Project Blue Smoke - Aprilia RS conversion

I'll go with 520 chain, so I can keep the original rear sprocket (might change the teeth count). The shaft of the revolt motor is machined so that I can use JTF337 sprocets. This gives me option from 12 to 15 theeth front sprocket.

[youtube]MeXkpcWoh9U[/youtube]

I recorded this footage before we got snow in Finland. I had just received the motor and wanted to see how it would fit on the RS frame. Next step is to build the mount for it, then I can have my first test runs! It'll have to wait until spring/summer, since I don't have any warm place to work on the bike.

I've been also working on an eBike as a side project (1kW front hub motor). There are some things that I can utilize also on the Aprilia. Plans are getting clearer regarding the charger, dash and BMS. One thing to decide is that should I buy a smaller, cheaper battery first to test the Aprilia and then later use on the eBike, or buy the big heavy battery pack right away.

[youtube]gl9PGKE9KlY[/youtube]

I got the motor mounted. Then I mounted the controller with zip ties and connected a small LiPo pack. Controller configured with lowest current settings for this first test. Next I'll have to start working on the mounts for the controller and battery, also finish the motor mount.

Nice Ride !!

Greetings
Martin

That's the normal version. I tuned in a bit more power, did few "fast" laps and one lap with rear brake applied. Couldn't feel any heat on the motor. Let's see how it handles more power later, feels good so far.

I've been thinking about the BMS. I want a system that enables me to read voltage of each sell to an Arduino and I can then play around with the data. Then I need some sort of balancing (thinking about bottom balancing) and overcharge control. My battery back is 24s Lipo, but I might replace it with larger LiFePo4 pack in the future.

Any suggestions what BMS to use?

I wish I'd have more to show you.. Mainly I've been building the battery box that still isn't finished. More about that later..

I purchased a "new" frame, since they would have required full EMC measurements of that 2003 frame. So I'll transfer everything to 2001 frame. I'll keep the original speedometer, so that I don't have to prove the accuracy of my hall-sensor based speedometer. I'll add some kind of display for amps and other parameters. Now I'm thinking to have a separate battery for the lights, contactor, horn, controller and electronics, so no DC-DC. It would be awesome to get the bike to dyno still this year, but we'll see..

hey nice project

i will start my aprillia rs50 conversion soon.
i was wondering where you live, because of the EMC required. in The Netherlands the data limit is on 1-1-2006 if i am correct.

Thanks. I leave in Finland. Here the limit is June 2003 and my first frame was first registered in July 2003... Will be an "interesting" challenge to register the bike. Hopefully I can do it next year.
I tried to edit a short video, but Kdenlive that I use for editing keeps crashing..

I was working on the brakes yesterday in a hope that if I'm able to do more test runs still in September or October (before snow), I would have working brakes. The seller of the frame told me that he wasn't able to bleed the front brake. I replaced the fluids and didn't have problems bleeding it. Then I started working on the rear brake and got problems. First I accidentally left the reservoir empty, then the master cylinder started to leak. Now I'm thinking if I should order the rear brake master cylinder rebuild kit, or just open and clean it and try to bleed again..

The battery box is pretty much riveted together. Next I need to solder the connectors to the batteries and make the battery-contactor-controller wires. Then temporary mount for the controller, 24V battery and wiring. Then it would be ready for a short track test or dyno run to get the papers for registration. If either of these happen, I'll post a video ;)

I have issues with my computer and can't edit a video, so I posted a blog about the first track test:
http://projectbluesmoke.tumblr.com/post/151615995638/first-track-test-of-my-electric-motorcycle

I was able to fix my computer and edit the video of the first track test session. Please enjoy:

[youtube]AR2OxeM2ApM[/youtube]

Lovely video - great editing!
What was the top speed on the track?

Edit: could you measure the winding resistance on the motor and add it to https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Electric_Motor_Selection? PM me if you want to "adopt it" :)

My top speed was 87km/h (54mph) according to GPS. Had to be gentle on the throttle as the battery voltage was sagging. Given a longer straight it would have gone faster. I'll measure the winding resistant at some point.

I decided to build my own BMS using TI's bq76pl536a chip.

[youtube]oVVKdvIoUMw[/youtube]

I'm facing an issue with my BMS. I have now two modules assembled and working. I was able to balance the 12s pack of my eBike. Then when I plugged in the charger negative terminal, the BMS went haywire. It doesn't happen when just one module is used. I tried to tune the RC low-pass filter to 16 Hz, but didn't help. Any ideas?

Back