New Bafang Crank-Drives

Hey folks, usualy posting in the Foto/Video and LR-Kit-sections, but think that video belongs in here.
i like the camera-position and how it moves around, but it destroyed my camera by hiting a rock... several times

[youtube]A0tj_Alvcb8[/youtube]

shot it on the way home, Bike is this one here:

AF7JA said:
tomjasz said:
Do pay attention, if you do, no big deal. I did a thread with some photos and there are others. Do it now when it's easiest.

But back to the question, are people using (auto store sourced) white lithium on the plastic and moly on the metal, or the red grease from the article on everything?

I am a bit concerned with the red grease, it looks like he felt a need to clean off all of the old grease before applying. Is the red grease a grease that does not mix well with others?
Lurking included Bafang lubrication specs here....
ttps://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/EBike_Motors_Middrive

Corrected link:-

https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/EBike_Motors_Middrive

E-Zero said:
ESrs, this is my way to thank you all for your comments and forum knowledge!
My completed BBS-02 13sLiPo; only pedal activated with cutoff key.
Base is a Rockrider FR-6, 140mm F&R matched with 200mm F&R hydraulic brakes.
In a single world; FUN
It is lovely to ride!
Hope you like it!
IMG_20150329_174718_1.jpg

IMG_20150329_175150_1.jpg

IMG_20150329_175233_1.jpg

Thanks!

wow that is really a pretty bike and beautiful picutes too.... nice work.

So after about 1000's of miles (my E-odometer turned over :lol: ), my BBS2 has a major problem. It won't pedal anymore. The clutch pawls :?: that engage the main front pedal gear is seized. I was hearing a small ratcheting sound on human power which would disappear as Epower would engage. Didn't think much of it at the time, so I left it alone. I'm not going to try fixing it for the following reasons...

1. The newer designed and higher powered versions are available.
2. My BBS2 had plastic cover plate protecting the nylon gears (located on the right pedaled side). Over time it deteriorated and cracked. I'm hoping the newer versions have repoaced the plastic with metal :?:
3. goto reason 1 :mrgreen:

LockH said:
Luna Cycle just added 2 new photos to the FacePlant forum... with description:
Bafangs top secret new drive is basically a bbshd built into a lighter package for production bike with a torque sensor..... basically 4x the power of the bosch drive in a more robust more affordable unit.
14102733_1636979486592780_7189717063906295595_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/lunacycle

But this engine fits only for special frames. It is known as Bafang Max Ultra Drive and already on the webside of Bafang.
Every year there is a 24h-Pedelec Race(assistance only until 25kmh, like German Street law) at the famous "Nordschleife of the Nuerburgring Racetrack" organised by Bosch: one team by Bosch itself(Bosch Factory Team or Worksteam? not sure how you call it), many other teams all using the Bosch Performance Line and one single team with Banfang MaxDrive(250W, not the Ultra with 1000W). The Bosch management was not amused by the result of their race :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A pity that you won't be able to buy one in Europe (Bafang won't sell it, because they think there is no need for a bike you are not allowed to ride, except on your own property.

The problem why we do not have an ebike motor with a torque sensor, which fits for most bikes like the BBS02/BBSHD does, is quite simple:

The torque sensor of most Ebikes(old Bosch, but the new Bosch Performance Line, CX ...has a different solution) is around the axle of the bottom bracket(sorry, I don't know the correct english word for this part),
but you can see one here:

000188E3_rwd_600.jpg

There is no space for this and they are quiet expensive, that's why Bosch changed the torque sensor they used(which they had to buy from FAG) around 2013 and now uses one of their own parts.
But they needed another gearing for this. Negative: if you ride the bike without assistance you can feel that you need more power than with a normal bike.

I made this video when I changed some bearings inside(how stupid is it to use no sealing for a E-MTB for 4600e and the main bearing failed within the first 1000km). It shows how the new torque sensor works.

https://vimeo.com/179562731

The part with the gears can rotate at an axis when you start to pedal(same thing that happens with hub motors and why they need torque arms). I move the part in video like it this.
The torque sensor goes through this part, now it can't move any more, but the sensor measures this force and sends a signal between 0-2.5V to the controller.
It's a sinewave signal, there is a polish developer who build a small controller with bluetooth to generate this signal and can use it as a throttle (and has much more power(over 1200W) by using restitors) :mrgreen:

Some hub motors use a simple sensor at the chain and measure this way how much power comes from the rider, but with a middrive this won't work as it would create an endless loop.
sorry for my poor english, I had to look up many technical terms because english is not my native language

Allex said:
Where can I find this polish guy with his BT throttle?

