Manned electric "quadracopter" takes flight!

Nope. It is supposed to have a parachute, but it will always have that "dead zone" like that other IC jet pack from NZ, i.e., when you are high enough to die from the fall but not high enough for the parachute to save you.

Next up will be some sort of emergency levitation system so you can get up to parachute altitude in an emergency. Im guessing solid rocket boosters. All in all it wont see any sort of mass consumer use for manned flying, this could be a uav platform for who knows what im not exactly sure.

Solid rocket boosters woud be pretty cool, personally I would like to see a spring loaded pre-rotator gyrocopter head sprout out of the top inspector gadget style; the anchor lines for the emergency reserve would go down the middle of the mainshaft of the "parajaredonian emergency landing apparatus"

This is very impressive to me, well done! I don't expect it to have high performance, but in 2020, the solid-state-batteries should be available, and those should really help a weight-sensitive craft like this quite a bit.

That is super cool. I got close to buying a helicycle some years back but I didn't fit at. 6'4" and 230 lbs......time I found one I did fit in (Mosquito) the housing market went to shit and so did all my play money.

This I want!

Tom

It doesn't seem like a difficult DIY build, nor particularly expensive with respect to normal helicopter prices.

Real test pilots wear helmets for christ sakes! Brave man.....
I liked the no hands (and assume no feet) flight, you NEVER see that in other rotor craft. Looks way cool and on the way to being practical, once again it comes down to battery tech.

Based on the close up in the video the props are fixed pitch, so autorotation is impossible. Even if they were adjustable pitch, the strategy to manage the individual props and create stability would be intimidating to create (possible but challenging).

why should it be able to autorotate??? Even if 3 motors fail, it will still fly.

Even if they adjustable pitch, not enough inertia in those props to autorate anyways, methinks. They are likely banking on system redundancy for emergency landings - hopefully there are no jesus wires or computers like the jesus nut in helicopters of yore.

Its nice and obiously well developed, but why are its designers mimicking helicopter? I mean there's "fake rotor", which consists of many smaller rotors. It's even circular like usual helicopter.
It kinda reminds me first cars, that looked like horse carriages.
Same goes for quadrotor bike, that for some reason even had mudguard behind seat.
I like chinese automatic octacopter much more, it looks more like purpose designed and not trying to look familiar.
1-chinesedrone.jpg

Back