E-Bike Expo: Ride the Newest E-Bikes in Phoenix

I went to the Ebike show in Tempe yesterday. It was much more fun than I was expecting, and I stayed hours longer than planned. I rode half dozen ebikes, including road, hybrid, and full suspension mountain bikes, most with mid drives. They had a decent test track set up, and were managing it well. I tested a bunch of different mid drives: Bosch, Shimano, Yamaha, and a couple proprietary. Every one of them did great, and better than the more or less twice as expensive, noisier, non-auto-pedal-assist Optibike I test drove last year (I have not tried the newer, smaller, less expensive Optibike). All of these were perfectly silent and smooth and had very effective pedal assist. I did prefer the torque sensing assist of the Bosch drive over the speed or cadence only sensing of some of the others.

There were some great bikes using these drives, including some very well made and well equipped bikes from Felt, Haibike, Stromer, Bulls, eMotion, BESV, Kalkhoff, and others, as well as a lot of lower end ebikes. The better bikes were predominately between $2500 and $4500, with a few over $6000. Unfortunately, I did not get to try any of the 28MPH Bosch or other faster systems, as all I tried were using the 20MPH cut off and all were 350W or 500W. I did get to talk to a few who have experienced the much faster Specialized bike and various 1000W, 28MPH Bosch equipped bikes, and learned a bit there. There were a few faster bikes at the show, but I didn't get a chance to drive any, nor was the test track set up for even 20 MPH riding.

Some random observations. Felt did the best job with well matched quality components and minimum weight bikes. Stromer bikes were HEAVY, but rode very well like they were much lighter bikes and seemed bullet proof. Bulls has some innovative twists with their own drive and also with Bosch drives; I believe they had the only mid-drive with shiftable front gears (2x10 or 2x11). The Haibikes were very nice looking and rode well. I sure did want to ride the amazing looking Kalkhoff (11 speed internal, belt drive, 28MPH, fully integrated display with GPS linked to your phone, tail+braking rear light, and more), but they did not have a small enough frame size for me to ride. There were also a number of very interesting cargo, fat tire, folding, off-road trike, and other setups.

My apologies to others at the show who I failed to give due mention. This is a well run and very well sponsored event. I recommend it to all.

Nice report Alan. Thanks! So... well attended? Any intelligent questions overheard?

I'll be bringing the camera with an empty card to fill up. :)

I am still planning to go on Sunday, if Yogi is alright (has somehow hurt his hip or knee, not sure which yet), as Tiny seems to be doing fine. Won't know till tomorrow if that will work out.

Theoretically, based on Wh tests done this past week with SB Cruiser, about 50Wh/mile or so for my work commute, it should take around 1100-1200Wh to get there, assuming I take only regular streets for about 21 mile route, and have a lot of stops and starts, with a cruising speed of just under 20MPH.

Neither pack has that much capacity, so I'll have to use them both. At an average voltage of 50V, 1200Wh is about 24Ah, so even if I only get 15Ah out of each pack I should have range to get there, though I will have to recharge completely to get back home.

I momentarily considered taking the light rail, but neither trike nor bike is small enough to fit on there unless I go end-to-end, as getting it on or off at any other point is impossible during the extremely short time they stay stopped, and I have to park it in the middle of the aisle as I can't get it into the "bike section" of the train.

EDIT: Yogi's still hurting, and it's 4am, so I am not gonna get enough sleep to make it, even if he feels enough better later on for me to leave him on his own--anybody that does go, get some pics (even bad ones!) posted up here. :)

I went today. It was pretty awesome. Didn't take many pictures but I spent like 5 hours riding different bikes around the track. Contemplating going back again tomorrow afternoon. There was a photographer on the track so I imagine pictures of the event will show up online at some point.

If you're on windows, there is a program called AT32resizer that's free, and will batch-resize your pictures. See the Adding Pictures thread at the top of any forum for other methods.

Videos you'd have to upload somewhere like Youtube and link here.

Who won the ebike giveaway, and the lighting kit giveaway?

ancientbicyclist said:
I attended the E-Bike Expo in Tempe, Arizona and would like to discuss the Expo with others who attended.
Privately in person? Otherwise, you could post up here for everyone to benefit from. ;)

snellemin said:
I signed up for the Houston event in March.

So did I , just hope I can get down there....and get off work.

Got a neice in Colorado, maybe that one would be good too.

"E-Bike Expo Report"
http://electricbikereport.com/phoenix-electric-bike-expo-lots-of-ebike-smiles-videos/
da28426d6f124c1399e9a69d8e6085ac.jpeg

"... 1,184 people attended the Expo and the test track was put to good use by total newbies to electric bikes (52%) along with many eBike enthusiasts who really knew the details of the bikes."

:)

Looks like I did get something from the event after all, even though I couldn't make it:

SPAM

:(

I guess they must've given out the addresses used to sign up with, cuz now I am getting spam from the companies there.

I'm sure the organizer of the event doesn't care, but it's a terrible business practice to steal addresses like that and give them out, without asking first.

If I wanted to be spammed, I'd've done that myself. :(

Yup, I made it there!

So what was it like, for those that couldn't make it?

