Tesla Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arlo1 said:
No any learning will help immensely as now they know to design the car for ease of production rather then cool features and they know all kinds of mistakes to avoid as well they know how to setup all sorts of the automation. ....
..they are building a steel/Al vehicle for the first time on different equipment ( still being installed) from a company they acquired only 6 months ago,and they have to learn how to assemble vehicles 5 times faster than they have done before,..without mistakes.
Arlo1 said:
Again so far EVERY SINGLE STEP THEY HAVE BEEN AHEAD OF SCHEDULE! ....
..not strictly true...for instance , final design release was a month late in July 16,
The Reveal show was at midnight on the last day of the month (march) they said it would be in, etc.
...not exactly every step ahead of schedule !

Arlo1 said:
There is a pattern with your comments and they are always negative....
well you know there has to be a negative to balance the positive ! :wink:
really, just trying to inject some realism into the over enthusiastic Tesla fan club.

Hillhater said:
..not strictly true...for instance , final design release was a month late in July 16,
The Reveal show was at midnight on the last day of the month (march) they said it would be in, etc.
...not exactly every step ahead of schedule !
Wrong time Zone....

In the pacific it was at 730 as it should have been... So it was right on time!
It was the evening they started taking deposits so it was not as if it was later then scheduled

well , i guess that sums up much of the fan club situation..
if you still accept that several hours after business close, on the last day of the month, in the last onshore time zone, still means they .." HAVE BEEN AHEAD OF SCHEDULE!".. then you must have thought the original schedule was to be 8 pm ??

It's ambitious but they seem to be doing well. Building modern cars is a seriously steep learning curve and Tesla are still relatively new to the game. If they've learned their lessons from the Model X development & production problems then they stand a fair chance of delivering. The 3 is more a "people's car", designed to for ease/cheapness of manufacture. Saying it's different to the S & X so therefore the knowledge doesn't transfer is wrong - the opposite is true.

Hillhater said:
if you still accept that several hours after business close, on the last day of the month, in the last onshore time zone, still means they .." HAVE BEEN AHEAD OF SCHEDULE!".. then you must have thought the original schedule was to be 8 pm ??

Yup that was always the plan. Its how They do it. Its a release party and they like to have them in the evenings.

Arlo1 said:
Hillhater said:

Yup that was always the plan. Its how They do it. Its a release party and they like to have them in the evenings.
...well if was always the plan, then technically it wasnt "ahead of schedule" , :wink: :lol:
PS.. Tesla SP down another 7% wednesday.

Hillhater said:
...well if was always the plan, then technically it wasnt "ahead of schedule" , :wink: :lol:
PS.. Tesla SP down another 7% wednesday.
That's good it would be pretty hard to schedule an event then have everyone book time off and flights and rent all the shit etc then say oh we want to do this earlier then planned can you all change all your plans for our release?
As for Stock prices lmfao Stock trading is another fake pile of BS.... Tesla Stock was likely to high to begin with but it will go higher....

I believe in tangible assets.. Not ticks on a computer screen telling me how much I own!

I'd be pissed with the boot opening and space it's far from functional it's more of a piece of art, I don't think this car is real going to push electric cars any further than the chevy volt already has towards making electric more accessible to the average Joe.
I'd be pissed with the trim testing to cutting time bypassing longevity testing of cockpit items tut tut tut.
I'm not k coking him but to me the news is hyping this situation and that normally means we got a belly flop coming with unseen cock ups readily due.
It's the second hand market that average Joe buys his car from so who are they kidding ?

Hey Arlo, i forgot about this one also..

?........ Musk said he has established a July 1, 2017, deadline for volume production of the Model 3, but admitted on the conference call that “the July 1 date is not a date that will actually be met.”

“The reality is that the volume production will then be some number of months later as we solve the supply chain and internal production issues,” Musk said.

As Musk suggests, problems anywhere along the supply chain are likely to push his timeline back. Yet, seconds later, he predicted production of 100,000 to 200,000 Model 3 units in the second half of 2017,
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon-musk-promises-tesla-will-do-the-improbable-or-even-impossible-2016-05-04

Hillhater said:
Hey Arlo, i forgot about this one also..

?........ Musk said he has established a July 1, 2017, deadline for volume production of the Model 3, but admitted on the conference call that “the July 1 date is not a date that will actually be met.”

“The reality is that the volume production will then be some number of months later as we solve the supply chain and internal production issues,” Musk said.

As Musk suggests, problems anywhere along the supply chain are likely to push his timeline back. Yet, seconds later, he predicted production of 100,000 to 200,000 Model 3 units in the second half of 2017,
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon-musk-promises-tesla-will-do-the-improbable-or-even-impossible-2016-05-04
When you watch the interviews it all makes sense.

