Bafang HD1000 FATTY - ME TOO

DSCN8432.jpg

8 Miles of fun in the mud today. Its funny, I used to be a real stickler for cleaning my bike after each ride but not so much anymore. Not sure on total mileage to date, but my Fat B Nimble's are getting very close to being worn out so I am guessing I have a 1500 or so miles on it anyways.

I thought I would post a photo of my present work around for filling in the space between the dropout openings and the axle flats on the SA hub. Shown in the first photos you can see the stip of brass sheeting I have folded up to fill in this space. What I like about this way of shimming up the space in the drop out opening is that the folded up unit of brass will not fall out of the drop out while riding. Also if the bike is upside down for wheel removal for trail side repairs the shim will also stay in place.

What I did is I fold up a long stip of brass 4 layers thick and then wrap it around the axle flats. I can not remember where I got this sheet stock of brass but I am sure it would be easy to get with a little internet search. This sheet stock has come in very handy also for seat post shim stock so I am glad I have a good supply of it. Very easy to do and it will not fall out like my other methods of epoxied cut up 10 cent pieces into the area.

I would highly recommend this motor and the luna front mini sprocket coupled with the Sturmey Archer Hub for those wanting to climb hills. At 1500 watts this bike will climb pretty good even at very slow speeds with no heat up or trouble (so far).............wayne

damn wayne....i am so happy you put this bike to good work. its so awesome how much love you have put into it and i love to see you rode the hell out of it.

I am sorry to say the trike you sent me is still in the beautiful box you made.... unopened in a corner....someday i want to open it and take your creation for a ride.

But regardless of how awesome the trike is .....seeing you reallly enjoy the first bbshd prototype bike ever has made the whole exchange worth it.

i dont know if it makes any sense to anyone but me and wayne....but just wanted to say that :)

that bike has special memories for me.... too me it is a piece of ebike history.... test riding that bike is what made me decide to gamble on bafang and the bbshd. Back then we couldnt even keep the chain on.....

The luna eclipse was made special just for that bike..... the stock chain ring sucked on that bike.

Just as a side note.... i remember right as we shipped that bike out i always felt the dolphin pack was not the right solution for that bike...and we shipped it out the day before we got the sharks....if a shark would fit i think it would make that bike a lot better (without the straps holding the pack on) Out of curiousity...did you ever see if a shark would fit on that bike?

ERIC

Yes I think the shark pack would be a better fit but I have not taken the time to measure it out for fitment but the dolphin works just great. I plan to be in Arizona in January so I hope to pop by your shop on the way down there and buy a shark pack if it will fit. ...........wayne

Its mushroom picking season here now in the Pacific Northwest. It was fun on the ebike today on some of my favourite trails looking for Pine Mushrooms, these mushrooms were only a foot off the single track. Into the backpack they went :)

Lots of people visiting the area here for our annual Mushroom festival. Our little town of Madeira Park is also this year hosting the Mushrooms for color symposium. I think 160 people are taking in the Color symposium this year from all over the world.

This is my first year picking Mushrooms and the ebike will be handy for getting out there closer to the harvest.

DSCN8467.jpgDSCN8468.jpg
I replaced my rear tire today. The old one was pretty much shot and it was starting to leak air. A four mile ride yesterday got me home with just a few pounds of air in it. Felt really weird riding the bike with that low air pressure. I think my old front tire still may last for the life of my new rear. It took at least an hour to scrub off the old latex gum that get left on the half tube liner. Hot soapy water and lots of elbow grease did the trick for removing the old gummy product off of the tube liner. I used Stan's sealant so not sure how it compares to others but once the old tube liner gets cleaned up its just fine for re use. I hope we get some early snow so I can use the new rear while its still got good tread.

DSCN8490.jpgDSCN8492.jpg
Chipping away at a bike rack for hanging off the trailer hitch receiver of the old mini van. It will be a single bike carrier only as the friends I ride with are all on regular bikes so easy enough to throw their bikes inside the van. With my new suspension forks it's a little harder to slide the e-bike inside the Van now because of the new handle bar height so it will be nice and easy to just pop it on the rear rack for car rides to the trail head.

