Amberwolf's Music Studio Technical Stuff

Didn't get much more with the wiring stuff done, but did get some music made:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13400554
or rather, rendered into the computer to upload after some editing (still needs a bunch but it's a good idea song), actually started it more than a couple weeks ago.

And one I forgot to link in my last post:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13378541
done that day

Been trying to actually play the guitar (mostly the electric, cuz it's easier to record), though not the normal way, of course. Not much time for it, and hands don't work right most of the time, so not gotten very far, but did a song with it, called Dog Day Dreams:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13423233

I still can't play the guitar very well, but this is the best I've been able to do (electric bits over the rest). I think it needs a remix as well as the usual editing. (and it's way too long unless you just wanna zone out).

I started with the guitar part, playing with sounds and effects, played to the "drum machine" plugin (which will have it's MIDI output edited later, if I ever get bck to this song, so it's not so repetitititititive). Added was the synth-pattern-sound, then the bass, then the "ghostly" piano.

Probably took about an hour to evolve the guitar part, then another hour to create the rest of it. No editing has been done. To actually make it a "real song" it would probably take another 20-30 hours, minimum (which is why I almost never finish any songs--I just don't have enough time, and it is tedious and fairly boring, when I can instead keep playing with other sounds. :oops: ).

A Dozen Skulls' title came from a discussion with Raine in which one of us said something like "a dozen skulls away from art", but I no longer remember the rest of the context/conversation.... :/

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13400554

Another long one...and too busy. But it's a start. Guitar in this one is all keyboard. :/ I forget exactly waht order I did stuff in for it, but again it would need many hours more editign (it's had a little) to make it ok.

Two new ones (well, four, but three are just variations on a single one, are extremely long, and probably very boring), coudln't sleep but couldn't really function, so was playing iwth teh acoustic (well, electric, but only cuz it makes it easier to record it in since it has a direct plug instead of using a mic).

The latest one sounded so much better when I was creating it than it does now that I go back and listen to it when I'm mostly awake and functional (as opposed to zombiefied).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13433453
it's too busy now, and needs stuff chopped out of it in a lot of places. :( I end upw tih that a lot cuz I hear something that needs to be somewhere but I can't seem to just play it in that spot. :/

The other three are here, and might someday in some heavily edited or totally remade form become part of the Grave Subsidence "album" I'd like to make about the whole fire and aftermath, if I can ever work out exactly what I want to get out there with it:
v1, 15 minutes long
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13431253
v2 about half that
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13431254
v3 both of them together in parallel
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13431255

A dozen skulls has some good bass oooomph behind it, my art show is taking longer than expected,might be another 3 mnths till im ready. i tried again to get my cd up on the site,but i must be doing something wrong, it wont finish.i thought maybe the master wasnt loud enough but i boosted it as far as i could go..i might see if someone with more computer tech can help me out.if not i will send you the cd :wink: .. im going to go try its been a few mnths.

I can't carry a tune in a locked steel box, so I put both vocal and non-vocal versions up of the two most recent:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13444825
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13444824
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13444823
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13444308

More stuff, mostly made when I was sick but couldn't sleep/rest enough. The most recent one I keep going back to the guitar bits and trying to replay them correctly, but can't, so I started chopping up the audio in SONAR6 and manually moving each note to the correct timing. Even with that, I'll still have to replay it to get it better, and then redo the timing fixes for that. :/

timing fixed thru around first third of the song; levels and mix and panning corrected
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13453107

original
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13452497

sketch of a quickbeat song idea; not edited at all yet
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13448311

Updated Light in Your Eyes so it's better, but forgot to remove the bass guitar intro
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13448310

BTW, if you don't like popup windows for the player, then use this:
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=13453107&q=hi
and just replace the 13453107 number with the number of the actual song you want to play.

(this keeps javascript from using a new window, and just uses the tab you're in to do it. No way within the site to make it do that by default, though).

