Worst Crashes/Accidents/Failures etc on E-bike: Bring pics

Gloop said:
I didn't want to start a new thread but this seems sort of applicable to this thread...

Today i caught a thief stealing my $220 Cycle Lumenator light....i wouldn't let him leave with it so he punched me in the face. Result, bleeding lip.
I wouldn't let him go and made a huge scene and eventually he threw it under a car and took off.

Third bicycle related injury so far with e-bikes,,,
First was cycling downhill without holding the handlebars, developed a shim and went for a tumble. Injured knee and elbow.
Second was getting hit by that car.

I dont know what I'd do if I caught someone trying to steal my stuff. My instant response is a swift kick to the back of the head then tazer them in the face until they pass out. The Australian justice system is pretty fubar in some ways. You're not allowed to attack someone to protect your property. You're only allowed to defend yourself. So if someone is trying to steal your bike/car/motorbike, you legally cant do anything except stand there and say "No!", "Stop!", "I curse you heathen!". If you injure them to protect your property, you'll be charged with assault.

Man that's strange. Across the whole country?
Are pets property? What if someone is killing/raping your pet?
What if you have an 'active' alarm system on your house or bike?
It would be really funny if they can steal things AND sue you for getting hurt on them, (like cracked headtube and a faceplant)

Don't get me wrong, it's enlightened not to physically harm someone for stealing your stuff, but for it to be mandated law- ?

Unlike Texas, where you can legally kill someone for stealing and breaking into your house.
Do metropolitan areas in Australia have lots of cameras like the UK does? are they city/gov't cameras?

I think you can stop them, cant you, get in their way and when they attack you have the right to defend. Walk up to them and take what they are taking away from them, they get upset throw punch then you can knock em out in one punch.

nutspecial said:
Man that's strange. Across the whole country?
Are pets property? What if someone is killing/raping your pet?
What if you have an 'active' alarm system on your house or bike?
It would be really funny if they can steal things AND sue you for getting hurt on them, (like cracked headtube and a faceplant)

Don't get me wrong, it's enlightened not to physically harm someone for stealing your stuff, but for it to be mandated law- ?

Yeah its across the whole country. There was an incident earlier this year where someone was stealing a builder/tradies car (with his trailer attached and all his tools to make a living). If he lost the trailer with all his tools in it, he'd be out of work on top of the costs to replace the tools. Anyways... The owner of the car ran out... chased him in another car and a confrontation occurred. The builder ran the theif over and got charged for assault. (thief was put in hospital).

the builder ran the theif over and got charged for assault. (thief was put in hospital).
Theif was out of the victims vehicle.

Being charged for something, and being convicted are two totally separate issues.
Prosecutors over charge defendants all the time, and in most if not all cases the charges are reduced.
I dont know why they do it, I think its to scare the defendant so the prosecutor can up their conviction rate and look good for promotion.
Thats why theres so much misconduct in the courts.
However the police have to go to the prosecutor to see if the police can lay charges. If theres sufficient evidence etc.

But yeah that law in Australia is messed up.

Gloop said:
I didn't want to start a new thread but this seems sort of applicable to this thread...

Today i caught a thief stealing my $220 Cycle Lumenator light....i wouldn't let him leave with it so he punched me in the face. Result, bleeding lip.
I wouldn't let him go and made a huge scene and eventually he threw it under a car and took off.

First was cycling downhill without holding the handlebars, developed a shim and went for a tumble. Injured knee and elbow.

There were statistics that one out of every four bikes are stolen every year.

And, one out of five owners will not buy another bike.

That's why I prefer electric scooters.

Avoid these common danger factors

Most dangerous
#1 Riding at night without proper lights - #1 percentage and severity statistic (totally idiotic!)
#2 Riding against traffic - paranoid, misguided beginners mistake
#3 Riding on sidewalk-crosswalks - #1 numerical accident statistic! ... illegal in most city statutes
#4 Riding on sidewalks against traffic
#5 passing cars on right (USA passenger side)
#6 "Filtering" between slow-stopped vehicles

Contributory Factor
#1 Insufficient or poorly adjusted brakes
#2 Cell phone use
#3 one or no hand cycling
#4 headphones-music
Being an A hole promotes like or amplified behavior from others (If you kick a persons car or mirror ... anticipate a definite probability in his car stomping your bike ... and you! Numerous videos on YouTube ... actual percentage not specified)

Gloop said:

I hate nothing more than a bike thief. Well... maybe a bike parts thief, since they are just incompetent whole-bike thieves that couldn't manage to steal the whole bike. True that you cannot attack a thief legally in many places, so you have to make sure to tell the cops that the thief made an aggressive move like an attack when your 'fight or flight' mechanism decide it was scared of heights. After that, it was a blur of adrenaline.

