vLazair

regmeister

100 W
from Dale Kramer, of eLazair fame (see this thread, comes the vLazair

He's presently working on a 1/4 scale model, and raising funds selling the 1/32 model. Contribute if you can... see the website for more info.

QuarterScale-Full700.jpg

vLazair_1-32-700.jpg

[youtube]tfWJ1Jq7edg[/youtube]

Dale was a boy genius, now he's a man genius. I met him back in the early '80's, (?) and as I recall he was still in his teens or very close to it, and was already running his Lazair ultralight aircraft business. We were both at a big fly in in Gimli Manitoba, and we ended up competing against each other. The event was thus: you got one qt. of gas in your tank, both aircraft took off at the same time, and the last to land won, simple and a good test of overall efficiency and pilot skill. I had beat everyone else, then Dale and I were the last competitors. We climbed, I used up my fuel, and started the glide back down, except he was doing loops! He still had a bit of fuel left, enough to do aerobatics and really rub it in how superior his plane was, I never forgot it! This would have been annoying with some people, not him, he was a good guy and fun to fly with, and it's great to see he is still (like) very active after all this time. I would love to touch base with him again and remind him of his performance that day, the smart ass! He is super talented and I'd put a lot of faith in anything he came up with.

Dale has been a friend of mine for years, and everything craneplaneguy said rings true to my experience with Dale as well. Very sharp guy with a strong sense for adventures and the skills to pull big things off well. I wish him the best in this new adventure.

What a cool design. The cockpit concept is really thinking outside the box.

This is my favorite light, electric VTOL aircraft project yet. The hybrid solution to increase range and decrease the pack size via the gas engine and generator has a ton of merit until we can increase battery energy density by an order of magnitude or more. I am not going to stop work on my ePPG, but boy I would love to get involved with this project if he were close to where I live... this is certainly one worth following!

Brilliant....

It seems like there could be a challenge with programming the flight controller for smooth transition from hover to forward flight. I'm curious to see how that goes with the SPracing F3 EVO. I have no experience with that FC, but I know of a few Pixhawk projects where that has been accomplished. I have been really impressed with my Pixhawk. With reviewing the telemetry in mission planner I was able to detect that I had a motor going south long before it posed a real problem inflight. It would be great to develop some routines to automatically detect motor issues before they become problems for an electric aircraft with a human riding in it!

it has been vary quiet on this thread and on Dales website with regards to progress on this prototype, hope dale is ok!

Back