DAMNIT... they don't fit!

nomad85

10 kW
I bought some Maxxis hookworms for my mountain e-bike. got everything ready to install, and they don't freaking fit. It looks like they would just barely fit if I wasn't using a hub motor. Does anyone know of a cheap(new or used) bike that can accept the hookworms with a rear hub motor? Man I was so looking forward to using these things...

So wait...how exactly does the hub play into the tire not fitting?

I bet it's frame clearance problems.

Doh.. sorry yeah its frame clearance that's the problem. Seems like the hub motor wheel slightly changes the position or the tire as the normal wheel is perfectly centered, and I have more clearance than I need on one side and contact with the frame on the other. Any recommendations for a suitable (cheap, but nice) bike that can accept these tires? I'll just leave this bike as is since I have an extra e-bike kit to use, now I will have 3 e-bikes:)

nomad85 said:
Doh.. sorry yeah its frame clearance that's the problem. Seems like the hub motor wheel slightly changes the position or the tire as the normal wheel is perfectly centered, and I have more clearance than I need on one side and contact with the frame on the other.

Sounds like it could be remedied with a spoke wrench to pull the rim over or maybe fit a spacer on the axle.

spacer....maybe, maybe not. Dishing more likely.

I don't know even if I did get it in, it would be awfully close, eventually it would likely rub if the wheel gets out of true. I think I would rather get another bike with wider clearance and either keep this bike as is or sell it.

same thing with me. bought some hookworms and it rubs in the frame and the kickstand. The looked baddass though when it was inflated on the rim. I still got mines collecting dust. The reason they dont fit is it is 2.5" I think for my bike, they max i can have is 2.0.

I know this dont help with the 26 hookworm.. but If you have a non disc rear motor, run only a plug rear brake then you can probly go down in wheel diameter and run a fatty. I'm going to try to fit a 24x3.0 this way on frame designed for 590mm tires. If you're looking to go cheap this should work with any old used craigslist MTB frame.

set said:
same thing with me. bought some hookworms and it rubs in the frame and the kickstand. The looked baddass though when it was inflated on the rim. I still got mines collecting dust. The reason they dont fit is it is 2.5" I think for my bike, they max i can have is 2.0.

They do look pretty sweet.. even after all the frustration, I can't help but admire them... Need to find a bike they will work with!

the hook worms work super on my heavy trikes, i have had no tire or flat problems with the hook worms and i spin the crap out of them with the etek powered trike.. i know this dont help you out but i thought id throw in a plug for the worms

The Hank slick tire might fit. Its smaller 26x2.2 and looks bad ass.

Mine fits, but only just. You can see that the frame narrows at just the spot.
Clearance is 3-4 mm either side.
Hookworm.jpg

Bike Giant Alias
Rim Downhill rear 559x30mm
Tyre Maxxis Hookworm 26" x 2.5"

Greg

I got about 6mm clearance on the Hanks and they are 3/4" shorter then a Hookworm.

nomad85 said:
Doh.. sorry yeah its frame clearance that's the problem. Seems like the hub motor wheel slightly changes the position or the tire as the normal wheel is perfectly centered, and I have more clearance than I need on one side and contact with the frame on the other. Any recommendations for a suitable (cheap, but nice) bike that can accept these tires? I'll just leave this bike as is since I have an extra e-bike kit to use, now I will have 3 e-bikes:)

Heed Katz advice, use a spoke wrench, you can adjust a wheel and it's not hard, I saw my bike mechanic do it in a few minutes, I was amazed and while he did it, I saw the logic. The spokes on one side will pull the tire and vice versa...

Good luck.

Yeah! I adjusted the spokes and the wheel just barely fits now:) I may take it to a bike shop to get it all trued up, I don't want to mess it up too much working on it myself.
Thanks for the advice :D

All you really have to do is take the bike and wheel to any bike shop and ask them to change the dishing on the wheel. They will loosen all the spokes and re-center the wheel to the right spot in between the frame stays. It isn't that expensive and you really want the wheel in the right place.

If the wheel isn't in the center of the frame you will encounter a bunch of weird handling characteristics that aren't very nice, so the issue is actually wider than just getting the tire to fit. You actually had a problem before you put the larger tire on, and by increasing the tire size until one side rubbed - you just brought the problem to your attention. Also, bending the frame to account for a dishing problem will only weaken something that you really don't want any weaker. Don't bring just the wheel, bring the wheel and the frame so they can get it right.

Lor

Back