Or use this for "play all"
http://www.soundclick.com/player/bandradio_player.cfm?bandid=675355&q=hi

I finally had an hour or so to dig out all the bits for a long-delayed project, of getting a pair of Acoustic Research (sound familiar? I like their "older" stuff, generally :); their newer stuff not so much, but there are exceptions) AW871 wireless speakers working.
DSC05843.JPG

Originally I found the speakers themselves at Goodwill for $5.99,
DSC05840.JPG
but the transmitter and the power supply were missing, so I got them for half that...and it was half-off day, so I actually got them for 1/4 that price. :) I'd've gladly paid the whole $5.99 for them, as I once heard a pair at a place I visited, and they were decent enough (not as good by far as the Powered Partner AR570's I have, but good enough for what they are). I gather they originally sold for about what one of my AR570's did....
DSC05839.JPG

They can be battery powered, by 8 (12V worth of) C cells, but that would be silly for my uses, as they'd die pretty quick and cost a lot more than the speakers did ;). However, I found (the same day I got these) a ($2.99, but again, half-off day, so $1.50) Bose power supply good for +18V *and* -18v each at 1A, and since these are wireless speakers there are no audio connections to have a common ground...so I would simply be able to run one off the + and one off the - 18V of the Bose PSU.
DSC05838.JPG

Anywy, so no transmitter. This didn't really matter as my original plan was to open them up and tap into the amp chip to add a line-level input, but I didn't ever get that far before having to set the project aside for other things.

STill, I kept looking whenever at GW (like I do for other bits and pieces of projects that need stuff). Didn't find the original, even after many trips over time to GW, but I did find a Recoton unit,
DSC05841.JPG
DSC05842.JPG

and as it turns out, it's perfectly compatible (though it's possible the original would transmit audio with less distortion or a better frequency range or more bandwidth, etc.; I can't compare it direclty, and it is good enough for now). This was only $3.99, but again, half price day, so a couple bucks. It didn't have it's original 18v wallwart with it, but it seems to work ok on a 12V from an old wifi router. Since it has an adjustable output frequency, I was able to vary it up and down until the AR's "caught" and lit up the blue signal light, and after a few seconds they began outputting audio from the source the Recoton was hooked up to. A little static, but further fine tuning of hte frequency knob fixed that.
DSC05835.JPG

Each speaker has a left, mono, or right audio selector switch, and on one of them that switch cuts out if you touch it...but if you leave it alone, even thumpy bass doesn't mess with it, once set to any of the 3 positions, so I haven't done anything about it.

The only issue I run across so far in the sound is that there are "burps" in one or the other speaker every so often, that sound like something might be interfering enough with the signal to break thru and override the transmitter.

At the moment I'm re-listening to some of the stuff posted up above, and it sounds "right", meaning about the same as it would on the other speakers (not as crisp, but good enough). So well worth the hour-ish of time and the $5 or so I put into it. :)
DSC05836.JPG

I just did a quick search, and found a few used around the web for $40 on up to over $150...I think my patience and DIY was certainly worth a $35+ difference. :)

I've certainly spent more on MUCH worse speakers, over the years. :)

Off and on listening to stuff with these speakers, they have WAY too much bass with certain types of material; things with narration are difficult to listen to, with the voices BOOMing out every other word or more often. :/

Someday maybe I'll have a chance to open them up and either find a pinout for the chip(s) in them, or scope the signals out, and find a good place to put at least a basic "tone control", if not something better.

Alternately, I might be able to do it inside the transmitter unit instead.

For now I have (in between the audio source and the input to the transmitter) an old 5-band (separate for left and right) EQ with the three mid to bass all the way down, and the next one under halfway up, and the high all the way up, and it helps but is insufficient. There must be something inside the speakers themselves that is boosting the deep bass quite a lot.

Am too busy in what little time I have for projects right now, mostly with SB Cruiser's redesign/rebuild, to do anything more than that.

So a few weeks ago the P4 computer Grin Tech sent me died, bad motherboard, and despite all attempts to repair it, it's toast. The CPU appearst to at least POST in another MLB out of the boxes of old stuff Etrike had sent me a year or two back (of which I haven't ever gotten a whole system completley working; every time I think I have something going it starts to have wierd problems before I even get the OS and stuff installed), but that's as far as I've gotten, since it's a different chipset I can't just boot up the WinXP that is on the old system's HDD, will have to repair-reinstall it, then fix all the drivers, etc. (still faster than reinstalling by months).

For the moment I'm still able to use the much older AthlonXP backup system, which while extremely slow and incapable of doing even half of what I need it to, is better than nothing.

