Hit an animal last night!

Dauntless said:
(ACK!)

For me, pain is weakness ENTERING the body! I can drive around the neighborhood, but when will I be able to go anywhere again?

Dang, that can't have been just a cat. I've heard Ninja's can turn into animals. Perhaps they've joined the Obama cabal trying to destroy America. . . .
Praying that you feel better. Maybe it was a raccoon or a coyote. :shock:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-at-victor-habor/story-e6frg6n6-1227589838485

A MALE cyclist has been flown to hospital after colliding with a kangaroo at Victor Harbor.
Police said the accident happened on Waggon Rd at 9.45am.
The cyclist, a 53-year-old man, was seriously injured and has been flown to Flinders Medical Centre.
Waggon Rd has been closed between Day and Valley View roads.
People are asked to avoid the area.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3537165/Cyclist-hospitalised-kangaroo-ploughed-him.html :shock:
A cyclist has been hospitalised after he was thrown from his bike when a kangaroo launched onto the road and died on impact.
Dominic Shepherd had been cycling in a group with his teenage son on Saturday morning at Wagga Wagga near his Junee home in the NSW Riverina region, about five-hours south-west of Sydney.
Footage captured from a camera, believed to be mounted on a bike, shows the moment a massive roo jumped into his path to its death and injured Mr Shepherd, Nine News reports.
The group of 20 had been cycling at speeds above 40km/h when Mr Shepherd said the kangaroo 'ploughed into me'.
The cyclist escaped without breaking any bones, but was left with four sets of stitches and extensive bruising.
"…And my thumbs where I landed on the grips – I can't move my thumbs," Mr Shepherd told WIN News
Thankfully, one of the cyclists was a doctor, who administered aid to the Junee man until an ambulance arrived and drove Mr Shepherd to hospital.
He said it was remarkable no one else had been harmed in the crash.
But he hasn't let his injuries deter him from getting back on the bike.
'It's just one of those things. It's pretty rare but it does happen, it's part of the game,' Mr Shepherd said.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-n...by-rattlesnake-above-altadena-recovering-well :shock: Hit by an animal, with fangs.

ALTADENA >> A mountain biker bitten by a rattlesnake in the forest north of Altadena was recovering well Saturday, his sister said.
Avid cyclist Brad Adams, 25, of Los Angeles was out for his usual Friday morning ride shortly before noon, heading up Brown Mountain Trail in the Angeles National Forest just north of Altadena, when he encountered the rattlesnake, according to his sister, Candace Adams.
“He briefly stopped at a crest to wait for his friend when a rattlesnake bit him above his right ankle without warning,” she said in an email. “He did not feel the bite until the snake had finished its assault.”
Brad Adams realized he had been bitten, but had no cell phone reception, his sister said.
“(He) immediately hopped on his bicycle and began the 5-mile descent to the trailhead,” she said. “Within the 15 minutes, he said he could feel the effects of the venom course through his foot and the rest of his body,” Candace Adams said. “It was moments after that Brad reached the base that the other cyclists had caught up. One of the cyclists managed to call 911.”
Los Angeles County sheriff’s and fire department officials treated the injured bicyclist and rushed him to a hospital by helicopter, sheriff’s Lt. Douglas Mohrhoff said.
His recovery was progressing well Saturday in an intensive-care unit, Candace Adams said. He responded well to antivenom, and no surgery was expected to be needed.
Though he was warned that he will experience swelling for about a week and should avoid strenuous activity, she said, “He should be going home (Sunday).”

http://mashable.com/2016/06/07/elephant-charges-cyclist/#Pm11da6Xiqqz :shock: Don't want to hit one of those!
Do not mess with this elephant's family.
An adult elephant was recently spotted clearing a road so that its family could safely cross the street.
Unfortunately, the elephant either surprised an unsuspecting cyclist or the man was impatient and decided to test his luck, so the elephant decided to show the man who's boss.
After, the elephant can be seen returning to the woods, where its family was waiting to cross.

The fingers said:
http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-n...by-rattlesnake-above-altadena-recovering-well :shock: Hit by an animal, with fangs.

