Plugging in Mean Well power supplies and it trips the house!

camerons98

100 mW
I just purchased some Mean Well power supplies from ebay to charge my new 72v 14aH pack for my latest build but I've hooked 3 up in series to get 72v and whenever I plug it into the mains it trips the whole house instantly.
I was under the impression that I could plug these directly into my battery and charge it?
Atteched is a picture of how i've got it wired up, any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to charge my pack ASAP!

Thanks, Cameron.

Attachments

• 20150912_112923.jpg
    20150912_112923.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 970
It seems you isolated the cases but then tied them together again with the earth ground. Try removing the earth ground between them.

Removed the earth and they're powering up perfectly, thanks!!
Final question.. do I just adjust the voltage pots so that its outputting 74v which is the nominal of my battery and then plug the battery in and it will charge by itself?

Thanks!

camerons98 said:
Removed the earth and they're powering up perfectly, thanks!!
Final question.. do I just adjust the voltage pots so that its outputting 74v which is the nominal of my battery and then plug the battery in and it will charge by itself?

Thanks!
Set the voltage for the fully charged voltage. If your battery is a 20S LiCo or LiPo variety, that would be 4.2V per cell or 84V total.

You can charge at a lower voltage (say 82V) if you want to limit to ~90% max SOC. That will extend the lifespan of the battery, but reduce the capacity (range) by 10%

Look on the face plate, it is printed the place where is the POT to adjust voltage up or down. Use a small screwdriver, you can adjust one only for this should give you enough range to match your battery.

Back