Retirement Time

Its about stress and how you deal with it.
Some people stress over the smallest issues, other can take a ton of pressure before feeling stressed or worried about what happens next.
Personally, i had a "near death" experience on a boat when i was quite new in my career and that has always put things into perspective whenever it got tough...I tell myself.... " worse things happen at sea" ..
in retrospect, i wish i had not stuck with some of the unsatisfying jobs and dumb bosses for as long as i did. Whenever i changed jobs, or was "retrenched" i always seemed to end up in a much better situation as a result. I should have taken the initiative earlier myself .

Moving is hard work, more work than when I worked except for shoveling sand or pitching tile. Much worse than the last move 7 years ago when we moved it all ourselves with my old pick up truck. Have to store everything so we'll have to move it all again from 3 different 10 x 30 storages to the new house. We'll have to hire someone to move the piana which stands for pain in (the) a** never again. That sucker must weigh 500 lbs. Too heavy to push up a U Haul ramp even with wheels. Need 4 guys and a dolly and a truck with a hydraulic tailgate lift. :x
11:30 pm and the pieces of work are still at it with the 1/4 sticks of dynamite and the skyrockets. I hate 4th of July fireworks. :twisted:

Congratulations! Retirement's nice,... after all those years with little time for family, friends, or even oneself, you suddenly find, you no longer have any time for work!!!

With great health, I opted for a dramatic change in lifestyle, in spite of low budget. My home is completely paid for,.... a 34' rolling upstairs apartment, that often sees changing sights, locals, scenery and seasons, . Living year around in a motor home isn't for everyone, but it's been very accommodating, and comfortable for me. It has all I need or want,... except a garden, and I since I have plenty of time, I often assist others in their gardens as I visit. My 'mini-garage' is equipped with wrenches, hand-tools, power-tools, portable workbenches, even a welder that's often useful.

I have my tv, computer, phone, gold pans & sluice, fishing gear, kayak, e-bike cruiser (primary transportation when home is sited), and various other hobbies not unlike many others in more permanent residences. Easy to accommodate friends and family for dinners or a vacation together, or jus hang out with "Pops" with popcorn and a movie.

And jus because my garage is "micro" and my workshop is under a 20' awning,... doesn't stop me from assorted projects for myself OR others. And like others,... I have an assortment of orphaned wheel assys, forks, pvc fittings, alum, steel, nuts, bolts, paint, camp chairs, and who knows what else one has at home. "Ask grandpa,... he probably has one!" Yup,... check with dad first.

Current major project? An extreme and radical scratch-built e-bike! Inspirations from sites like this, the previous mentioned 'Atomic Zombie', and many others. Stretched hand-crafted rigid square tube frame, powerful rear hub-motor floating in a very fat 16' motorcycle tire that will also support an accommodated passenger, and of course the signature 'outlaw' style of a retired old man that jus won't grow up!!!!

Lookin forward to cruisin' winter in Florida once again,... that's where retired "snowbirds" migrate to.

We still might discuss hitting the road for a while. Chomper and Oliver look befuddled, wondering where everything is disappearing to.
The movers got the piana, washer and dryer, but unhooking the water line to the fridge sprayed it all over the place. :x Now I'm trying to cap it off under the bathroom sink. Two trips to Home Depot, one by bike. :mrgreen:

All that's left is the beds, a couch, a TV and a few boxes. Got 5 shirts and 2 pairs of shoes and jeans in the car to last for a while until we get the new place. :|
No food here, no ice, only water. Makes it hard to take my meds on schedule. :(

I'm now officially the richest homeless person in SoCali. :?
Spent last night in the empty house on a Coleman inflateable matress, no pillow or covers is really roughing it for us. :lol:
Turned over the keys at 1:pm, then unloaded the truck and returned it.
Now on Coffee Bean WiFi having a coal black nitro brew java nursing my sore legs and arms and doing Docusigns for the new place. Meds are in my car still parked at the old place so no food or me. Just pain but it will go away, a soak in a hot tub would be nice. :wink:

What kind of meds? Are you sure that you need them, or did some pharma trained doctor just tell you so?
Alot of times meds seem to be just for something we could do or not do all by ourselves- But they're useful when they have to be.

Regardless it sounds like you're having fun making waves brother, peace to you and have fun!

I've been sleeping on a concrete slab and piece of carpet for a week or three, and cooking 50% by campfire :lol:, so I know the feeling!

Couldn't get glucose control well enough to please the Dr. so have to take pills several years now because I refuse to inject insulin myself. I'm even too chicken to do finger sticks 3x a day. :oops:
Found 2 pairs of shorts that my wife packed. :)
Faxed more documents at a 24 hour Fedex to the escrow company for the new place.
Have to snail mail them tomorrow and pick up general delivery mail at the post office.

Found extended stay 1 mile from the old house. Pet friendly so lots of dogs for Oliver to meet, always barking and going for walks. No exotic animals allowed so Chomper had to spend the night in the van. He's going to have yo stay at grandma's house for a while. We'll have to take him for walks in the park so he can find some dandelions and get some exercise. He's in summer semi-hibernation and spends most of his day with his head in a corner sleeping.
What a blessing my daughter found this place nearby in a good safe area close to everything we need. Slept for 12 hours from extreme exhaustion caused by stress of moving.

So... what is Chomper?

Trying to effect a transfer to the new area for my part time job. :? Wondering where our forwarded mail is in the postal black hole. :x Paying off numerous creditors. :evil: Got paid for 320 hours accrued vacation pay today, so my tirst pension check should come in on the first. :eek: Got to prove it all to the bank to close on the new place. :roll:

amberwolf said:
You'd think a house would be large enough it would be hard to lose. :p

What happened?
The people stripped the house of things that belonged there which were supposed to be conveyed to us as buyers and gave excuses as to why they couldn't bring the fixtures back. :x Breach of contract.

The fingers said:
amberwolf said:

What happened?
The people stripped the house of things that belonged there which were supposed to be conveyed to us as buyers and gave excuses as to why they couldn't bring the fixtures back. :x Breach of contract.

Are sellers sad because house didn't sell? Hire a third party - Any dummy. Have the dummy buy the house for less then you did. Then dummy sells house to Fingers.

marty said:
The fingers said:
amberwolf said:

What happened?

Are sellers sad because house didn't sell? Hire a third party - Any dummy. Have the dummy buy the house for less then you did. Then dummy sells house to Fingers.
Even nicer house, same floorplan around the corner, 20K less. :roll:

As far as I'm concerned, if someone puts up a price on something, and won't take it when offered, they're not interested in selling it at all, and are just baiting people into wasting their time.

If they want an auction, they should label it as such, and set expectations accordingly.

Back