But Green machine was kind enough to send me a much more recent laptop, which while less useful to me than a desktop (cuz I can't install PCI cards in it) is at least definitely powerful enough to handle the cpu and disk loads that music creation puts on a system. The problem is...it uses Windows10, and nothing I have or need to use was designed with that in mind--almost all of what I have is at least as old as WindowsXP, some of it older. Some of the hardware has drivers that still work, and I've managed to get a USB audio box and a USB MIDI box installed and working, though I have other stuff that I'm still working out a way to get in there.

Software is sort of working--it's wierd. Most of what I have can be copied over and just work, sometimes with a reinstall over the top and then resetting a bunch of settings (days to weeks of fiddling around depending on time I have for it), but for some reason a lot of things simply don't work or they won't reinstall (or reinstall but still don't work). Many plugins can't find their content, evne though it is right where it is expected, and some that have the option to tell them where to find it (most don't; it's just built-in), but they dont' remmeber any of these settings and ask each time they are used, which is very annoying.

Even installing the main program (SONAR6) doesnt' fully work, as none of the additional content/plugins/synths correctly install, and have to be individually manually registered with regsvr32, and some of htem will not work at all that way, as their installers simply dont' run or dont' finish.

I suspect a number of these problems are related to permissions, in that it seems like if a program has to do anything more than display "hello world" on the screen (and sometimes even then), it has to be run as an administrator, and you have to do that manually EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU RUN IT, which is impossible to do for anything except the host itself. (which I can create a shortcut for that supposedly automatically runs it as an administrator in an advanced setting....but I can't do that for the individual DLL files and synths and plugins).

I've already tried taking ownership of everything, and it makes no difference. Havent' found anything other than permissions/ownership/run-as-admin as potential problems, and I can't even solve those completely.

I can run SONAR, and about half of the plugins I've tried so far work apparently normally, but the rest either won't even open, or they don't show up in lists, or they don't work properly when they do open.

Because of the problems with those, almost none of the existing projects open without errors, some crash the program, and a couple of times ti's actually rebooted the laptop!

I've got emails in to some of the vendors that still exist about the issues, though some simply aren't even around anymore to ask, and most of the stuff I use is either freeware or came from beta testing things and is either unsupported software (never released, just get to keep the betas and use them) or bundled with the host it came with (and thus not supported by either the host vendor OR the synth/plugin vendor).

Most have no install media, either are just dll's that get manually registered for DX plugins/synths, or sit in a folder for VSTs for the host to use. Or because they are bundled they only get installed wtih the host software, some of which I dont' have install media for anymore after the housefire (and don't remember which vendor the host was from because I only used the plugns, not the host). Some have downloadable media from the vendors, but some of them have broken sites ro don't exist anymore. So fixing those is up to me and just messing with them till I get them to work, or have to give up.

Eventually I might at least be able to sort out which plugins simply are never going to work, and fix others, but so far many of my main plugins and synths aren't usable. :(

I still have one more step to try, partly to recover my presets and settings, but it is quite a bit of work itself: going thru the registry of the backup system (whcih is nearly identical in setup to the dead one) and exporting all the registry entries I can find for the plugins and host, then importing all those into the new system. (and hoping THAT doesn't break even more stuff). It might fix some of the stuff that cant' remember it's settings.

Anyway, I haven't been able to do much else yet.

I *am* presently typing this up using my FF portable on the laptop, so it's useful for internet at least.

BTW: before I let it connect to the internet, I disabled a whole range of services (via a list on a site called black-ops-something, using one of hte "safe" versions of the list, plus a few others I researched and verified I don't need/want), and Cortana, and unisntalled a bunch of unwanted and unneeded stuff that came with the laptop. It prevents any updates of anything on the system until I reenable stuff and explicitly allow it, so that I don't wind up with sudden problems down the road from updates unfixing stuff for me, or breaking new things, or deciding to reboot itself in the middle of whatever I'm doing (like Bill's system has done to him a number of times with 7, 8 and 10).

This didn't make any difference to the problems though. :(

My computer is from 2009 and i dislike windows :x ,i gotta try ubuntu again.i liked it alot but couldnt find pics-music etc.finally got my cd up from 1983 it is on cdbaby..will put link,we did it on a fostex cassette recorder and did it on the fly, doubt you will like it AW its a bit of styrofoam drums and wierd spkrs with change with any instrument that makes noise .. but it has a theme beginning to end.

