Bafang BBS01 350w vs Dillenger 250w front hub

Bust chain and chainring.

After riding on the bike that's only got 3 chainring bolts (one is MIA) for about 5 weeks it suddenly had had enough.

The chainring simply bent under load (a lot of load) and as a result the chain busted.

1.jpg
New chain (SRAM 10spd) bought locally was $39AUD and 48T 104BCD Shimano chainring $36AUD en route from Wiggle.

In the meantime I'll slum it without electricity ;0(

Turning into a Bafang whore here and hanging a BBSHD on one bike. Keeping one BBS01 running, retiring the other for parts and repairs. Tearing it down for a go over. It's a 3000+ miles. Should be interesting.

Hi Tom,
Does your BBS01 need a tear down? Is there a new noise or is performance dropping off? Is it just for inspection?
Looking forward to a road test of your BBSHD.

Photos
I've noticed lately (ok last 12 months) that photos sometimes (it's inconsistent) don't appear in a post and it's replaced by a clickable image icon.
It beats me why and a casual look in the forum doesn't explain it. I'll host images elsewhere and link them in and see if that helps.

byebyepetrol said:
Hi Tom,
Does your BBS01 need a tear down? Is there a new noise or is performance dropping off? Is it just for inspection?
Looking forward to a road test of your BBSHD.

BBSHD Eclipse due tommorw. Hope to have the studded tires on and do some ice riding around the ice fishing shacks on the local frozen lake sunday.

No need to tear down the BBS01. It's just me wanting to learn more and do a better job at support. It's hard to pass information and not have done the job. I actually took my BBSHD apart before my install just because I could and again, it affords me the ability to give more back here. Jeez, If I go back through my posts it's embarrassing. I asked so many really dumb questions. I did my first build while recovering from a stroke, heart attack, and kidney failure. It was a struggle. I'm recovering and now completely enamored by the BBS series. I will be a repair station at some point in 2016.

Sorry, MASSIVE over share, but ES has done so much for me. The patience and kindnesses shown me need to be paid back. So, I'm gonna learn and tear it down even though nothing is wrong. At least not until I get inside. :wink:

Brake upgrade from SRAM to Shimano SLX = no more brake rub.
The SLX calipers seem to have a little more tolerance/ clearance. Being new they also
don't squeal or shudder.

jSliPs3XVjiQrP0Co5KtQTf4v9xJGOeqIUYsdp3mYd8jgv_0y5uiG4YuMgUsYtqIqozt5omv6P_DRECwjBmILjb6AIjsOoR0gSvFPSR1BAy5kHRB4Gy3m8Ia3wvv0GAfuiAhqoOg05N8QWQFmXyYKUi3euVmuqZbjtBxBAObur4lH5Edmk7NpWu6aIyUgWd8zI-pf6MoAaKYimR77dM27XDdWs2xyqGjZJFIR1ryA6zwLBeYa3I_U8UqDtKcEXu0K90XhRLH1b2Nxo0HK54hBSUudt7Lg5J1qY0ViQgvg3vokyLKCd3pdHZ8-lI6VrbkUPwYKUiy5XOgShlIdoH292-H7sHwCJEBKVlwsj6DacxXwk21vSd5dHP3yEfoTv3zo44ytrXNF3OnGw8Qgty182cQzwEkFBLMYGO0oTWJkIVgA0gz6OzGnAXPjXcgGFEACoPcfZQNepjphTLgHYwpE-nU0oyuoSgxChT2pJTbptoeWv4qHszoLjBzJXoeHJk6QqHAvyoGm1VU4IVAC5VCwJyub8pPgAtZDdsg7qJJRgUkr9VAOHs8KVVaXepswpraBa0-=w1280-h855-no

Running a 10 speed cassette on an alloy freehub on an eBike can lead to premature wear.
5000km and three cassettes later (replacements due to tooth wear) wears the alloy away.
Apparently the hope steel freehub is just as bad. The new replacement is again, gold anodised alloy.

A remedy is to go with a cassette that spreads the load from a single cog across the whole array.
The slx cassette however doesn't do this, the lower 3 cogs each mount separately on the freehub and the entire
drivetrain load is concentrated on a structure that's 1mm wide. Poor engineering IMHO. You can mitigate it by tightening the
cassette up really tight but it'll still wear out prematurely.

New Hope freehub; $130AUD and 2 weeks freight.

3.jpg

Addendum: Can you guys see the images in my last two posts?

BBP, seem to be getting good wear from my 8 speed gears and Altus derailleur ($20 each at Amazon) and $8 Chain.

I wasn't particular, just put shimano 8 speed into my browser for Amazon; see one (US) for $16 --- HG 31, but think mine was HG 40. Just a steel cassette. I'd show the lack of wear, but ES won't take my photos and I'm not going to bother trying to reduce them.

I'm trying something different for an experiment since I use very few gears with my BBS02 and trying for a "perfect" chain line. Spaced my cassette out to a three
speed with eight speed spacing 11,17,28 and it seems to work perfectly (shifting at least). Also changed to 30 chainring; cuts speed to 24 mph or so, but want to see
how it ascends gnarly crags off road.

Many thanks. I concur with a reduction in cogs. I reckon three sounds about right.