Then of course it's his word against yours. Then you also point out that the bike thief's word is basically shit based on the intentions that brought him to your acquaintance in the first place.

markz said:
I think you can stop them, cant you, get in their way and when they attack you have the right to defend. Walk up to them and take what they are taking away from them, they get upset throw punch then you can knock em out in one punch.

Well thats all good in theory !
..unfortunately, a lot of the petty theft these days is addicts looking for something to trade for their next hit,..and more frequently the drug of choice is Ice/crack, and if the fellon is still doped up, they have no inhibitions and no sense of pain often with hyped up strength etc...
...so the probability of a knife/ bottle / screwdriver in your face is much enhanced ! :shock:
what do you value most ?..your bike or your sight ?
Personally. i dont favor the hand to ?? ( unknown quantity) combat, i would...
a) use a camera
b) look around for a big weapon ( 2x2, brick, chair, etc) to threaten with
c) make a lot of noise..and hope the thief gets the message !

U-locks are good for more than securing your bike.

Chalo said:

That's very true. A zombie crackhead might not have a painful sensation, but it won't matter if he's out cold.

cal3thousand said:
Chalo said:

That's very true. A zombie crackhead might not have a painful sensation, but it won't matter if he's out cold.

Dead is preferable to me. Call it a post term abortion if it makes you feel better.

you should buy ebike insurance. 12 bucks a month means I can park my bike anywhere at anytime for however long I want. 100 dollar deductible. Way cheaper than a fast pass to take public transport around here (83 fcking bucks per month). No more avoiding "bad" neighborhoods. Note renter's insurance does not cover ebikes.

Park your bike for as long as you want, until people realize how long your bike is there and start taking parts off your bike.

Seen it done many times.

flathill said:
you should buy ebike insurance. 12 bucks a month means I can park my bike anywhere at anytime for however long I want. 100 dollar deductible. Way cheaper than a fast pass to take public transport around here (83 fcking bucks per month). No more avoiding "bad" neighborhoods. Note renter's insurance does not cover ebikes.

Homeowners insurance does cover ebikes and escooters!

Chalo said:

Not in downtown areas. See many videos on YouTube, nobody stops bike thieves.

However, there are U-locks with alarms, and U-locks with alarms and transmitter to a remote receiver that buzz when the lock is moved around (2-stage alarm, warning and final alarm.) The cost of the transmitting U-lock was $50 on ebay in 2010.

Electric scooters and electric motorcycles have built-in motion-sensing alarms.

For electric bikes, use a motion sensing alarm and GMRS walkie talkie on VOX, in a saddlebag. You will hear it in the receiver GMRS in your pocket, up to a kilometer away, and then yell "stop this thief!" back to your bike. This saved my ebikes for 7 years.

ozman said:
Hi guys
In 2012 i built a bike for commuting to work due to suspension of my drivers license.
Build was a hard tail 26inch mountain bike 203mm disc brake front and rear
18 fet from Lyen
HS 35mm Crystalyte motor, CA and 12s lipo
top speed was about 60km/ph
Anyhow made it to work and back home for 11 months of my 12 month suspension then one day coming home from work whilst travelling down the steepest hill of the route home a car apparently made a U turn in front of me.
woke up in hospital in a neck brace a stinking headache and two broken bones in my right arm that required surgery thank god for the morphine.
I would probably be dead if i wasn't wearing a helmet.
I still have no memory of the actual accident but my neck and arm have healed now so i reckon its time for a new build.
I loved that bike but it ended up pretty beaten up.

MORAL LESSON: Good braking is missing on most high-speed ebikes.

Apparently my old bike got jealous of my new ebike and decided to throw me over the handlebars (or it was dark and I could`t see a massive hole in the ground). Busted shoulder.

Outcome: Minor surgery to stitch bones back in place and 6 weeks away from bikes.

fEQG2S8l.jpg

It still looks fine here, but the little piece moved like a kneecap in the shoulder...