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/MarkElford?_ga=1.159851709.1842566282.1474861675

Been a while since I was able to or in the mood to work on music, but I made up for it with this one:

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=13530596&q=hi

called "Who?"

like most stuff it's not finished yet but I've already had people say if it was on iTunes they'd buy it and stick it in their playlist. :shock: I don't think it's that good...but it is more "done" than most of what I stick up here.

It could be about a number of different subjects. Been suggested it could be used for a "secret superhero" series title song, though it'd need some work for that, and wasn't meant for that.

I guess I never posted the pics of the acoustic-electric "conversion", taking the pickups/knobs/plug out of the firstact electric guitar and putting htem into the acoustic, so here they are.

I did this because it is kinda hard to record the acoustic with microphones, as the dogs come up and whuffle into them while recording, or all the other sounds (walking, barking, or even just the super-loud car stereos as people drive by or park in front of their house and go inside while leaving all their car doors and windows open so they can still hear it inside (for hours, usually), instead of just using a stereo in their house to do that).

plugged straight in, none of that gets picked up.

Attachments

• img_4511.jpg
    img_4511.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 5,190
  • img_4512.jpg
    img_4512.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 5,190
  • img_4513.jpg
    img_4513.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 5,190
  • img_4514.jpg
    img_4514.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 5,190
They do have acoustic guitars where you can already plug in, such as Ovation/Applause.

So I used to use a cheap old electric keyboard to do some scoring on no budget videos, I had the Network collection if they wanted to actually pay for some music but I wouldn't use it if they wanted freebies. Haven't had that thing on in years, something about this bad shoulder.

Now I get ideas about Apple Pro Logic X.

With this electronic music. If you don't actually play, can you really get some sound like this?

[youtube]Fc1-FR-eRLI[/youtube]

If you mean, you don't really know how to play the various instruments, or you don't have them to play, then sure, you can still do what I do, by drawing the notes in the piano roll, for instance, or using a basic MIDI keyboard (or other MIDI instrument) to "hunt and peck" the notes, or do whatever playing you *can* do on it.

I don't really play, either; I'm probably not really even beginner level at any instrument. I'm just good enough to get the bits into the computer and manipulate them. :oops:

As for software, I use Cakewalk's SONAR, but Cubase or Logic do the same kinds of things in slightly different ways. I've never used Logic, though I tried out Cubase once; workflow was too different from what I was used to so I didn't continue with it.

I also sometimes use Cakewalk's Project5, which is like Ableton Live, or FruityLoops, in that it is made for live use or studio use, to build songs from loops of existing audio (there's at least hundreds, probably thousands, of libraries out there, free and otherwise, or you can make your own).

IIRC, Millenial Moment on the soundclick site is made using P5, partly with loops that came with it, partly with stuff I played in.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=5112657

ILP on the site is almost entirely made with loops that came with it, with a lame sax part played over the top the only thing that wasn't a loop.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=5119466

SONAR can do the same thing, and probably the other software can, too.

Most of the sounds I use came from free VST plugins off the web, from sites like KVR-VST.com and links from there, and stuff found over the years that doesnt' even exist anymore. :( Some sounds I create myself, but that's tedious and I don't do much of that anymore (did it a lot when I started out; now it's easy enough to find something close to what I want and tweak it with effects if I need to). Some stuff I use from my external MIDI hardware, but nowadays almost everything comes directly out of the plugins hosted inside SONAR, so that I can load up a project with all it's sounds and stuff and not have to remember or note down what was used on external gear.

Dauntless said:
They do have acoustic guitars where you can already plug in, such as Ovation/Applause.
Yeah; there's also plenty of pickups that are simple to clip on or set inside existing acoustics, but all that stuff costs money that even if I had isn't worth spending on something I'm crappy at anyway. ;)

If I had money to throw at it I'd get a new MIDI guitar, like (but better than) the old Yamaha I lost in the fire, and play the notes into the computer so I could fix the crap I play in, without having to re-play it a bunch of times and chop it up to get just the bits I need out of it, discarding hours of junk, for each minute of actual song. :/

If I *really* had money to throw at it, I'd play in my ideas, then get some actual musicians to play what I *meant* to play, and an actual engineer to edit and mix it. :lol:

But I have yet to even find someone willing to attempt to collaborate, much less the above. (requires money to pay them, generally lots of it).