DSCN8494.jpgDSCN8499.jpgDSCN8504.jpgDSCN8505.jpg

Pretty much done and I think it will work OK. I still need to make an upright mast coming off of the carrier that will connect to the top tube to stop the bike from moving around. Its a pretty snug fit around the tires as is but I don't want to put stress on the wheels rocking side to side in the carrier without some kind of extra support. Not sure what to do about the fact that my license plate will be somewhat hidden by the bike. I am thinking I may need to hang the vans license plate on the bike for daytime travel to be totally legal, but most likely I will just try my luck as is.

20161213_115319.jpg
First snow ride of the year today. It was actually pretty hard work as the conditions were mostly unpacked trails that have a consistency of one inch top layer of frozen ice and then powder under that maybe 4 or 5 inches. You just had to go slow and steady crunching through the top layer as you went. No need for Bear bells today that for sure, the ice breaking made a lot of snow noise, I am thinking you could here me coming from quite a distance.
The bike performed real well. My routine now when I get back from wet rides is to turn on full blast a 220 volt heater with fan to hopefully dry out all the electronics and connectors. After a few hours of that I just turn off the heat once the bike and motor is dry. My shop where I keep the bike is cold with the heat turned off but it's dry so I feel this short blast of high heat around and over the bike after wet rides is the best practise for winter riding routine.

My Sturmey IGH started to lock up on me on the trail yesterday. The back wheel would coast OK but not budge in a forward direction in response to pedal input. The whole wheel just seemed to lock up and not let the chain move the wheel but it would coast just fine. I first pulled the chain off the motor front sprocket and the rear wheel sprocket so I could see if it was the motor or the hub acting up. Once I noticed it was in fact the hub I put the chain back on and really stepped on the pedals until the wheel kind of broke loose of its locked position. Not a happy sound but it seemed to free things up but the condition keep on returning to lock up during my return trip home. The plan to get back to the car under pedal power was to apply light pedal pressure only and second gear seemed to work better than first but it locked up on the 3 mile trip back to the car maybe 5 more times. Each time the method to free it up was to hammer on the pedals and this made a terrible sound so not sure what I will see inside the hub when I take it apart later today. I am thinking maybe a little pawl spring or something came apart and got stuck into some of the internal workings of the hub. I have found some good videos on taking the Sturmeys apart and also the showings of how they work but nothing on the SX-RK3 specifically just much older hubs so I will try my best to take things apart in a way in which I can get it back together again. I dont think it had anything to do with clutch adjustment as that would show itself as the wheel kind of being in neutral instead of a lock up situation. Any one else had this kind of think happen to a IGH before (Chalo ?) I will post pictures of the look inside the hub later on........ thanks wayne

all fixed with the new internals, maybe go cassette or maybe stick with IGH

Attachments

• DSCN8778.jpg
    DSCN8778.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,865
  • DSCN8779.jpg
    DSCN8779.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,865
qr sq.jpg
I found a pretty good deal on a rear wheel complete with 170mm hub (one sale for $150 USA dollars) to replace the Sturmey Archer and its wheel. I also had good luck getting replacement internals for the damaged parts on the Sturmey. The whole unit including axle, sun gear planet assembly etc all for $75 brand new (long story). So the replacement assembly will let me get back on the trail for the rest of my holidays. Once back home I can reconfigure the bike to go derailleur. I figure I will go real easy on this hub once the new internals arrive and sell this rear wheel complete with the SA hub, maybe someone with a lower powered e-bike or a non e-bike owner will want it. Even if I get $100 for it down the road, it makes sense for me to buy the replacement internals so the wheel is not just a complete throw away and then its useable to someone.

After the joy of riding an IGH it will be hard to go back to a noisy derailleur again ( I thought I was done with those things for good ) but I think its the best option at this point. I will hack a steel cassette with a 36/13 or something like that and go with 3 or 4 gears only to get the best chain line I can paired with the 30 mini up front. This will give me a better spread on the gear ratio than the Sturmey but I am still not thrilled about the Sturmey's early demise. The good news is I should be back on the trail in a few days.

throttle.jpgwheel.jpgpedal assist.jpgbasic.jpg
I had good luck installing the new internals on the Sturmey IGH. I also reprogrammed the controller for a slower more gentle start up in the throttle setttings. All my new settings are shown here in the screen shots attached. With the new numbers the throttle input is going to let my IGH live a lot longer I am sure. The new rear wheel I got when in the states was going to be a spare incase the hub breaks again but I think I may just sell it locally here in the Vancouver Canada area.

