XPD: open-source keywin e-bike lab replacement

What could be wrong with my 18Fet infineon KH618 controller. I have been succesfully flashed it with xpd-ebike program many times. Now I tried the original chinese programming software, cause I read it was more solid. The programming went fine but I accidentally turned to throttle regen on. Now when I try to flash the controller I can't succesfully do it. Any of these programming softwares won't flash or even read. I tried new USB-TTL adapter but without luck. Also it halts now on high speed regen. Any help?

20170509_122637.jpg

20170509_122643.jpg

20170509_122658.jpg

From road
Multiplexed pins
Timing is critical
Documented well

You need to "poke it"

-methods

(Programming pins are multiplexed - so serve a different purpose after boot. Get it before it boots)

Read back one page.
Disconnect accessories that short that pin set

methods said:
From road
Multiplexed pins
Timing is critical
Documented well

You need to "poke it"

-methods

(Programming pins are multiplexed - so serve a different purpose after boot. Get it before it boots)

I didn't get it. Can you explain better please. :)

Please focus hard and try to remember everything that changed between when it worked and when it did not.

Something changed....

There is the PC interface and how the USB dongle maps to your COM ports.

There are drivers... Did you install this Chinese software? Perhaps it stepped on your XPD install.

Did any events happen to trigger this work like reverse polarity or poor performance
(FYI whatever software you use... Makes little difference... As the variables can only change within a fixed range)

Did you see any water or rain?

I would focus first on the UART COM port... Perhaps manually set it to 3
Try the software with no connection at controller... Behave differently?
Try the software with no connection at PC... Behave differently?

Did the cable get yanked? Pins bent? Use a DMM to test the signals.

I always like to throw it out the front door into the bushes, wIt 20 minutes to an hour, then start over from scratch.

Good luck

-methods

Looks like you are opening and closing controller.
This stresses cabling
Inspect extra close for open and short

Any dongle that powers the 5-volt buss should not require power from the controller.
Batt voltage down to 12V down to 5V

That said you can run into brown-out issues... if your buss has a heavy load and your dongle can't source the current.

-methods

Edit:. Dated info... These days chips may run on other than the 5V buss....

redline2097 said:
What could be wrong with my 18Fet infineon KH618 controller. I have been succesfully flashed it with xpd-ebike program many times. Now I tried the original chinese programming software, cause I read it was more solid. The programming went fine but I accidentally turned to throttle regen on. Now when I try to flash the controller I can't succesfully do it. Any of these programming softwares won't flash or even read. I tried new USB-TTL adapter but without luck. Also it halts now on high speed regen. Any help?

20170509_122637.jpg

20170509_122643.jpg

20170509_122658.jpg

would you know the shunt value for this KH618 controller
any help would be great

Green Werks said:
redline2097 said:

would you know the shunt value for this KH618 controller
any help would be great

GW, where are you located?

Shunt Value is probably around 0.90 mOhms to 1.50 mOhms. Usually that means you have to set the current waaaay lower than IRL. (i.e. program to 50A to get 100A Actual output)

You can test the rShunt value yourself, if you have a iCharger, or even a stable current and observe the voltage drop, then do some math.

If you don't have an iCharger, take a 12V battery/power supply/source, and wire a 12V Light bulb in the circuit, and measure the current draw on this. (Let's say it's 1.3 Amps)

Then run the circuit through light bulb and through the controller (as described in the video below), and measure the voltage drop. Say it's 1.60 millivolts (0.0016 Volts)

Then calculate the rshunt resistance: Resistance = Voltage drop/Current or 0.0016 V/1.3 A = 0.001231 Ohms (1.231 mOhms)

[youtube]okpFsoHNE7I[/youtube]

Thanks For getting back I am located in Ohio
If I could pick your brain for a second that would be great
I have a ERT 18 fet sine wave controller
Do you know who makes these it came with no shunt value
I am trying to get a grip on how to tune it for what I need
I have a 52v 24ah battery 50 amp continuous 70 amp burst GA cells
I also have a CA
the motor is a Edge 1500w DD 2600w max
where would you recommend that I set max amps on the controller and the CA
Thanks in advance for any input

Green Werks said:
Thanks For getting back I am located in Ohio
If I could pick your brain for a second that would be great
I have a ERT 18 fet sine wave controller
Do you know who makes these it came with no shunt value
I am trying to get a grip on how to tune it for what I need
I have a 52v 24ah battery 50 amp continuous 70 amp burst GA cells
I also have a CA
the motor is a Edge 1500w DD 2600w max
where would you recommend that I set max amps on the controller and the CA
Thanks in advance for any input

The rShunt Value will depend on the amount of solder, blobbed onto the board, so I can't say with any certainty, without taking the actual measurement as noted above in the video. You could set it to 1.25 mOhms as a rough guess and probably be kinda close.

