Eaton APR48-3G 1.8kW Light Compact Charger PSU

Cheers mate, have buyed 5 Li-Po Packs from Hobbyking with 16000mAh and 14.8 Volts each Pack. Want to put them in seriall, which gives me about 1.184kWh. Do your charger also charge LiPos and is it good for the pack?

If so, will pay for it soon. :)

-Elias

As long as you use adaptto to charge your lipos all will be good. Adaptto controlls everything, Eaton is just a dumb device that gives you the power for charge.

Guys,
I have successfully flashed my Eaton unit using software mod. I will wrap up a guide in the second post!

Mine did just finally arrived. Good packed, good quality. 100% recommend. :)

-Cheers

Have you already tried to ask for refund? :?:

You better ask for insurance. I don't think that you will receive it again.. Or ask you post office.. :roll:

I finally wired my APR48-3G and all seems fine except a yellow flashing light. This is constantly on even if I am not charging. I am running this unit with 110volts.

From what I can determine the light is considered a "low level warning"

The unit works and charges.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks

[youtube]g5Iump0FHrE[/youtube]

What I have been told is when the orange led flash - CV and when constantly on - CC
And also when the LED flash, this means that PSU does not sense a control board.

Allex does it matter if I plug the psu first in, and then the charging cable into the bike, or does this harm the contacts somehow? Or is this unimportant, which comes first? 

DasDouble said:
Allex does it matter if I plug the psu first in, and then the charging cable into the bike, or does this harm the contacts somehow? Or is this unimportant, which comes first? 

Charging the battery via controller by using charging coil
In order to avoid problems which could be caused by inappropriate usage of device while charging, it’s necessary to follow the algorithm.
 Connect the charging coil to power supply (PSU). Do NOT switch on the PSU
 Connect the charging coil to the controller in accordance with the wiring scheme
 Enter charge settings in accordance with the manual sections 1.1.3 and 3.3.6.
 Switch the PSU on
 Once the charging is finished – switch off the PSU
 Disconnect the charging coil from the PSU
 Disconnect the charging coil and controller
 Leave the charging mode (press LEFT-DOWN

brumbrum said:
DasDouble said:

Charging the battery via controller by using charging coil
In order to avoid problems which could be caused by inappropriate usage of device while charging, it’s necessary to follow the algorithm.
 Connect the charging coil to power supply (PSU). Do NOT switch on the PSU
 Connect the charging coil to the controller in accordance with the wiring scheme
 Enter charge settings in accordance with the manual sections 1.1.3 and 3.3.6.
 Switch the PSU on
 Once the charging is finished – switch off the PSU
 Disconnect the charging coil from the PSU
 Disconnect the charging coil and controller
 Leave the charging mode (press LEFT-DOWN

When switching on /off the PSU, does it matter if just plug / unplug from wall or better to have a on/off switch ? I assume is same but just wanted to double check

It shouldnt make any difference. I have some sockets in my home with switches and some without. As long as you enter the charge screen first and only then plug in the psu then all should be fine. Also, try not to move the motor/wheel while charging ;)

FInally wired my Eaton power supply. This is a very nice power supply. It is so simple to connect the wires, the unit is so small and lightweight, and also very quiet.
Much smaller and quieter than my huge HP ESP120 power supply which only does 220 volts.

This Eaton APR48-3G does 110 and 220 volts.

Some charging tests have shown that it is bad to charge 18650s at high charge rates, so there is no need for a powerful power supply. I charge my huge 18650 pack at around 500 watts, which is only about .5 amps per cell (max charge rate is 1.65 amps) in my 280 cell pack. This unit can go as high as 1100 watts at 110 volts, and 1800 at 220 volts.

Here is the wiring for USA colors, just cut any computer cord and you will have white, black, and green. Takes just seconds to solder all the wires. This was a temporary install so you should use heat shrink on the wires and also zip tie the AC wire to the back of the case to stress relieve the wire so you don't pull the wires out of their solder points and have a live AC wires.

Hello guys,

Does anybody have the original flash-EEPROM files for the Eaton charger?
My Eaton failed during the reprogramming process and now I have to reflash it again.

Thank you very much for your post!
Now my Eaton charger works like a rolex watch!
I don't know why but with this firmware it's much more quieter and also when I plug the USB cable the LED lights go on (before not). It seems that it was running an old firmware version.

Thanks again!

Anyone know how to wire it up for 240V in US/Canada? Do we just wire the other live to where the neutral would normally be, like in a regular 3 wire 240V system, which is live/live/ground? Or do we use the 4th pad on the back? Anyone know?

Hello,
Yes you must use the three wires as we do in Europe.
Phase, neutral, Earth. I think there are detailed pictures at the first page of this threat.
You use only three contacs.

In french with old system voltage (110V). This system is missing for 40 years... 8)

Neutral <-> Phase = 110V

Phase 1 <-> other phase = 220V

now:

Neutral <-> Phase = 230V

Phase 1 <-> other phase = 400V

If you have two phases so just connect the two phases of the normal inputs of the power supply.

Hi Allex

I see the voltage range is 43 to 59V, do you know what the current range is when programming the Eaton.
I have 2 packs which I can parallel for long trips, but was wondering what the lower current limit could be to charge the individual pack
Is there a mod to limit current without programming?

Thanks

Is there any way to increase the voltage above 68V?
I was able to do that by reprogramming it and cutting trace on the bottom, but it tops at 68.8V like something else is limitting it.
As this PS is able to work with 110V AC and provide up to 58V I assume that with 220V AC it's transformer can can easily provide 84V for 20S or even 87V for 21S or 24S LFP
Does anyone have an idea?

Allex said:
Hi, the easiest way is to program it. You can set whatever current you like 5-10A i possible.

Allex, is it possible to put 3 of these in series, and set a current limit, to act as a fast powerful charger for my car?

For example, I would want to charge to 178 volts with a current of 15 amps.

Back