Here Comes the Sondors Fold

If you like to ride fast, one thing you'll want to do with this bike is change the freewheel to a DNP Epoch 11-32T for taller gearing.

Buffy_s_fold_rear_view.jpg

Theodore Voltaire said:
If you like to ride fast, one thing you'll want to do with this bike is change the freewheel to a DNP Epoch 11-32T for taller gearing.

Buffy_s_fold_rear_view.jpg

How fast on flat ground with your setup no pedaling?

Theodore Voltaire said:
Yes, the controller is to the rear of the hinge, and the battery is to the front of it. It looks like it will be really easy to hack the battery compartment, and install a different battery. The stock Panasonic 48v 14 ah battery pack is good quality, and I'm getting 40 miles practical range.

One thing this bike has got that no other bike has, is a 6500 member owners group that will have this battery hacked to pieces toot sweet, and aftermarket replacement battery's will be available from multiple sources guaranteed.

Thanks, yes, I did see more when I looked at the video again. Your thoughts make sense. I bought my current car/van based on such a large public following and support. It was a big factor in the purchase.

liveforphysics said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

How fast on flat ground with your setup no pedaling?

23.4 mph with hot battery

Not so bad.

Theodore Voltaire said:
liveforphysics said:
Not so bad.

There's probably 500, mad eRocket scientists in the owners group working feverishly the unleash the beast as we speak lol.

I wish them all well!

Sondors says the frame is forged. Is that the same as hydro-formed? In the interviews online he says the frame was a lot of work.

Theodore, what is the space between the dropouts on your 7-speed? I have the Fold X fixie and it measures about 155 mm.

Theodore Voltaire said:
rumme said:
Gotta admit, it looks cool/ sleek, just like the original sondors fatbike in yellow. Problem is taller riders wont be comfortable on it. With those small wheel, Id imagine a 48 volt - 40 amp power system, would really have a lot of torque for hills.

Frame looks very solid.

I'm hoping what we're looking at here is the future. I'd like all the future Sondors to utilize this type of frame technology. The next bike should have a 2" longer wheelbase, and 24" fatty wheels.

Power isn't really an issue with me, because legally it's never going to have the power I want, so I'm ok with keeping the power low to hold costs down. That allows me to soup it up as much as I please, and can afford.

Speaking of the "future"... I'll suggest that Sondors consider a three-wheeler (... and recumbent) guessing that folks don't live "forever". :wink:

Whether you love or hate Sondors ebikes, he has been successful . IMHO, he should consider his next ebike venture to be a step up in quality and price.

1000 watt hub motor - 48 volt/ 20 AH battery - 30 amp controller with front / rear suspension - tubeless tires - disc brakes
and offer it in small/medium/large frame sizes and make it look clean and refined with 7 gears . Sell it for $1400 shipped { with optional upgrades like lights, rack, etc} and I think he will have another BIG seller.

I believe 1000 watt hub motor is the best all around power option that is still inexpensive and will suit most riders needs , especially if the rider is willing to do occasional pedal assist when going up inclined roads or dirt trails.

rumme said:
Whether you love or hate Sondors ebikes, he has been successful . IMHO, he should consider his next ebike venture to be a step up in quality and price.

1000 watt hub motor - 48 volt/ 20 AH battery - 30 amp controller with front / rear suspension - tubeless tires - disc brakes
and offer it in small/medium/large frame sizes and make it look clean and refined with 7 gears . Sell it for $1400 shipped { with optional upgrades like lights, rack, etc} and I think he will have another BIG seller.

I believe 1000 watt hub motor is the best all around power option that is still inexpensive and will suit most riders needs , especially if the rider is willing to do occasional pedal assist when going up inclined roads or dirt trails.

On another note, I wonder if Sondors would consider a mass produced MID DRIVE ebike...with mid grade components, full suspension , and a 750 watt mid drive motor , 48 volt / 20 AH battery , shipped for around $1500 - $1900 and available in 3 frame sizes. This may be another piece of the ebike market waiting to be capatlized on by Sondors

What made you switch to a 24" wheel in front?

It seems to me what that bike needs is "kangaroo cranks", meaning the crankarms mounted at the same orientation rather than 180 degrees apart. Then they're still technically usable (therefore legal) but much more analogous to footpegs.

Because who would want to pedal that bike?

Chalo said:
It seems to me what that bike needs is "kangaroo cranks", meaning the crankarms mounted at the same orientation rather than 180 degrees apart. Then they're still technically usable (therefore legal) but much more analogous to footpegs.

Because who would want to pedal that bike?

I pedal about 90% of the time. It wasn't much of a pedler stock. Even with 7 speeds you could only pedal to about 13 mph with the stock Shimano freewheel. Now with a DNP wide ratio 11-32 freewheel I can pedal to over 25 mph which is as fast as it will go.

Back