Ok, time for an update since a bunch of stuff has showed up, and finals week is coming up (meaning I can relax!).
First of all, I dusted off the bike and brought it in. Here it is with new brakes and a rack added to the back to hold up the power supply and controller (and whatever else can fit):http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/jcganley/Raleigh_C40_before.jpg
A day later, I got the NineContinent Kit from Ebikes.ca (thanks to Justin, Alison, and Zev):http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/jcganley/9Cont_Kit_Contents.jpg
Here you can see the hub motor with 700C wheel, thumb throttle, 20 A controller (which I'll use for the initial tests) and the Cycle Analyst. I also got the regen controller from Kelly but I am having to pull some major creative moves to get the 8 pins connected to the 14 pin junction. If someone knows where I can get a real 14-pole female plug for that thing (seems to be 3/4" diameter) please let me know. Both I and Radio Shack are stumped. If I'm not too embarassed by the results I'll post them here with a photo later on.
Anyway, with a student's help I was able to quickly get the tire and inner tube on the wheel, and snapped it into a vise:http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/jcganley/hub_with_tire.jpg
Ready for a spinup test. I used alligator clips where necessary and put my variac-bridge rectifier combo back to work, shown here providing 24 VDC:http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/jcganley/24VDC.jpg
Note the bolted-on inverted aluminum test tube holder acting as a heat sink for the rectifier. That thing got really hot during capacitor charging and squirting it with alcohol to keep it cool was getting old. Ok, I'm going to try and add a video, spinup test at 24 VDC:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4PIvWys9E4
We only went to half throttle to make sure that thing wouldn't twist out of the vise. I had to spin it by hand to get it going, as it appears that the NineContinent controller requires "pedal first," kind of annoying, but the Kelly shouldn't require that (I think). Here again at 48 VDC:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxCXv57DpFo
Yes, I know, boring. I also spun it by hand with the controller on and off just to check the dreaded rolling drag without load, it didn't seem too bad (we'll see more later).
Anyway, after that I was ready to start tackling the Kelly controller, which allows for regen. As others have noted on this board before, the Kelly controller can have its own independent power source and uses only a small amount of current. The voltage can be anywhere from 18 to 90 volts or something crazy like that, but I don't want to be up a creek without a controller if the capacitor is completely discharged. So, I wanted to connect 18 AA batteries (NiMH) in series just for the controller. I had a great plan to make a wooden frame:http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/jcganley/Wood_frame_before.jpg
You can see my plans on the piece of paper. I used the mill to cut battery-sitting grooves into the wood:http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/jcganley/Wood_frame_after.jpg
and put in some nickel foil contact strips, along with some bolted-in terminals:http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/jcganley/contact_strips.jpg
The result: horrible, I couldn't even get the two sides joined up. There was much cursing. Then, I found some 1/2" schedule 40 PVC tube from an old experiment, which happens to have roughly the same inside diameter as a AA cell. The result:http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/jcganley/battery_tubes.jpg
24 volts of duct-taped goodness that I can see through. I actually made some improvements on this and it looks a little better than this photo, but you get the idea. I can use this pack or recharge it with my DC power supply (voltage and current limited) as needed, but since the Kelly draws about 37 mA during operation, these 2500 mAh cells will give me several days' worth if required.
For now it's back to MacGyvering the Kelly input junction.