Couple new links; first one is just a shortened version of the last prior song, with some more guitar in it (which needs to be chopped up and fixed for timing, wrong notes, etc).
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=675355

Second is a new one but it's just an idea sketch, mostly jamming with sounds for 10 minutes. Needs to get shorter, cut out all the junk, remix, eq, decide where it's going and get it there, etc.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=675355&songID=13595199

I have a new project to do, once I can find a cheap set of short-neck bass strings: convert the crappy electric into a bass, since right now the way I play bass in via guitar is to use only the low string of the acoustic, tuned down as low as I can without it flopping against the frets when hit with enough force to make sound that can be picked up usefully. That's not realy even an octave, at most, down from the regular tuning.

Another problem is that there's something wrong with the acoustic in that the open tuning of the low string is off by a noticeable amount from any fretted note on it, regardless of tuning or tension. The fretted notes played are all ok relative to each other, but the open note is not. I tried a few things, including a tall enough metal piece under it to act as a fret right up at the far end of the neck, but cant' get it quite right (it does change the problem, though, so I'm on the right track I think).

The rest of the guitar's notes are not off when open vs fretted, just the lowest string; I can't visually see any difference in the nut on it vs the others, but there must be something....

Regarding turning the electric into a bass, I could use normal long strings and build a neck extender to go between the body and the bolt-on neck. I'm considering doing that, if I can figure out an easy way that won't bend around with the force of the much thicker strings on it, at the higher tension.

If I use long strings on the shorter neck, they won't sound the way they would on a longer neck, and would likely be floppier, more likely to buzz against the frets, etc. I'd probably need to add a block under the bridge to raise the strings up some to avoid that. Might have to do it anyway just cuz the strings are thicker.

I'll also have to drill the string mounting holes in the bridge out to fit the thicker strings. Probably the tuner pegs too.

Why bother with all this? Well, buying another guitar is out (money); buying the parts made for a bass is out for the same reason. Even if I had the spare money, i don't play well enough to be worth spending on it. I'm only even thinking about it just because I play different stuff with the guitar than I would with a keyboard: I don't play "normally".

I have no set of notes I'm trying to play, but rather my movements, ears, and something in my brain all work together (sometimes :oops:) to generate patterns of notes/sounds/rhythms, and if the movements I have to make are different, then so will be the resulting notes/sounds/rhythms. So on a guitar, I'm doing stuff that's different than what I've done with the keyboard.

It's why I also want to find a really cheap drumkit that can be used via MIDI (I can't properly setup and mic' an acoustic one, plus I haven't got the space for it; a MIDI kit can be a lot smaller; I can set it up for the pads to be swung out from around the desk area, or folded down from a wall, etc., where I can't do that with a mic'd acoustic. The movements for that are completely different from those of using a keyboard to do it, so I'd end up with different patterns and rhythms. It'd also be easier to hit the same notes without hitting a bunch of others accidentally, which often throws my rhythm off, and that doesn't help laying down drum tracks meant to keep time.

Of course, I'll still ahve to go in and edit it all, which is the part I most often dont' have time for, so almost all my stuff I've recorded is just idea "sketches".

Regarding the bass, if I did do the extender, I could actually use it to make a pitchbender as well, if I could figure out a mechanism to move it that could be used while playing, that wouldn't cause the strings to hit the frets or board. Probably won't bother with that, but it's a thought.

An article on the differences between short/long scale basses, for those interested:
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/long-short-scale-bass-differences-explained/

I started on bass at 20 years old on a borrowed Beatle Bass clone. Then I used a Gibson (headstock inlay said "Gilirun") EB3 short scale model for many years before switching to a Rickenbacker 4001 model and played it until I wore it out. Then I got a brand new Gibson RD Artist which I still have. It has an extra long 35 1/2 " inch scale neck and is hard to get strings which are long enough to go through the body. The Moog/Norlin electronics work but I rarely used it that way, except maybe at the Crescendo in Anaheim which was an Altec demo project club right up the freeway from corporate where we opened for Black Oak Arkansas and Steppenwolf back in the day.
Also used EBOs as a loaner in the early days. Tried Fenders (still have one for a spare). I think they feel chunky and neck-heavy but the tone is good through the right amp.
The right amp makes all the difference to get the best tone, along with the strings used. Still have Ampeg and Acoustic Control Corp. amps. Don't need anything else, IMO.

I'll have to live with whatever I can get out of the experiment (if I ever find the stuff to go thru with it); honestly I don't think I'll have to worry about the tone yet since I'll have to learn how to play decent *timing* on it first. :lol: (not to mention getting the actual notes right).