ERT is evolutiongts' company. I would ask him if he has more info.

For settings, I'd program it for 40A battery and 80A Phase in the software, and see if that works for you.

Those GA cells are not ideal for high current draw, so keeping your full power sprints to a minimum will keep your battery healthy.

Set your CA to 60A limit.

Thank you very much
I was thinking on those lines
I was running the 12 fet version of this controller but it was getting hot
I switched to the 18 fet set up and It runs ok but I want to learn what is really going on
the 12 fet program is set to 50.2 amps and phase current limit at 125 amps
the 18 fet program is set to 50.0 amps and the phase current limit to 150.9 amps
I have the CA set at 50 amps max
I would like to alter the 18 fet program but I have had no luck
any thoughts on this would be great

Green Werks said:
Thank you very much
I was thinking on those lines
I was running the 12 fet version of this controller but it was getting hot
I switched to the 18 fet set up and It runs ok but I want to learn what is really going on
the 12 fet program is set to 50.2 amps and phase current limit at 125 amps
the 18 fet program is set to 50.0 amps and the phase current limit to 150.9 amps
I have the CA set at 50 amps max
I would like to alter the 18 fet program but I have had no luck
any thoughts on this would be great

Maybe a bad/incompatible programming cable.

Here's what you need for these controllers:

Program Cable to controller.jpg
USB-TTL Cable.jpg

Thank you so much again
I have that set up it came with the controller
The problem is I can alter the program in edit mode but when I load it
the controller wont work
I have to reload the stock program back in then it works again
I was a little concerned about the 150.9 phase current limit
and wanted to drop it down to the 125 amp phase current limit setting on the 12 fet
what say you

Hi all,

I tried to use the XPD program, which seems so much more simple to use than the Keywin software, but I have several problems....

First of all, my Xie Chang controller (supposedly on ver 6, which infineon number does it equate to ?) was delivered with a 5 pin MALE JST plug, which is unsual
P1060128.JPG

Also, my USB-TTL cable, bought from Lyen, doesn't have the same colour order from the picture 2 posts before,and the cable loop is not on the same pin number, which is a bit puzzling.

P1060126.JPG

As for the software itself, XPD used under Linux runs well but didn't recognize my controller (not surprising given the wire problem discussed above).
On Windows XP, XPD 3.3 doesn't even start, although all the packages from Sourceforge were installed (Python 2.7 is in the programs menu and the programs launchs).

Any suggestion ? I only want to program the regen braking on my controller, nothing more ! Thanks

It's not a permissions issue, I run XPD in sudo mode. It's just that the program waits forever that the controller is connected to the USB port, whereas it is already ! I pushed the USB-TTL switch for 10 secs but to no avail.

New version for public testing: 0.4.1 alpha.

Download here.

New features:
* Implemented KHxxx (AKA Infineon 4) controller support.
* Implemented profile downloading (EB3xx and KH6xx)
* XPD for Android (from scratch in Java) (not finished yet, so, no test builds for now)

I'd like to get my hands on a 12/18FET programmable controller - but it's a bit unclear where to get it and which ones are programmable?

alsmith said:
vex_zg said:
I'd like to get my hands on a 12/18FET programmable controller - but it's a bit unclear where to get it and which ones are programmable?
looked in items for sale section?
get in touch with Powervelocity- lots of posts
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75888
also website at http://www.Powervelocity.com

yep contacted the velocitypower guy for purchase, I admire his endeavour, this is exactly what we need.

Still would be nice to have some cheap controllers which I can push over the edge, reprogram and won't cry if I fry them. I cry when I fry something over 100$.

The problem is that these are not mass production items- you'd need something that is mass produced then you lose the nice things such as that programmable settings can be customised to your individual desires. You can get lower priced controllers closer to your vision but you get what they make and that's it- no customising to your needs. Controllers are available at under $100 if that's what you want- try here for around $70 and less.

How about an 18 FET controller for around $35? (guess price- I see them in UKP £), that's got to easily be under your throwaway consumer vision?

Electric Bicycle Brushless Motor Controller 48V 1500W 18 Fets For E-bike&Scooter Hot Sale

or

Electric Bicycle Brushless Motor Controller 48V 1500W 18 Fets For E-bike&Scooter

Me? I prefer the support that you almost certainly will not get with the above.
(demonstrated by the support I've had from vad/power velocity for my questions about my existing controller to add Bluetooth programming to my setup since he first posted info that he was working on it. btw I just ordered the parts today!
When I started out with my ebike I got absolutely loads of advice and help from Ed Lyen, and his service was excellent. That wouldn't have happened if I'd bought from an ebay or aliexpress supplier. He made sure I got something that met my needs as well as educating me- I owe him a lot. Vlad has that same approach. The ali/ebay suppliers will just want your money- I learned that from a 20Ah 18650 celled battery that I eventually identified as only 12Ah. )

Back