I hope you are feeling better ewinters.

I thought I'd share with you the demise of my beloved Kona hybrid in a multi-vehicle collision this morning. I was lucky to come out of it more or less intact.

I was riding on the road headed west (left to right) on my way to work in Vancouver. The eastbound red Nissan was T-boned in an intersection (right of image) and forced into the oncoming westbound black SUV (seen smoking in the background) and my bike. I was thrown over a low fence into someone's front yard along with my panniers, so I was able to remove my phone from the bags and snap the pic moments after the collision.

July 2016 update (and since this is an ebike forum):

I became very sore and suffered complete neck + upper back immobility, and the interesting thing is that the symptoms didn't fully manifest until 4 days post-collision. After 9 months of weekly physiotherapy and daily exercises, I'm to the point where I'm no longer aggravating my neck and upper back doing mundane daily activities.

I tool 4 months off bike riding entirely, as the jarring from rough roads was intolerable. I repaired my Kona mid-February and started to ride part way to work by using a hitch mounted bike carrier. Even the following April, I was aggravating my neck by about Day 3 of a 7km daily commute, and I figured it was the hills, which necessitated pulling on the handlebars with the downstroke for added power.

I had been riding a non-electric bike to work up to the time of the accident because the legal top speed of 32kph was woefully inadequate and I could easily acheive 38-40kph on level pavement unassisted. Being legal was important to me for the exact reason I post here - in this accident, where I was not at fault, I would have been left uninsured should my ride not have conformed to regulations.

Being unable to complete my daily 2-way 14km ride to work and having trouble with the hills, I re-visited the idea of an ebike build that conforms to local regulation, as it was now feasible; hence my build: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76519&p=1155327&hilit=kona+q128#p1155327

Well, I was pleasantly surprised when I tested my build after completing it in May 2016 and I was able to achieve (not without some pain) 35-38kph un-powered on level grade, owing to the small 500W geared Q128c mounted to a light Kona hybrid. I was right about the hills, and being able to have assistance made the difference between 3 days painful half way trips vs completing 5 days full commute. After logging 1600Km between May and late July, I'm riding to work the vast majority of days and I can put the effort into the commute based on how I'm feeling. I need only 200-300W on hills and have programmed the controller accordingly. If I want to go faster than 32 kph on level grades/downhills, I turn off the motor. With the whole kit weighing in around 10 lb, the mod has much less effect on my potential top speed than my injuries. Week by week, I'm slowly getting stronger...

Aug 2017 update: Now mostly healed but still enjoying the Q128c build, which now has 6000 km on it, mainly from my work commute. Since things are settled, I will post a picture of the accident.

20151015_091359_resized_anon_es.jpg

^ :shock: Car looks like it took a decent hit. Hope your alright!

Caught the front wheel parallel to a bit of curbing and belly flopped off the bike in front of the very pedestrian (headphones, wandering from side to side of the pavement) I was avoiding. Not really an accident compared to everyone elses, mostly ego bruised! :oops: Curious, pedestrian just kept walking as if nothing happened....

Whoops.
file.php

file.php

Thankfully it happened at home, as I got off the trike after getting home from work, instead of during the commute, or I'd be (hopefully) posting a crash rather than just a failure. :/

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&p=1113428#p1113428

flathill said:

Thanks for your post. Imo, this is the correct strategy. Don't hurt anyone over material things.

Has happened to my bikes and trailers.

The insurance company bought me new toys to replace the used ones.

The police don't catch thieves -- the police/prosecutors play a "catch and release" game. Saw this several times.

Look at any loss spiritually.

ewinters said:
Apparently my old bike got jealous of my new ebike and decided to throw me over the handlebars (or it was dark and I could`t see a massive hole in the ground). Busted shoulder.

Outcome: Minor surgery to stitch bones back in place and 6 weeks away from bikes.

fEQG2S8l.jpg

It still looks fine here, but the little piece moved like a kneecap in the shoulder...

Just told a good friend to not buy a bicycle because pedalling is dangerous, as you pointed out with your accident.

Studies: Scooters are safer than mopeds. Bicycling is more dangerous than motorcycles, probably.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/53964/scooters-safer-than-mopeds-and-motorcycles-study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23631933

https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/imsc2013/Oct17_Session1-Blackman-Comparison_of_Moped_Scooter_and_Motorcycle_Crashes_PAPER.pdf

Back