What did you cook today??

Marty, congrats on the grill! My Dad gave me mine as a housewarming for the first house I bought in 1977 If I recall correctly. It has been a workhorse! I have replaced both burners twice, the rock grate 2 or 3 times, and the top rack 2 times. It's still cheaper than a new grill and just keeps on burnin' the steaks! ... it also has a bunch of sentimental value too. Oh, and I painted it in high temp paint, probably twice in those 40 years.

Marty and wife live on the second floor. Years ago, wife was grilling on the first floor porch. Marty is playing with his computer. Wife comes up stairs and says.... "There's something wrong with the grill" Marty is not too concerned and keeps playing with his computer. After about the third "There's something wrong with the grill" Marty goes to investigate. Propane gas regulator had gone bad and grill sounds like a rocket ship. Didn't take me long to figure out we have a SERIOUS problem here. Closed gas valve on the tank. Bought a new regulator. All is good again.

Warm weather here today. Time to start grilling.

More chili, though it's not hot enough outside these days to fully cook everything, so I had to pre-cook the beans first on the electric stove, and I fried (to get the "carbonized" flavor for later) up the cut-up-chucksteak on the stove too, along with the onions/peppers for the same reason.

Then the couple pounds of mixed veggies, 3.5 pounds of meat, 12 ounces of onions/peppers, pound of pinto beans, water, spices, etc., all went into the metal pot to "slow cook" over several hours in the sun.

But when I started it I forgot I didnt' have any tomato stuff, so for the acidic bit (to help soften the meat/etc, among other things) I used some canned pineapple chunks in their own juice. This changed the flavor but it is still very good; I may do this on purpose next time. :)

I did again also have to continue the cooking inside on the stove, as it didn't stay hot enough long enough outside to finish the cooking.

I didn't cook anything yet today, but last night, I cooked up some turkey taco salads. Turkey, spices, lettuce, avocado, salsa, sour cream and chips! It's a cheap quick meal that everyone likes.

The night before, I pan fried some Yellowtail in garlic, parsley, lemon and oil. My neighbor caught a decent fish and brought some over to share. It's awesome having a neighbor that will randomly drop off some sushi grade fish :)

I cooked this weekend Tuna Steak with seasame, yumm! With little salad real good (I am on the proper eating menu :? )

I am gonna become some sorta cave man or something.

Tilapia, wrapped in 4 layers wild grape leaves. Cook.
Saute a few stinging nettle plants and onions w/ some olive oil. Don't forget some vinegar toward the end.
Seperate stems to the side, cut wrapped fish in half, and add nettle/onion in between.

Serve with a few crunchy fried wild grape leaves as desert. They remind me of eating 'autumn' (in the best way possible lol).

If you think you're still hungry after such a delicious natural treat, you have a few fried stinging nettle stems left over to chew on. They remind me of a veggie 'slim jim' lol. The vinegar made the dish imo, though the textures along with the lemony grape of the leaves was one of a kind. I took a few pics to upload later, but utube is full of vid of people harvesting eating, and/or cooking wild edibles.

Next will be dandelion since you can eat the whole thing and the roots can even make a coffee drink. Something that's so hard to 'kill', and has more vitamins than most any single domesticated salad item, has gotta be good for ya.

Also, I might be high on that stinging acid from the stinging nettles. It's neutralized when cooked of course, but a few hours ago I ran naked thru a patch of them (for fun?); let me frocking tell you I hope I never do that again :twisted:

I try to keep it simple? Somebody caught a decent bass the other weekend, but nobody that fishes seems to eat them. Soooo, that was actually pretty tasty. Next time pics, and hopefully a better fillet job (tricky!).

I also concocted this bangin grilled ham and cheese with like 14 things in it. Must try again to make sure though :lol: .

As far as the snails, I'm hungry for more. I got about 35 and cooked them. Ate 5 or so like this:
View attachment 1

and stewed the rest with some wild greens into soup and froze for winter.

I like them mainly as kinda a garnish. Like instead of sausage in an omelette etc. BTW if you like olives/mushrooms with eggs/omelette, try some diced APPLE in there too!

Here's the latest 'wraps' for over the campfire. Apple in the mix too.

wr.jpg
wr (2).jpg
wr (3).jpg

Friend gave us a bag of loquats off her tree.
Loquats are a small fruit, with a great flavor, but consist mainly of huge inedible seeds.
Cleaned a pile of them... they were >50% seeds by volume.
Simmered remaining fruit for 45 minutes with sugar and juice of a lime.
E-Z loquat preserve.

Thinking this on some ice cream tonight is going to be just about right.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 1.40.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 1.40.58 PM.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 767
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 1.38.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 1.38.55 PM.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 767
Sorry I'm just not into whether food looks pretty, so it's unlikely I'll post pics. Tonight is a special treat that you'll have to picture in your mind how good it will taste, and that's chicken hearts and livers with bacon en brochette with lots of veggies to go with it...sauteed bok choy, big leaf spinach, and a kamote (a locally available potato-like thing which I'm sure is more healthy than common potatoes), though not too much kamote for me to keep my carb intake somewhat low.

We did tacos with low carb tortillas. Keepin' it basic.

IMG_20200611_220253338.jpg

You cooked and consumed a biblical figure? that's pretty metal.

Back