Cargo trike sharing in Mexico City being considered

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
My name is Antonio Suárez, I head a Mobility and green infrastructure lab at UNAM university in Mexico City.

Part of our work is to select few electric bikes to test in order to develop future electric bike share systems including bike strategic design characteristics which later could fit in to existing industries to later start manufacturing, we need to think on urban and cargo mobility needs for Mexican cities also including strategic partnerships with industries, bike builders, and other which can help to kick off electric bike share in country

Some few questions to the forum:
1. If we were to select 3 remarkable electric cargo bikes which ones should we get?
2. same question for urban bikes which later main characteristics could become part of an electric / Hybrid bike share system.
3. Which would be a reliable US supplier for this willing to open markets abroad ?

Gracias
Antonio

Seen here (posted last night):
https://electricbikereview.com/forum/threads/presentation-need-assistance.9926/

First (and only, so far) suggestion there? The Juiced ODK... :)

Well, I don't see anything in the quoted section about trikes (which is what your thread title says it's for), just bikes, but if they *are* looking for "remarkable trikes" then for cargo carrying capacity you could nominate the SB Cruiser design; it could be replicated pretty easily and could be scaled up or down as needed. :)

ACK! Yer correct of course. Guess re any "cargo" for me a trike comes to mind first. (If not just attaching a cart... etc.) I'd def. consider a trike just to allow for users that may not balance "well"...

(BTW... "SB Cruiser design"? Link please?)

I can't remember the name of the company, but there was a Mexico made cargo trike at interbike two years ago. A folding cargo trike of the type with two wheels up front, and a big cargo tray.

LockH said:
Is in my signature. ;)

Just note that it's evolved since the beginning of the thread, so you would want to look at the beginning and then the last page or two, if not the whole thing.

amberwolf said:
LockH said:
Is in my signature. ;)

Just note that it's evolved since the beginning of the thread, so you would want to look at the beginning and then the last page or two, if not the whole thing.

Dang! Dogs included? Last time I had dogs to "walk", w/harness two Dobermans could pull me along pretty smartly... Right up 'til they could smell beaver/muskrat/etc scent... then we would go "off roading"... Exciting! Streetlight poles were a bit problematic though (stopping to check for any dog messages). Def. cut W-h's consumed per mile.

It's been almost 50 years since I last drove in Mexico City, and traffic was pretty heavy back then. Today's traffic would be "exciting", I'll bet. In traffic, I feel a lot better on two wheels than on something lower, less visible, and wider, like a trike.

Madrid, Spain has an ebike share program. A lot of people use it, the bikes are conventional, with hub motors and appeared to be pedal assist only. There is enough terrain relief in Madrid to make electric assist very valuable.

Contrast this to Barcelona, the share bikes there are pedal only, they appear to have 26" back wheels and 20" front wheels, this gives them more cargo basket space over the front wheel. I don't remember seeing cargo baskets on these bikes though, how strange if the bikes don't have them. Barcelona does have some hills but also has some relatively flat land too. Again, lots of people use these share bikes, mostly on the flat parts of the city.

San Antonio, TX has share bikes, as does South Beach, Miami, FL. Both appear to be pedal only. South Beach is flat, as is the part of San Antonio, that has the share bikes.

My concept of an ideal share ebike would be, the Barcelona type bike, big cargo basket over the smallish front wheel, with a pedal assist rear geared hub motor. Limit the watts output of the hub motor to a level that allows long lived, and trouble free use, but is still enough to be helpful. The PAS could be "torque simulation" type, for simplicity and reliability.

A final note: bike share in the places I've mentioned, is orientated toward short distance transportation, and definitely not for all day tourism. For tourism biking, it is cheaper to rent a bike at a bike rental shop.

Riding a (recumbent) trike... in "heavy" urban traffic, I already have a "tall" (5+feet) vertical pole flying multiple "CAUTION" yellow flapping plastic tapes. Next step? To add a babies seat strapped on back (sign "Baby On Board") with a toy plastic doll in its seat. Doll properly dressed of course. When bored, might throw doll from seat into traffic. [kidding!]

I will post this on that site too, but the best product I have yet come across for a true cargo E-Trike that is readily available is the "Truck Trike" in Portland Oregon:

http://www.trucktrike.com/who-we-are/

For a rent-a-cycle-truck operation, I'd definitely favor a traditional bakfiets trike layout, with a front platform pivoted in the middle. Not only can that format carry a huge load while maneuvering relatively precisely, but it has a normal rear drive wheel like a regular bicycle.
grote-klassieke-bakfiets-420.jpg

Christiana-trike-007.jpg

The main challenge for an electric version of such a trike would be getting the motor to deliver good power at the low speeds appropriate to a trike like this.

`Kay. For a shared bike scenario? My vote is for a handcart that you can connect to any shared bike. So the cart and contents can be walked around your own neighbourhood... or anywhere, but then also coupled up to a bike to cover some distances. (Cart converts to rickshaw for carrying passengers as well.) ;) This way the bike can be used as a bike-only vehicle when no "real" cargo is involved to make it lighter/more nimble/smaller. Always been a fan of multi-purpose. :)

Back