FYI Despite installing a new freehub, with new pawls and spring my drivetrain still slipped a cog under max torque.
I've replaced the 11t with a newer one and hope that's it.

The new Hope freehub might be shiny and new but there's considerable play between it and the cassette.
I tried both XT and SLX cassettes and they're the same. About 2-3mm play measured at the 38t.
It's like it's the wrong model but that's not it. It disappears once you torque-up the cassette.

By the way, the Altus derailleur seems like a steal for $20; big pulleys shift really well and it's bombproof. I have one that I'm using with a Deore rapid fire
and one with a friction (real old time) shifter.

6385 km in and all is well.
The cassette is behaving, no slippage. All I did was replace the 11T with an XT cog on eBay; three for $26AUD delivered.

Such is the reliability of electric drivetrains there's not a lot to report on ;0)

No hiccups, or dips in battery performance.

if I had to be critical I've got several punctures from a particular brand of innertube from Anaconda (retail chain here in OZ).

It's the BikeTubez brand in the white box. I'm going to try a pack of 10 Venzo tubes en-route from eBay
that should keep me going.

All this money I'm saving is going towards a Tesla Model 3.

7121km and all is well.

• No noises, no vibration, no transmission slippage.
    Brakes are great.
    Battery life is great despite this being winter.
    No punctures, get to work on time, not knackered or sweaty.
    Haven't had a cold for a year and a half.
    Money saved from cycle commuting are unreal.
    Impact on the environment is negligible.
Any down sides? Nope.

Bafang 4 the win.

eBike continues without fault.

Over 7712 km total distance. Rain or shine.

I'm planning a trip around Gippsland Victoria Australia over Christmas with it.
Carrying a spare 17.4AHr pack.

Towing a bike trailer.

I bought a $200 trailer off eBay and it doesn't fit.
The gear cable clashes with the coupling and that's after I removed surplus material to
make it fit. So I can't return it.

See photos. The seller of course doesn't warn you about this. I can likely sell it on.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 4,512
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 6,276
Looks like that's because the new fangled Shadow derailleurs sit much more inboard under the dropout than old school ones which would likely clear the coupling. Maybe suggest the seller puts some info about not being compatible with Shadow derailleurs.

Yeah, you're right; my MTB with XT has the same problem.

My carbon roadie with Ultegra doesn't fit either; it'll need more material removed from the trailer coupling
to get it to fit.

Meanwhile I'm making my own bike trailer from Bunnings sourced alum extrusion and couplings, a bit of 3d printing
and some carbon tows.

Nice, 3d printing is so cool. I'm in a Retro MTB group on facebook and a fellow there has printed some shifter covers that can't be bought anymore, he did the scans at officeworks and used a cheap printer, they turned out great.

It's taken 8563km for something to go wrong.

My battery won't accept charge. The charger is working. The battery has 50-70% charge.

I thought it might be the sloppy plug connector on the battery so replaced that
and traced the 40v lines to the bms and everything seems ok so I reckon the BMS is
the problem.

I expect I can get a replacement bms but it's going to be 2-3 weeks and in the meantime I'll be
pushing the pedals.

Has anyone replaced their bms out of a Dolphin-style bottle battery and if so, anything to watch out for?

a9tRdnYuNFD6cMgt9

I didn't think it would take more than a month to get a replacement battery management PCB but it's still not here.

BMS Battery; shame. I've used their online contact form and that helped; they hadn't processed my order so "sent" it next day.
That was three weeks ago.

Chinese New Year holiday didn't help.

I'm thankful that Autumn here in L'ton, Tasmania hasn't produced any morning headwinds so I'm using my carbon29er
to get me to work and back.

The novelty of pushing pedals has worn off, I get to work hot & sweaty and knackered.

I can report however that a mate if mine has done a fantastic job of converting an old aluminium Trek to a 250w Bafang mid-drive.
I saw him today bombing along into a headwind in rush-hour traffic with a huge distance between him and the following traffic.

Chris.

Warning | Minor Rant
Still no replacement BMS; the shipping info on the BMS Battery website says shipped and gave a tracking number.

Which conflicts with their helpdesk two days ago as I was enquiring about the status of the item.
I was asked if I wanted it shipped DHL for an extra $30US.

They actually asked me this a month ago and I replied in the affirmative but only if it didn't cost any more.
They confirmed and I sat back expecting the usual 11-14days delivery period.

Fast-forward 4 weeks and no BMS so I'll get it looked at locally by a fix-it shop.
Failing that I can get a new 18AHr Sanyo cells bottle battery for $365USD.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/US-EU-No-Tax-Hailong-tube-Ebike-Battery-36V-18Ah-Lithium-ion-Sanyo-3500mah-power-cell/1473151_32799895418.html

It's likely an internal communication problem. I've requested a PaylPal refund. That might catalyse activity.

Got the refund from BMS Battery which is bitter-sweet.
If I'd known it would have taken 7 weeks to get to this point I would
have given BMS Battery a wide berth and fixed it some other way.

Still, the local fix-it guy has the battery and charger and fingers/ crossed can diagnose and replace
whatever it is in the BMS that prevents charging.

Failing that I'll try Dillenger Aus; they're pretty good.

Chris.

Back