He Set July 1 as the date for production start but planned on the real production date to be 3 months later. He did this to try to give Tesla a chance to sort out production issues... They produced serial number 1 Friday. So that's basically on time or ahead of schedule depending how you look at it. Its not 2.xx years late like the model x.... So far they are doing things 100% with the model 3

I find it amusing that some quarters in the press especially are so keen on Tesla failing that they will flat out ignore it succeeding before their very eyes. Okay, they are about to deliver 400,000 units of a premium EV starting at $US35k and they were a day or two late. FFS, where's your EV? :lol:

Like when France said they will ban the sale of petrol and diesel cars by 2040 - the frothy-mouthed bogans of the world were declaring that "Electric cars are shit" and "Can't go more than 10 km without needing to plug in". Despite evidence that EVs are faster, better, cleaner (even when powered by coal fired electricity) and can be made to be even better with new sources of power. Some folks choose not to believe in reality. :?

Its the general public opinion that is hard to change 130 years of ICE vehicles is 5 generation s worth!

I pulled up beside a model X parked in Cooma over the weekend an old couple saw the doors open and came over after the owner walked away to see what the car was. They asked me I told them it was a Tesla electric car, the first thing they said was you can't drive far and the second was the batteries are bad to get rid of when the car gets old. :shock:

Man Australia is so for electric cars NOT. :twisted:

Cheers Kiwi

:mrgreen: But I am ok if its late.... I don't even know how I am going to pay for mine yet. ;)

Well its been released into the public...well nearly !
All the initial production vehicles are going to Tesla employee sales only ! ...So im not sure that counts as a public launch ?
And aparently Tesla are not goung to publish the motor power and Torque figures , or the Battery capacity....unlike the Model "S" where that data was headline news and even used to designate different models.
Tesla doesnt think owners are interested in the basic numbers, only the end result,..range and 0-60 time .
Must have sone smart new marketing wizz oonboard to come up with that.
Wont be long before someone gets to a dyno and a data dump from the onboard software or charge station. :roll:
Any guesses on the kW at the wheels ?... I pitch for 250 kW :wink:

I'm hoping by the time Oz is ready to receive it's deliveries they've approved it for towing. I want to be able to tow the bike to the track.
Based on their numbers, the shorter range option must be between 55 and 60 kWh, and the longer range between 70 and 75 kWh. It's a 1650 kg car, which isn't too bad, so you can expect 150 Wh/km?

There's a guy that hypermiled a p100d to 560miles in Belgium he drove at 22 mph or 5here abouts to have very little air resistance he managed to get down to 54.7 wh per mile that's not bad going, Im around 30-40wh a mile on a stand up scooter at similar speed but I'm also 2 ton lighter and have alot more drag.

Eventually the pack details will be figured out by someone and be common knowledge, dito the motor data.
What puzzeles me is why a tech orentated company like Tesla suddenly think its customers are not interested in basic information which has previously been fundamental to an electric car specification ?
It would be very worrying if GM/Ford/Nissan\ etc, released a new ICE model and refused to reveal the engine power or capacity, and even the fuel tank capacity.

How about this...fake news ??
Tesla M3 using a bigger format "44160" cell !
http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-4416-lithium-battery-cell-model-3-next-gen-s-x/
.....just days before Tesla release.official details for Model 3, including battery pack sizes and their respective driving range, a new rumor has emerged pointing to a new “4416” lithium ion battery cell being produced by the Silicon Valley-based electric car maker.

The news comes to us from Ben Sullins at Teslanomics who received an insider tip that Tesla has produced a significantly larger cylindrical battery cell that’s roughly 44mm in diameter and 160mm in height, also known as a 44160 cell, and currently being used in the Model 3 battery pack. The new information goes against previous speculation that Tesla will be using it’s newest high energy density 2170 cell in the Model 3. Tesla’s Gigafactory is currently producing 2170 cells for use in its commercial Powerwall and Powerpack battery storage systems.

We had previously reported that Model 3 will be available in a 60 kWh and 75 kWh battery pack option. Unlike Tesla’s flagship Model S and X which currently utilizes its traditional 18650 battery cell, packaged within 16 individual battery modules, Model 3 will utilize only 4 modules containing the much larger and higher energy density 44160 cell....

Not sure this has been posted yet but the YouTube channel what's inside posted a video of them literally destroying a 24v Tesla module... The amazing piece is they took an axe to a battery and it just sizzled and smoked... No fire or nothing. Pretty amazing considering the quality of battery Tesla is producing these days. I wish I could get my hands on some of those cells!

I think 44160 cells at automotive prices could be very interesting to some of us who aren't interested in cars. That's almost 15 times the volume of an 18650, with a larger percentage of that volume being active materials rather than packaging.

Chalo said:
I think 44160 cells at automotive prices could be very interesting to some of us who aren't interested in cars. That's almost 15 times the volume of an 18650, with a larger percentage of that volume being active materials rather than packaging.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back