1.jpgView attachment 3Untitled 3.jpgUntitled 4.jpgUntitled 5.jpg
I figured it was about time to do the regrease. First time I have had the motor open. It is now about a year and half in operation pretty much trouble free. I ordered a new plastic gear from Luna a few months back just to have in my back pocket incase it failed. I thought during the regrease today I would switch out the plastic gear but it looked perfect so I left it alone. I packed in the Mobile 28 at the primary reduction plastic gear that Karl recommends and then I put in the Moly grease in the secondary gear area. Both reductions were pretty dry no wonder it was starting to make a little noise. Inside the motor everything looked perfect to me. After the grease pack the motor is now quieter than it has ever been. Super quiet. I was pretty impressed as to how easy the repack was and also how good the motor looked inside. I dont run it in the rain unless caught in a surprise storm. If it does get wet I put in a heated garage and also put a 220 volt heater with fan right up close to the motor area and run it at full power for a good half hour to dry things out and I think this routine is why the motor looks so good inside. I am guessing I have 1,500 miles maybe 2,000 miles on it not sure. HD 1000 is a recommend from me for sure.

Enjoying your thread Wayne! Thanks for the photos and explanations.

Welcome to the forum "Segstro" and thanks guys for the encouragement also Ykick. I am glad to hear it's of use to others, I find keeping a build thread like this is also very helpful for the owner, as an example - I was tweeking my pas settings yesterday to really keep pas level 1 at a super low level so I could put around on the flats with just 75 watts or so going through the system, this would let me forget about throttle and go nice and slow while still catching up to the motor with some pedal input at slow speeds. All was going good until one last tweek at the PC when I rested my bike up against the counter that my PC sits on and as luck would have it my brake lever found the tab key and it was resting there depressing the tab key while I was did the read flash and write flash and things went kind of crazy. When the tab key is depressed and held down the cursor starts to of course wildly scroll through the parameters on the controller input fields and somehow I lost all my settings during this blunder so it was easy to refer back to this thread as kind of an archive of how my settings were from a few months back so I could manually bring them back . Its great to have a place like endless-sphere to store this info on ...........wayne

jumbo jim.jpgI have suffered two side wall tears with my love affair with the Fat b nimbles so I am going to try a different set of tires. As much as I have enjoyed the feel of the FatBnimbles the side walls are just not up to the task. I hope the Jumbo Jims shown in the photo will prove to be more long lasting as far as sidewall life. Ouch they are pricey.

Wayne, the tires with the lower TPI have tougher sidewalls. They are not as supple, since they have more rubber than cord in the sidewalls, but they are hard to puncture, and cheaper as well. The other route is to spend almost twice as much to buy reinforced sidewall tires. They are just a bit more supple than low TPI tires, but are lighter in weight. I ride a MB Lurch custom cut and reinforced to fit a BBSHD flush to the BB. It's a CrMo frame, so I can weld on it. I have 60 TPI Maxxis Minion tires that have seen snow, sand mud and rocks without a single puncture. The bike came with a 120mm Bluto RL front fork, and I use every inch of that travel. I routinely alter the settings of my BBSHD, especially now that I have the 2500 watt controller. I created the "Limitless" series of profiles, and encourage you to try out the "Limitless2.el" profile in the software located here, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9KXttJ6nbz6WUJTRTZnSmV0bDg/view?usp=sharing . I use Lekkie's 28 tooth chain ring for the BBSHD and it gives maximum hill-climbing torque and much better battery life than a 42 tooth chain ring. I routinely climb the 3500' Larch mountain here in Washington State, and I've climbed it rain, shine, and even in snow. Here is a video of a snow climb on Larch Mt. [youtube]https://youtu.be/YIGULcTsDKQ[/youtube].

Thanks Jasdidit for the tire tips. Glad to hear you have some snow out your way. Good video of the snow ride. I have not got my new tires out in the snow yet this year yet but they will see some desert action instead. Your bike must be fun at the higher wattage you are running. Happy trails...........wayne

Interesting to me that Mobil Engineer suggested not using a clay thickened grease.
“"Talked to an engineer at Mobil and he recommended Mobil SHC 100 for the non metallic gear. Mobil 28 is good stuff but it is a clay thickened grease as opposed to lithium and would not be compatible with any lithium grease that didn't get cleaned out or leaked in from the other side."

You’re using all M28, as am I, but my call indicated SHC 100 an all pupose better choice. Can’t find any research or data from those recommending M28. Thoughts?

Back