format and it looks like it didn't post.

If you e-mail me I can send you a copy?

here is my e-mail address

bwicksted@rogers.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back