KiwiEV VW beetle Nissan Leaf high power

kiwiev

100 kW
Hi Gents and Ladies

We would like to prove this idea thru EVTorque our conversion company using a Nissan leaf and after market high powered AC controller. :D I think there is a good DIY market for this idea.

I have been tossing around this idea for a while, the need to make a quick, small, cheap and reliable street car / track car.

There are more and more EV used parts becoming available its time to put them to good use and re-cycle high powered style, I have to thank Luke (live for physics) and Arlin (Arlo1) with his hacked Honda CRX Nissan Leaf build.

The Smart fortwo has a few good characteristics:

-cheap AUD$3-5K for a tidy 2004-2006
-no power steering
-light weight 720Kg
-rear wheel drive
-already manufactured electric
-have recess in bottom for batteries
-design has a built in roll cage
-TOYO R888 tyres fit straight on original wheels
-small

So my thinking is this:

-Nissan leaf drive less than USD$1000
-Controller we are working with Scott drive to dyno and tune a 150KW nominal 200KW peak controller AUD $5000
-Or Rinehart controller
-Chevy Volt battery packs 14KWH AUD$5000

Let me know your thoughts and ideas

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• 5727356322_9b89feafac_z.jpg
    5727356322_9b89feafac_z.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 3,206
  • img_3109.jpg
    img_3109.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 2,616
  • scott-drive-100-ac-motor-controller-for-siemens-1pv5135-4ws14-2.jpg
    scott-drive-100-ac-motor-controller-for-siemens-1pv5135-4ws14-2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 3,206
so I was thinking either 2 or 3 Chevy volt packs 300 or 450 volt I guess its going to hurt either way in the pocket and the fingers.

So the Scott controller can be wound up to 750 phase amps @ 300 volt 225KW not sure if Volt pack can give that
Or @ 450 volt 337KW

I think that would be a handful :twisted:

Cheers Kiwi

Here is a ICE version racing

[youtube]iO-8OMB61XI[/youtube]

I like the idea! The Volt pack would easily supply enough power (see attached test report). What about just using the leaf pack? It is probably 100 kg heavier, but is 24 vs 16 kW-hr, and would make it simpler - only one donor vehicle.

Attachments

• batteryVolt1078.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
EPowerRacing said:
I like the idea! The Volt pack would easily supply enough power (see attached test report). What about just using the leaf pack? It is probably 100 kg heavier, but is 24 vs 16 kW-hr, and would make it simpler - only one donor vehicle.

Thanks love your Cobra btw so what is your battery pack and specs?

Not many donor's down here in Australia so I have to source in the states by parts.

Cheers Kiwi

Warren said:
The guy, in the video above blew up his 11" motor, and switched to a 9"...probably much better for his drivetrain life. He also switched from Headways to a Volt pack.

http://www.evalbum.com/4155

Yeah so looks like a volt pack fits in.

Cheers Kiwi

Our pack is from a Kia Soul EV. 27 kW-hr and only 400 pounds. We also figured out how to use the OEM BMS and charger, so could help if required. The only problem is availability.

EPowerRacing said:
Our pack is from a Kia Soul EV. 27 kW-hr and only 400 pounds. We also figured out how to use the OEM BMS and charger, so could help if required. The only problem is availability.

I can wait do have dimensions?
Price?

Thanks in advance Kiwi

Should be a ripper, but personally having used a few RMS controllers I would go for Arlins DIY controller. It might cost the same or more than RMS, but the power is huge.

liveforphysics said:
Should be a ripper, but personally having used a few RMS controllers I would go for Arlins DIY controller. It might cost the same or more than RMS, but the power is huge.

Thanks Luke

I would like Arlin DIY controller but I am now a dealer for Scott Drive and can get them cheap they can also do angle phased and few other things.
And being a New Zealander thought I would give a New Zealand company a go.

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev said:
liveforphysics said:

Thanks Luke

I would like Arlin DIY controller but I am now a dealer for Scott Drive and can get them cheap they can also do angle phased and few other things.
And being a New Zealander thought I would give a New Zealand company a go.

Cheers Kiwi

Sweet! Maybe having local support they can parallel 2 controllers to the same motor? Excited to see more EV controller companies, I hope they thrive and do well.

I always wondered how those Scott drive controllers would work out. I watched a couple dead end threads on DIY electric car about them but never saw anyone actually using one yet.

We took the stock pack and reconfigured it by flipping the two halves and placing them back to back. We found this to be a more convenient form factor. It allowed us to re-use all the BMS wiring without making any changes. We built a new cradle made out of steel tube, then covered it with stainless steel for protection. The dimensions of our stainless box are 16Wx18.5" highx54" long. (which makes the stock pack ~ 37" w x 8" hx54" long.

Attachments

• 20160810_200819 (Medium).jpg
    20160810_200819 (Medium).jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 3,095
  • 20160817_203816 (Medium).jpg
    20160817_203816 (Medium).jpg
    179 KB · Views: 3,095
So the director of finance AKA my beautiful wife and put the foot down on any more cars and use what I have.

So here is what I have. :lol:

What do you think??

It ticks some of the boxes

Cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_3521.JPG
    IMG_3521.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 3,073
  • IMG_3520.JPG
    IMG_3520.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 3,073
EPowerRacing said:
We took the stock pack and reconfigured it by flipping the two halves and placing them back to back. We found this to be a more convenient form factor. It allowed us to re-use all the BMS wiring without making any changes. We built a new cradle made out of steel tube, then covered it with stainless steel for protection. The dimensions of our stainless box are 16Wx18.5" highx54" long. (which makes the stock pack ~ 37" w x 8" hx54" long.

Thanks mate

I pulled the trigger on 2 Chevy Volt packs to day just cant argue with the specs and I can add a few more modules for above 400 volts and a bit more capacity.

Cheers Kiwi

Chevy volt packs on the way do you think I should parallel them up for 36kwh at 360 volts or at say 8kwh to one pack and get to the high 400 volts at 26 kwh.
This would be lighter and provide some serious power into the Leaf motor like Arlin1 is doing.

Cheers Kiwi

Back