The Perfect Storm

When it comes to range, this bike will stomp the shit out of 99% bike all eBikes in a contest of both distance, and speed. It can run 25 mph for over 40 miles straight.

Warren is the 1 % er :D

I made this bike for my best friend. The fenders are special order from Passion eBike. Fenders are steel

The fenders are from Electra Bicycles. They're made from alloy

So you replaced every part that makes it an ebike- motor, controller, battery, and then added a derailleur and gears threw away the rack and installed fenders from an Electra and a different seat and you contend that it is a great bike! Are you kidding? The only thing left is the frame! :lol:

OptimusPrime said:
So you replaced every part that makes it an ebike- motor, controller, battery, and then added a derailleur and gears threw away the rack and installed fenders from an Electra and a different seat and you contend that it is a great bike! Are you kidding? The only thing left is the frame! :lol:

It's all completely stock officer.

Looks like I'm already obsolete. People are now buying 60v kits, which includes a controller, battery, and LCD, and they go 38 mph without pedaling.

Can note re these Sondors bikes... Number One topic in forums seems to be "upgrades" and "add ons"... These bikes, at X prices as supplied may be "incomplete".

But, carry on... :)

LockH said:
Can note re these Sondors bikes... Number One topic in forums seems to be "upgrades" and "add ons"... These bikes, at X prices as supplied may be "incomplete".

But, carry on... :)

I don't consider a Sondors incomplete, because the bike comes fully functional out of the box. All the modifications I did to my bike would have to be considered elective. This isn't unusual in the bike world, Harley Davidson has a 1000 page catalog full of aftermarket performance parts for their bikes too, and as popular as Harley's are that doesn't seem like a bad thing.

What separates a Sondors from most other eBikes is the availability of aftermarket parts designed specifically for Sondors, and amount of enthusiasm owners have for buying them.

Well putting out a substandard bike and convincing many to buy it just creates a secondary market for others to fill with upgrade parts. The fact remains that you yourself have replaced the motor, controller, and battery with upgraded parts that just shows that the original ebike was wholly inadequate. Yes I know it worked as an ebike out of the box but that in itself is not the standard for a great bike. There seems to be a certain cult mentality surrounding this bike that defies logic.

^^ :) Still kinda partial to the European products... "Swiss clocks"... "German" cars... "Italian" clothes... And I do expect these to be more... "spendy" to buy (and maintain) as "better" designed and built. These daze... Buy Cheap! When it breaks, just throw it out and buy new! I'm more a Tool Guy... Knowing I can buy "generic" parts from a local bike shop. :)

OptimusPrime said:
Well putting out a substandard bike and convincing many to buy it just creates a secondary market for others to fill with upgrade parts. The fact remains that you yourself have replaced the motor, controller, and battery with upgraded parts that just shows that the original ebike was wholly inadequate. Yes I know it worked as an ebike out of the box but that in itself is not the standard for a great bike. There seems to be a certain cult mentality surrounding this bike that defies logic.

You really have little understanding of what's really going on in Storm world. If it was like you think there would be hundreds, if not thousands of unhappy owners, but it's actually quite the opposite. It's pretty hard to find an unhappy Storm owner.

There are many thousands of owners that don't ever do anything to their bikes. There's also hundreds of owners such as myself that have spent their whole life turning any bike they own into their own idea of the perfect bike. That's a big part of the fun of owning a bike for a lot of people, believe it or not.

Right now I have about $2000 in my bike, and that's really not much for a bike that runs, and looks as good as mine does.

OptimusPrime said:
I get it that you like to tinker and mod your bike, me too. But my point is that you could have started with a bare frame and not had to throw away he rest of the bike!

Enjoy the KoolAid! Peace out.

Just out of curiosity, may I see a picture of your bike so I'll know what I'm missing out on?

OptimusPrime said:
I get it that you like to tinker and mod your bike, me too. But my point is that you could have started with a bare frame and not had to throw away he rest of the bike!

Enjoy the KoolAid! Peace out.

I've got more than $2000 in my "scratch built" bike.
But it's still less expensive than Motorcycles, ATV's, etc. And easier on my body.
I like "tinkering w/ my ebike and I'm at the stage in my life where the cost in a non-issue. If I was into pinching pennies, I would have built a gas-powered Spooky.
And I don't throw away my replaced parts. I resell them or give them to the kid down the street.
"Peace out"??
Are you stuck in the '60's?

motomech said:
But it's still less expensive than Motorcycles, ATV's, etc. And easier on my body.
I like "tinkering w/ my ebike and I'm at the stage in my life where the cost in a non-issue. If I was into pinching pennies, I would have built a gas-powered Spooky.
And I don't throw away my replaced parts. I resell them or give them to the kid down the street.

I also was building china girls before going all electric motomech. My 2 best were up around $2000 by the time I was finished with them. I consider my Fatty to be like an electric china girl, but in comparison for about the same money I consider it a huge improvement.

No vibration, and silent running greatly reduces the fatigue factor. There's no comparison in dependably, all my electric bikes have been as dependable as rocks.

Just the bare frame for this bike cost as much as complete Storm Fatty. I have $2000 in this china girl.

miro13car said:
OptimusPrime is right.
Theodore , who are you kidding.
Yours is not STORM anymore after all this rebuilding.

I guess you could say that, but not for long. Interestingly, Storm in a couple more weeks is coming out with a new fatty with a 7 speed derailleur like mine, and a 500w 48v motor very similar to mine. It's a similar setup to what's coming on the new Sondors Fold.

Theodore Voltaire said:
When it comes to range, this bike will stomp the shit out of 99% bike all eBikes in a contest of both distance, and speed. It can run 25 mph for over 40 miles straight.

Nice upgrades you've got there. I like that way you mounted the controller to the frame. Did you fabricate those brackets for the controller? If not, do you happen to know the source?

As for Sondors, I was really hoping a get my hands on a used frame to build up from scratch, but I was able to source a Cromoly KHS frame to build me a fast ebike :)

Cheers.

LockH said:
^^ :) Still kinda partial to the European products... "Swiss clocks"... "German" cars... "Italian" clothes... And I do expect these to be more... "spendy" to buy (and maintain) as "better" designed and built. These daze... Buy Cheap! When it breaks, just throw it out and buy new! I'm more a Tool Guy... Knowing I can buy "generic" parts from a local bike shop. :)

Have I got the bike for you.

You don't want a Storm, you want a Strom! For a few hundred $$$ extra, you get European design. But you new this already...

STRØM e-bike now on indiegogo (I know, it sounds like a bad joke...)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/strom-bike-the-perfect-e-bike-for-any-ride#/

Theodore Voltaire said:
Looks like I'm already obsolete. People are now buying 60v kits, which includes a controller, battery, and LCD, and they go 38 mph without pedaling.

that just does not seem very smart...

(Love your work and your bikes, btw).

Oh no, a new younger girl just blew into town, and she's smokin hot. Now my Storm isn't as perfect as it used to be.

Fatty_and_Foldy.jpg

Back