ALTADENA >> A mountain biker bitten by a rattlesnake in the forest north of Altadena was recovering well Saturday, his sister said.
Avid cyclist Brad Adams, 25, of Los Angeles was out for his usual Friday morning ride shortly before noon, heading up Brown Mountain Trail in the Angeles National Forest just north of Altadena, when he encountered the rattlesnake, according to his sister, Candace Adams.
“He briefly stopped at a crest to wait for his friend when a rattlesnake bit him above his right ankle without warning,” she said in an email. “He did not feel the bite until the snake had finished its assault.”
Brad Adams realized he had been bitten, but had no cell phone reception, his sister said.
“(He) immediately hopped on his bicycle and began the 5-mile descent to the trailhead,” she said. “Within the 15 minutes, he said he could feel the effects of the venom course through his foot and the rest of his body,” Candace Adams said. “It was moments after that Brad reached the base that the other cyclists had caught up. One of the cyclists managed to call 911.”
Los Angeles County sheriff’s and fire department officials treated the injured bicyclist and rushed him to a hospital by helicopter, sheriff’s Lt. Douglas Mohrhoff said.
His recovery was progressing well Saturday in an intensive-care unit, Candace Adams said. He responded well to antivenom, and no surgery was expected to be needed.
Though he was warned that he will experience swelling for about a week and should avoid strenuous activity, she said, “He should be going home (Sunday).”

I hope he was covered, otherwise that would cost him $50,000 easily.

I've hit a few things in my first 2000 miles of ebiking. Most notably was a another human. We have a bike path along the lakefront here in Chicago. Gets pretty hectic in the summer. I was doing my usual commute home. Slowing from 30 to 20mph as I approached three people who were walking in the same direction I yelled out "on your left". At the moment of passing the biggest of the three without looking or giving any indication just stepped right into me. Direct hit. I was knocked out and came to on the pavement. He was bleeding from his legs and looking stunned. His sandals were maybe 10 feet behind us. Thankfully witnesses and other cyclist crowded around and came to my defense. Long story short I was mostly alright. I beat the bike back to a state that I could drag it home. Chalked it up to experience and never relying on things like "on your left"

Oh and yes I do slow down even more while passing people now

Current said:
I've hit a few things in my first 2000 miles of ebiking. Most notably was a another human. We have a bike path along the lakefront here in Chicago. Gets pretty hectic in the summer. I was doing my usual commute home. Slowing from 30 to 20mph as I approached three people who were walking in the same direction I yelled out "on your left". At the moment of passing the biggest of the three without looking or giving any indication just stepped right into me. Direct hit. I was knocked out and came to on the pavement. He was bleeding from his legs and looking stunned. His sandals were maybe 10 feet behind us. Thankfully witnesses and other cyclist crowded around and came to my defense. Long story short I was mostly alright. I beat the bike back to a state that I could drag it home. Chalked it up to experience and never relying on things like "on your left"

Oh and yes I do slow down even more while passing people now

Reading your story makes me want to post this I grabbed today -

[youtube]vdU1NcU2GfY[/youtube]

Just gotta assume the worst and be ready to react.

http://www.ydr.com/story/news/crime...hases-bicyclist-manchester-cops-say/86981658/ :twisted: Wild mad frenzied little Whistlepig.
A rider used his bicycle to defend himself as he was chased by a rabid groundhog earlier this month in Manchester, according to Northeastern Regional Police's Facebook page.
The male rider was on his bicycle at the Spring Forge Intermediate School, 100 S. Hartman St., when he was accosted by the frenzied whistlepig. He was able to defend himself by striking the animal with his bike.
An animal control officer responded and captured the groundhog, police said.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, rabies is 100 percent preventable in humans, if prompt medical care is given. "Yet, more than 55,000 people, mostly in Africa and Asia, die from rabies every year -- a rate of one person every ten minutes."
The worst threat comes from uncontrolled rabies in dogs. Children are more likely to be bitten by dogs, and "are also more likely to be severely exposed through multiple bites in high-risk sites on the body."
The CDC urges people to report any ill or stray animals to local animal control authorities.

And:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/4072930-baby-alligator-found-bike-path-near-brainerd :shock: At the extreme northern edge of it's range?
BRAINERD, Minn. -- It’s not everyday the Crow Wing County Sheriff’s Office gets a call about a citizen finding an alligator.
Yes, an alligator. Not a big one, but a baby alligator.
“We’re all quite shocked,” Crow Wing County Sheriff Todd Dahl said of finding a baby alligator. “It’s quite interesting, that’s for sure. You don’t get these calls every day. … In my 30 years in law enforcement this is my first time getting this type of call.”
The sheriff’s office received a report at 12:28 p.m. Saturday of an alligator on the bike path near Brandon Way in Barrows, a small town about five miles southwest of Brainerd.. Dahl said someone was riding their bike when they saw the alligator walking on the path.
The sheriff’s office attempted to find out who owned the alligator as deputies thought it could have been someone’s pet, but they were not successful. Dahl said they called Safari North Wildlife Park, but it wasn’t theirs. However, the alligator’s new home is the wildlife park, located south off Highway 371.

Also:

Watch out also for this little gal.
http://www.wesh.com/video/the-weather-channel/raccoon-and-her-little-red-bike/40457530 :lol:

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/another-bear-attack-sends-cyclist-to-hospital-1.2995680 :shock: Another Grizzly strikes back.
A woman is in stable condition after being attacked by a bear near Canmore on Wednesday evening.
Canmore EMS was called to the Lowline Trail in Canmore at 7:30 Wednesday evening to assist a woman in her 20’s who had been attacked by a bear.
The woman and a friend were cycling in the area when they came across what they believed to be a grizzly bear. As the pair tried to ride away, the bear struck the victim, who sustained an injury to her upper torso resulting in an internal injury.
Her friend was able to deploy bear spray and the bear ran away. The cyclists rode for a distance to where they could call for help.
The victim is in Canmore General Hospital in stable, non life-threatening condition. STARS Air Ambulance was initially put on standby but was eventually cancelled by EMS.
“She was talking to us and communicating with us en route to hospital, it’s obviously a good sign, so, serious injury but something they were able to continue to ride once that initial incident or contact occurred,” said Adam Loria, EMS
This is the second bear attack this week, with a woman being attacked west of Calgary on Tuesday,

http://www.dunstabletoday.co.uk/news/local-news/cyclist-injured-in-collision-with-pig-1-7493245 :shock: How is the pig doing?

14:30 Monday 25 July 2016
A cyclist was taken to hospital after colliding with a pig.
The East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust (EEAST) received a call at 8.51am yesterday (July 24) to London Road, Houghton Conquest, to a report that a cyclist had been injured after colliding with a pig in the road.
A rapid response vehicle and ambulance crew were dispatched to the scene.
They treated a man in his 40s who had suffered a facial injury.
He was taken to Bedford Hospital South Wing for further treatment.
His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening or serious.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...turkey-taken-to-hospital-20160728-gqfncs.html :(

Cyclist hits bush turkey, taken to hospital
Amy Mitchell-Whittington

A cyclist has been rushed to hospital after his race bike collided with a bush turkey in the Gold Coast Hinterland early Thursday morning.
A man, 45, was riding downhill along Tomewin Mountain Road at Currumbin Valley when he hit the bird about 6.20am.
The man was thrown from his bike a considerable distance, police said.
He was transported with life-threatening injuries to Gold Coast University Hospital.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/08/15/Street-crossing-snake-blocks-cyclist-in-Kansas/5251471291970/ :shock:
Street-crossing snake blocks cyclist in Kansas
COFFEYVILLE, Ala., Aug. 15 (UPI) -- A cyclist in Kansas came to a stop on a rural Kansas road when he approached a large snake slithering across the pavement.
The video shows the cyclist's perspective as he comes to a stop on a rural road in Coffeyville.
The cause of the cyclist's alarm is revealed as a large snake slithering across his path.
The cyclist holds carefully still, not attempting to continue until the snake has made it safely to the other side of the road.