I don't actually have "amps" or "speakers" in the usual sense; all of that is emulated within the computer when I want to have something other than the raw tone. I have plugins that run in realtime on the tracks (so I can listen to them as I play, for instance), like Native Instruments Guitar Rig LE and IK Amplitube (though presently those plugins aren't working due to something in Windows10 I think), and some various freebies (VST plugins, I think) collected over the years, like Little Green Amp.

I think the only fix I'll find for my GRLE is to switch to the newer
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-5-player/
which I'll try out sometime.

Mostly I just use the free VST stuff--there's lots of it out there, and most of them don't crash the host program. ;)

Dauntless said:
With this electronic music. If you don't actually play, can you really get some sound like this?

youtube]Fc1-FR-eRLI
I'd meant to link this beofre but forgot; i was looking for something else in this thread and re-ran across the post and remembered. :oops:

This is a sample library I've wished I could get for as long as I've known about it (though I would never be able to use it to it's potential...).

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Music

That page is a player for the demo pieces to show off the various sample sets. You can choose particular composers, programmers, or styles of music. For a quick demo, just pick the film music style, and there's a number of easily recognizable pieces. One I like is Jerry Goldsmith's Air Force One: The Parachutes (I've never seen the movie, but the beginning of this piece sends a "thrill" up the back of my neck; not much music does that).

Pick the song from the list below the player, then click the play button next to it (or click teh name of the song in the player itself) to begin playback. The red arrows have tutorial files as well as the audio demo, presumably to show you how to create something like it.

I expect most of thsi music was programmed in as MIDI notes and controller info, not played in.

The actual sounds are sampled symphonic instruments, note by note, sound by sound, in all the ways each instrument can be played, etc. (AFAIK, anyway, not being a "real" player of any of the acoustic ones myself).

My system is struggling with the Vienna Symphony site, what else is new. It downloaded Bolero, but I can't tell if these are a collection of sounds I could make use of or what. I wonder if that file will work on Logic. I also can't figure what's tutorial about it. Maybe that only works on the VSL software.

Yeah, I must be as big an idiot as some people want to pretend I am, I can't find this film music style section. But that was the original purpose of VSL.

Dang, over $15k for the complete library. Of which one would pick through and use what? 2%? Nobody uses the full potential of anything that has real potential to it. But if it was a money maker . . . .

https://www.cmc.ie/content/fee-guidelines-music-commissions

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/12/arts/music/a-digital-orchestra-for-opera-purists-take-and-play-offense.html

[youtube]4517pI-Evts[/youtube]

Dauntless said:
It downloaded Bolero, but I can't tell if these are a collection of sounds I could make use of or what. I wonder if that file will work on Logic. I also can't figure what's tutorial about it. Maybe that only works on the VSL software.
I don't know anything about the tutorial stuff, since I don't have VSL.

I doubt it includes any sounds (given the costs of the various VSL versions) and would require that you already have the specific VSL sounds it asks for. Just to play with it you could probably use other similar sounds but they won't respond the same way to controller input, velocity, note choice, etc., that the VSL would.

I would assume that if it's like other programs I've used, it's essentially a "settings" file for whatever composition program you're using (that the tutorial was written for, since those programs are different) that loads up the basic MIDI data, then has some sort of text or help file that explains how to load up the specific VSL sounds you'd need for it, and how to setup programming for the various ways the instruments are played to make them sound realistically-operated.

It's unlikely to be a "beginner" level type of thing, and would probably assume you already know how to use your composition program to do that sort of thing (adding MIDI controllers, effects, routing things, etc).

Yeah, I must be as big an idiot as some people want to pretend I am, I can't find this film music style section.
"Style" button dropdown, lower right corner of the lighter band under the dark blue box list.

You're making me jealous. Not just the doing it all but the sense of contentment. I guess if I had a real job I'd feel better about pretending I'm a musician.

So '60 Minutes' just had a Voyager scientist talking about far your smart phone is advanced from the technology aboard this deep space probe. Your studio would win a cyber war against both Voyagers. Come up with the right music and you could be on Voyager 3 with Chuck Berry.

All you have to do to use the VST plugins with Logic. That's all. Just click on submenus and open the libraries.

[youtube]keci8XFULlQ[/youtube]

Back