Or is there a secret club we all have to subscribe to to get anyone to post anything here about it (other than the report by the organizer (who gives out your contact info without asking you, so companies can spam you))? :/

eBike expo, featuring pedal power assists, set for Feb. 26-28 at Liberty Station
by DAVE SCHWAB

San Diego consumers can test ride the latest electric bicycles for free at the 2016 Electric Bike Expo, coming to Liberty Station Friday through Sunday, Feb. 26 to 28.

Electric biking is a new form of transportation and recreation becoming popular nationwide, providing riders with power assist as they pedal. EBikes make hills easier and enable more people to ride farther and faster with little to no sweat.

San Diego is the second stop for the expo, which is on a six-city national tour.

This event allows San Diegans the opportunity to meet with manufacturer representatives and select local retailers from more than 20 of the top eBike producers and to test ride more than 100 models of power-assist bicycles.

Nicole Burgess, the city's bicycle representative for City Council District 2, said the expo is another great opportunity for residents to explore San Diego by bike.

“An electric assist will help with large hills, long distances and heavy loads as well as provide confidence and power to avoid dangerous road traffic,” Burgess said. “Come try one out and experience the joys of commuting by bike as a healthy lifestyle adventure.

“Spin those wheels at any age. The young love the outdoors, and the low-impact, healthy benefits are fabulous as we get older. The electric assist supports traveling by bike for all and will put a smile on your face.”

Burgess noted that becoming less dependent on motor vehicles is beneficial for all, no matter their age or lifestyle.

“Experience the endorphins (hormones that reduce pain and affect emotions) as you explore San Diego by bike,” she said. “It's a healthy addiction that will save you money as well as keeping you fit for life. Don't let fear dictate your life. Take the challenge, and go by bike. The rewards will amaze you. An electric assist will help you make this shift. Come give it a spin and enjoy life to the fullest.”

The specially designed electric bike expo course will fill more than 25,000 square feet of the parking lot near Liberty Station’s Ace Hardware. It will include terrain features to test the different bike suspensions, as well as a hill, that allows riders to feel the power of the electric-assist motor.

The expo will be presented by Bosch, one of Germany’s leading electrical-drive systems producers, with the track being sponsored by Trek Bicycles, a leading global cycling brand. This will be the first time many of the models on display have been seen in the U.S.

Local retailers such as Moment Bicycles, El Camino Bike Shop and SD Fly Rides will be present in their own spaces to offer information on their bikes and services.

Easy Motion will be giving away a 350W EVO Jet electric bike to one lucky person who test rides any of its bikes. Raleigh, IZIP, Yuba, Polaris, Focus, Kalkhoff and Gazelle will be offering discount coupons redeemable at local dealers.

Electric cargo bike maker Xtracycle will be giving a series classes on commuting by bike. Haibike will be presenting on electric mountain bikes and trail behavior.

Local favorite Slater’s 50/50 will be serving food within the expo exhibitor area.

Hours of the event are 3 to 8 p.m. Feb. 26, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Feb. 27 and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 28.

Those that take advantage of the early online free registration will be recognized as VIP guests and, once checked in, will be entered into a raffle to win some great cycling prizes.

For more information, visit electricbike-expo.com/locations/san-diego-california/

or see a video at youtu.be/NirMwZruj3s.

http://sdnews.com/view/full_story/2...b--26-28-at-Liberty-Station-?instance=update1

Just keep in mind that if you sign up for the event, you will be spammed by the vendors there, even though you aren't warned that they will be giving your information away (or selling it, it's not clear which), and you are not given the chance to opt out (which in various places is legally required).

616_1540183392979035_2262371279680095277_n.jpg

Got a write up in the The San Diego Union-Tribune, LLC, ("owner of the 145-year-old U-T San Diego, San Diego’s leading media company and its most comprehensive source of news, entertainment and information.")
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/feb/28/sd-me-electric-bikes/

(Nobuddy wet their pants. Ebikes now "high-tech". :)

Oh oh. More bed wetting... "the electric smile" :)

"The bicycles typically cost about $5,000." [Insert Ouchie Smilie here.]

"Many people (Ed: Some racers too!) want to pedal -- but with a little electrically-powered help."

Latest [C]omment there: "I attended all the three days, and each day was just efun.."

... and first two [C]omments quick to point out that conversion savings ca be MUCH less than $5K. :)

I went tot he san diego expo . it was a blast. I rode every full suspension bike there tons of haibike, Bulls, ezip easy motion currie the fat tire polaris . I did it because I want to see how the mid drives felt. I came away with this the bosch motor is very nice( comes on many of the the brands so riding any of th bikes with a bosch on it felt he same except for components but at only 350 watt too weak IMHO Yamaha is also nice but feels weaker than bosch. It confirmed my desire for a bafang 1000 watt . Still was very fun

Perfect timing by the Electric Bike Expo folks... this week in Houston the Texas Trails and Active Transportation (three day) Conference, and this article sub-titled
Here are three things sure to play a big role in talks not only at the conference but in many communities.

Electric bikes are coming
The buzz at the conference is about electric bikes, something that will intensify as an electric bike expo begins Friday at Rice University.

... and "“​When Houston discovers e-bikes it is going to change your lives here,” said Robin Stallings, executive director of BikeTexas." :)

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...ets-bike-crowd-moving-to-its-feet-6880252.php

Back