Sorry that you had to wait so long for this answer.
I tried to contact him with the PM function in different forums in which I had read that he had a controller that could simulate a throttle for the Bosch middrives after 2013
But they were written half a year ago and after that he was no longer active.
Some weeks later I found his youtube videos and could send him a message.
He told me that he tried to find a certain number of people to start a small production of a much smaller unit.
But his videos only show the function, but no power and speed is shown = not very motivating. The motor looks very slow

But I think the 2016 Bosch CX Middrive has a lot of potential. No problem to ride my fully with 29x2.35" tires with 50km/h(32miles/h) until the battery is empty(draws about 1000W).
I use 45:10 tooth(Front sprocket can be changed from 35 to 60tooth)-
I can climb any hill, it is unbelievable how good the torque sensor works. You don't have to think how much power is needed for the perfect grip/traction.
Just ride and you will directly feel it. (45T:42T Sram XX1). You will forget that you have a motor after a short time.
sometimes I wish there would be a programmable gearsensor (0-15kmh with cut off, >15kmh no cut)
You can write him a message, he told me everything in detail. But like me, his native language is not english...but I could understand everything easily.
He still had 1 controller left, but without the bluetooth function to change the signal with a smartphone app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2xuQ17iCMY

I read every posting and text, I can find about Banfang BBS02 and BBSHD, but I find a lot of different statements and don't know which are true.
There are 50% difference, for example when people write about how fast their bike is(of course fat bike and road bike will lead to different results)

Can someone(or more then one person) tell me how fast will an Ebike with a BBSHD and 52V battery (30-50A const. current) be?
It should be a MTB(Suspension, but for now it will be locked) but with tires that run very good on the streets(Schwalbe Big Apple 29x2.35" or Marathon Supreme 29x2.0" with high pressure, over 2.5bar).

What do you think, how fast can you go with pedalling(PAS and enough gears are available ) and without pedalling(throttle)??
How much Wh should you choose for at least 40km/25miles range(at the coldest day of the year with strong wind :shock: )?

Thank you very much for your help

I've been expecting Bafang to come out with a Mid Drive that has both torque PAS and a throttle. Just a matter of time.

My first post on this thread was number 66, a very long time ago. Now, I am posting number 4,436 and reflecting how much has changed since those early days.

It's over ten years since I went to Suzhou to visit the Bafang factory to sort a CST motor issue (a manufacturing defect they did not detect because Suzhou has no hills whereas I live at the bottom of a very steep one). While there Yonree, their English speaking rep (who had visited me in New Zealand and experienced the defect trying to ride up our hill), invited me to take a test run on their BBS01 - serial number one. Here is a photo I took of it. 17 January 2013.

1681898380744.png

At the time it was the only BBS motor in existence. I asked to buy one, and in March (2013) they sent me serial number 17. I tested it for six months, then put together a buying group on our island. We convinced Paul at EM3EV, who had been making my batteries, to give it a try (and to coordinate shipping all the batteries and motors for the buying group). Until then he had not much to do with Bafang, but subsequently he had substantial influence in the evolution of the motor.

It took until Feb 2014 for the kits to arrive and we had an install day at our place.

1681898642329.png

Suddenly our island had mid-mount ebikes in all shapes and sizes, and - as we had hoped - the local bike dealers saw them, tried them out, and began to import them. The ebike market in New Zealand was transformed. The competition became fierce, with new retail businesses setting up shop and eventually the big boys getting in the game - with premium prices to match. Soon high-quality ebikes showed up in showrooms and on the streets, and today that first buying group is a footnote in ebike history.

We kept a few motors installed on various bikes (Bella Ciao, Velorbis, Raleigh, even a Mercedes Benz branded bike) but eventually settled on the Bella Ciao, an Italian steel frame made for city streets and cobblestone.

1681898968390.png

I even commissioned a bicycle-blogger named Velouria to pen her ideal geometry which we had made by the Italians - and yes, it is the most comfortable city bike I've ever ridden, but unfortunately the cost of international DHL shipping tanked the business plan we hoped for.

1681898936499.png

1681899171797.png

Eventually those 2014 batteries died, the last one giving up the ghost in 2020 (not bad... 6 years) so the guest bikes moved to the back of the garage to gather dust. Then the other day, we had some visitors where the son was friends with a couple of brothers starting a business making ebike batteries in their basement. NZ$250 (US$150), so I ordered one and was impressed. Today I picked up three more so I can repower the garage queens and sell them (on wife's orders).

But I also took over a 52v battery and BBS02 48V motor that turned into an arc welder three years ago. I'm good with mechanics, but not electronics, thus my solution in 2020 was to buy a new BBS-HD and a large 52V battery and toss the old kit in a box. I told the battery maker it gave off a huge spark, but he was not expecting the lightning flash - impressive that the battery held a charge for three years. He concluded the motor had a solid short, no different than touching the positive and negative wires. I may try pulling the motor apart, but having learned the battery is good, I thought it would be interesting to see how the market had changed in the past 10 years. If I have a good 52V battery who is the leader in the mid-mount motor biz?

Imagine my surprise to read it is the Bafang BBS02.

There also seems to be a Tongsheng brand, but similar price.

Any alternatives? I don't want to pay a lot as I have no idea how long the battery will last.

This is a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing. I feel like I am in the same situation with the TO7 MD01 motor that you described with the first days of the BBS01.

I just spoke with Alex from TO7 tonight on the phone here in Australia. It’s amazing that Bafang have not progressed much of their technology in mid drive kits in ten years. The TO7 looks like a good upgrade if it works well.

Thanks for sharing your story of forming a buyer’s group - this may be the approach we could take here to get the first motors, and of having an install day, and the subsequent effect this had in the community and industry. Inspiring stuff and interesting to learn from.

There are a couple of threads here about the TO7. I recommend getting in touch with Alex to send you one. They are shipping at the end of the month.

There is also the CYC Photon which is likely to be quite a bit more expensive (around $1500AUD) but is a very refined product.

Back