boston swing 5300 battery 3000 cycles

peleap

100 mW
Who used to use this type of battery?
I have a question
1. Type of battery ? ( lithium manganese oxide or lifepo4)
2. 2000-3000 cycles true or fake
3.Why not get popular

and Other comments

HTB1W49qIFXXXXckXpXXq6xXFXXX3.jpg

I don't know the exact chemistry, but I know they aren't LiFePo4 batteries as their nominal voltage is 3.65V.

Hillhater said:
cheapcookie said:
Nice find!

You know what it is?

It is two 18650 in a nice little package!

Peace.
Nope !
It does look like 2 18650s side by side, ..but it isnt.
Boston power have their own unique cell format.

size about 2 18650 (volume) and Weight 100 grams

I have a battery pack that has like 15 of these cells or so in it. I ordered another battery from a supplier they sent me the wrong one and told me to keep it lol.

The cycle life seems pretty impressive, but is it true?

I'm sure its true, for one cell in perfect lab conditions. One of those conditions is that it pretty much never sits there in a hot garage or parking lot, fully charged. The other is the cell can cool itself while it discharges, all alone on that lab bench.

Put it in a pack with hundreds of other cells, and park it out there in the real world, and you aint gonna see 3000 cycles.

2-4 years is typical for most of us. Number of cycles may not mean a thing, but number of days out in real world weather does.

The 21700 Tesla cells used in their powerpacks are warranted for 80% capacity retention after 5000 cycles in normal use .

Naked Image of the Boston cell..
images

The key questions to ask are:
1. 3000 cycles at what charge rate
2. 3000 cycles at what voltage (IE 4.15/4.25 etc)
3. 3000 cycles at what discharge profile/temperature (less important) how much actual capacity is usable

It's not hard to get 3000 cycles out of even old LiMn cells so long as the charging voltage is sufficiently below surface charge, and reduced capacity.

I'd like to see the actual datasheet but the Boston Power site seems to be down at the moment.

BGA Reworking aka Insat Intl in London use Boston 5300's a lot, they are very hard to weld to but they manage now with their state of the art 30k welder. Equivalent in size/weight to a pair of 18650's so theoretically a 2750mah single cell size. They are designed for industrial or heavier vehicle platforms as their actual use is in premade expandable modular systems which in them selves are very expensive with no welding involved.

hemo said:
BGA Reworking aka Insat Intl in London use Boston 5300's a lot, they are very hard to weld to but they manage now with their state of the art 30k welder. Equivalent in size/weight to a pair of 18650's so theoretically a 2750mah single cell size. They are designed for industrial or heavier vehicle platforms as their actual use is in premade expandable modular systems which in them selves are very expensive with no welding involved.

thank you information cell Batteries will only be used with certain items.

They also have assembly modules for no weld power packs that sound interesting
http://www.boston-power.com/products
http://www.boston-power.com/sites/default/files/datasheets/940-0020-001%20REV%2000%20Ensemble%20Module%20System%20Product%20Datasheet-English.pdf
http://www.boston-power.com/sites/default/files/datasheets/940-0016-001_Rev02_Swing_Key_442_DS_English.pdf

There is apparently a new clone of the Vector bike coming out with a 3kWh battery based on it.
https://delfastbikes.com/
Specs were obtained by someone on the EBR forum
https://electricbikereview.com/forum/threads/delfast-bike-offers-236-mile-range-on-a-single-charge.14482/

Note: I found this article about comparing a 2 x 18650 cell module with the BP single cell
http://ltmsales.com/two-liion-18650-cell-solutions-vs-boston-power-single-cell-solution/
http://www.boston-power.com/products/technology

Why not use this? First it is new for many, and produced in China, so many will trust more brand cells like Samsung, LG and so on.
Second it is 13A max continuous discharge, that is like 6.5A discharge for a 18650 cell. For big engines that is not enough, it could be enough for big packs used with relatively small engines.
Reasons to use this cell - 1# price lower than brand 18650 cells, 2# longer life, 3# less problems with temperatures. As usually price is most important issue for growing sales, so in the end this cell could be a good choice for popular ebikes, for models like the project "with Vector copy" that was able to pass the big Kickstarter test. And by the way, those are not copy frames, the real producer of the frames is not in Germany.
bs2.JPG

I have bought 6 of these cells and started testing them.

Initial capacity was 5200mAh.

3000 cycles is probably a lie. Different versions of the datasheet show different cycle life graphs !

After 50 cycles they just look similar to brand cells, not better (not worse either !). The degradation is clearly here.
They don't work for high discharge. 18A leads to unacceptable sag. That's the equivalent of 9A for a 18650.

More importantly, their safety is questionable.

I have measured more than 1.3g difference between cells (very very bad process control !). The inside foil wrapping is messy with kinks and short winding radius (risk of internal short circuit). And these batteries have caused numerous incidents in medical devices, leading to a trial against Boston Power. Many of these faulty packs ended up on fleabay !

Definetely an excellent value cell, perhaps the cheapest industrial grade cell on Earth at less than 200USD/Wh. That would make an excellent cell for big powerwalls in outdoor shed.

But I would never use it for indoor applications or in any unattended system.

How is the Sonata testing proceeding?
Any news on cycle performance?

Sonata is "blue" cell with PTC (or another safety fuse) inside so it has significantly higher internal resistance and it is not good for ebike or another high power applications. Swing is "green" cell which we are talking about. The cycle life seems very good, as it is comparable to the best 18650 cells like LG HG2 but the drawback is low discharge power of this cell. It is 13A continuous which is equal to 6,5A in 18650.

This cell is good for application where you can allow to oversize the battery (the drawback is size and weight) but on the other side the excellent price of this cell does not make the pack significantly more expensive.

My bad, I thought Swing and Sonata was almost similar.
Thanks for correcting me.
I remember reading about these cells when they hit the market several years ago.
Initial testing found them loosing capacity far faster than the claim of 3000 cycles.
The testing facility was then told to hold the test and not publish their findings yet it was leaked to the presses.
After that the company was sold to chinese vendors and end of story (I thought).
Nice to see your following up regarding cycle claim.
And the build quality was not very good either (as reported)!?
It will be interesting to see your final results.

I heard some rumors too, but from my own tests I do not find any significant problems yet. I am running cycle life test but I am now only at 150-300cycle depending on tested DoD and it is so soon to make qualified conclusions. But for now cycle life looks good, again especially for the price.

Back