And:
http://rekordeast.co.za/104190/pta-man-fights-off-tiger-with-bicycle/ :shock:
Pta man fights off tiger with bicycle
“I had to fight with a very strong tiger for an hour-and-a-half.”
24 hours ago
A man used his bicycle to fight off a tiger that roamed the streets in the east of Pretoria last week.
“I had to fight with a very strong tiger for an hour-and-a-half,” Sam Songwani told Rekord on Monday.
The 51-year-old man left his house for work in the early hours of Friday.
Angry tigers running free was the last thing on his mind.
Songwani said he was riding on his bicycle around 06:00 when he saw the tiger lying under a tree.
With the blink of an eye the tiger was up and coming for him outside The Meadows estate in Silverlakes.
“The animal was so fast and I had to react immediately.”
Songwani said he picked up a few stones to scare off the tiger, but this animal was not easily scared.
“I used up all my stones and just had my bicycle with me and used it to fight the tiger off,” he recalled.
“It was the most dangerous and terrifying day of my life. It felt like the tiger would not stop until it would succeed with its plan to tear all my limbs from my body.”
A 36-year old business woman from Pretoria, Charnelle Grobler, witnessed the rare clash.
She said she saw how he tried to fight the fierce tiger off with his bicycle for about 30 minutes.
Grobler said she was sitting in her car as she watched Songwani fighting for his life.“I grabbed my phone and called the nearby Farm Inn to notify them about the tiger’s attack.”
Grobler said Songwani later sought refuge behind her car while the tiger was standing in front of the vehicle.
“I was extremely nervous and excited at the same time to be seeing such a big animal just metres away from me.”

It later emerged that the tiger had escaped from The Farm Inn.
Workers from the inn responding to Grobler’s earlier alert soon arrived.
The tiger was darted and taken back to his enclosure.
The owner of The Farm Inn, Pedro Michaletos said the matter was being investigated.
“We are still trying to figure out how the tiger got out because there is no hole or anything wrong with the fencing.”
He said he was overhauling his electric system to make sure that something like this did not happen again.
“I did not realise that my tiger was outside. I only became aware of this when photos of my wandering cat was put on
Facebook.”

The tiger was not the only wild animal that made headlines in Pretoria last week.
The day after his capture, two young lions escaped from Dinokeng nature reserve in Hammanskraal.
Reserve manager Piet Venter said the two animals, believed to be about 18 months old, slipped into the fenced Walmansthal military area.
“Luckily there was no cost to a human life. The lions killed two cattle, but they just ate bits and pieces of it.”
Venter said the carcasses of the cattle helped to locate the lions.
“We moved the carcasses further away from where we found it and then built a hide there,” he said.
“Around 20:00 Saturday evening, the lions returned to the carcasses to eat. We were then able to dart them.”
Satellite trackers were now being put up to monitor the movements of the lions.
“It is possible that the two young lions could have been chased away by the male leader of the pride, as this happens when younger lions in the pride approach adulthood.”
Venter said the reserve was well-fenced.
“We will do our best to avoid such episodes from re-occurring.”

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/08...ncounter-with-family-of-skunks/8311471465589/OOO SOOO CUTE! Hate to run one over though. :pancake:
PARIS, Aug. 17 (UPI) -- A French cyclist who encountered a family of curious skunks in the road managed to avoid the stink by holding still.
A video posted to YouTube by Francois Arsenault shows the cyclist stopped in the middle of a rural road while the mother skunk and four babies -- called kits -- walk hurriedly in his direction.
The cyclist continues to film as the skunks approach his bike and sniff at his tires, letting out adorable high-pitched grunts along the way.
Arsenault's patience pays off as the skunk family ambles away without releasing any foul odors in their wake.
The cyclist said his skunk encounter was "rather special."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37213884 :shock:
Triathlons are tough at the best of times, but one competitor in the Dublin city event got more than he bargained for when he and a deer collided.
Photographer Erik Scraggs snapped the moment Shane O'Reilly was struck by the animal as he cycled in Phoenix Park.
Mr O'Reilly from Blackrock in County Dublin told Irish broadcaster RTÉ that he was left with a cracked helmet following the incident on Sunday, but managed to carry on.
The park is home to around 500 deer.
"The helmet definitely saved me," Mr O'Reilly added.
"Apart from that, my shoulder was a bit sore and I had a headache."
The competitor completed the race in two hours 25 mins.
Mr Scraggs told the BBC he never thought deer would "try and leap over the cyclists".
"I had a feeling they might make their way across the cyclists' path, so I tracked them though my lens," he said.
"I never envisaged that they would actually try and leap over the cyclists. It all happened so fast, It was a really heavy crash.
"It was a relief to see the competitor get back to his feet and continue."
It is understood the deer has also recovered.

http://road.cc/content/news/203432-cyclist-attacking-magpies-remember-their-victims :shock: Heckle and Jeckle strike again.
Cyclist-attacking magpies remember their victims
by Alex Bowden  September 3 2016
Expert predicts bumper season of attacks Down Under
“If they think you’re a threat, they will follow you and attack you for years," says behavioural ecologist Darryl Jones. He predicts that there are going to be more magpie attacks in Queensland this year following an unusually mild winter.
About nine percent of Australian magpies become aggressive during nesting season. A national survey found that in nearly half of attacks, the person on the receiving end is a cyclist. They tend to approach from behind. We published a video of one attack in 2014.
Jones told the Courier Mail(link is external) that because of the weather, magpies started nesting in July this year – “which is just crazy.” He said this was around six to eight weeks earlier than normal.
“They’ll have one whole lot of chicks before they have their normal lot of chicks. It’s going to be a long season, I’m pretty sure. Magpies only attack when there are chicks in the nest, so if there are going to be more chicks, there are going to be more attacks.”
He also said: “If you’ve been attacked in the past, you’ll probably get attacked in the future.”
ABC(link is external) reports that Australian cyclists can make use of the Magpie Alert(link is external) website to track aggressive magpies in their area.
"If you want to go for a walk or cycle, check the website first to see if they are swooping in the area and then just change your route," said creator Jon Clark.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/09/20/oc-cyclist-has-close-encounter-with-mountain-lion/ :shock:
LAKE FOREST (CBSLA.com) — Only 10 feet separated a mountain lion and a mountain biker who came face to face on a trail about 6 p.m. Monday in Orange County.
High school teacher Eric Motch tells CBS2’s Michele Gile he was terrified as the cougar jumped from a branch in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park.
“I tried screaming and the first two times and nothing came out,” Motch said “My heart was racing; it was just looking at me.”
Rangers told Motch his was one of three mountain lion sightings in the same park Monday night. Additional warning signs have been posted.
The story sounds just like the one experienced by Brian Wolf, who was on the trail Tuesday. He showed a cellphone picture and video of a cat lounging in a tree about six weeks ago and walking through the brush.
“I was riding fast down the hill and came up and looked off to the side and saw something glowing,” Wolf said. “I slowed down and looked and I could see the head of a mountain lion looking around the head of the tree.”
Motch says the mountain lion he encountered weighed about 100 pounds and stood 2 feet tall.
Twelve years ago, rider Mark Reynolds was killed by a mountain lion on the same trail.

http://grapevine.is/news/2016/10/12/cyclist-who-hit-rabbit-should-have-been-careful/ :pancake:
A cyclist who was hospitalised after he struck a rabbit, prompting him to call upon the City of Reykjavík to “stand up and do something” about the town’s rabbits, should have just been watching where he was going, says the chairperson of the Animal Protection Association of Iceland.

As reported, Hlöðver Bernharður Jökulsson collapsed a lung, broke a few ribs and badly injured his shoulder when, by his account, he collided with a rabbit in the Elliðaárdal area of Reykjavík last Friday. He has since called upon city authorities to take action regarding the rabbits, which are not native to Iceland but are the descendants of pet rabbits released into the wild some years ago.

Hallgerður Hauksdóttir, the chairperson of the Animal Protection Association of Iceland, told Vísir that the cyclist alone bears responsibility for this accident, and should just have been more careful.

“Living things always have the right of way,” Hallgerður said. “Cars, bikes and other vehicles are considered a part of the person controlling them – the driver needs to be careful. I will never buy it that a rabbit was in his way. The cyclist needs to watch out, especially when it is known that such animals are in the area. Just like on the national highway, we need to watch out for sheep in the road. It’s the same thing.”

Iceland’s current rabbit population descends, for the most part, from pet rabbits which were released in the Elliðaárdal area of Reykjavík in 2010. In 2011, rabbits bounded onto a Reykjavík highway, causing a three-car pile up. By 2012, rabbits were plaguing farms in south Iceland, as they burrowed into hay bales intended for animal feed, leaving waste inside them. In 2013, Reykjavík made the decision to look into what options were available to deal with the rabbit issue.

For now, feral rabbits continue to dominate Elliðaárdal, surviving due to milder winters and thriving without impedance the rest of the year. Those biking in the area are advised to watch their speed and keep their eyes peeled.

My wife and I always jog at 5 am, we then moved to florida into a community that was about 1/4 built so there were lots of land that was bulldozed and under construction. This one morning it was very dark and as we jogged we both tripped over an alligator, Thankfully it was a small one. It hissed at us and we both nearly crapped our pants or on second thought maybe we did, after that we both carried a large flashlights. Nick R.

Back