E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Rix said:
That will be a long range pack for sure. Do you have a battery spot welder? How are you wiring it up? Are you going to run a BMS?
Yeah, long range and about the same weight as stock also. :mrgreen:
I don't have a spot welder myself, but there's a number of fellow ES members around these parts who are very kind and have/will lend me their JP spot welder.
I'm not a fan of Battery Murdering Systems. :p I have a number of little 6S balance boards I'm playing around with atm, so I might hook those up to the balance leads, but for the most part I will just monitor cell levels periodically myself. This has worked well for me for a long time now, so I don't see a reason to change.
To get an idea of how I will build it, watch my video on the build of the 18650 pack I recently made for my recumbent:
[youtube]JM3Sqll5n00[/youtube]

My only concern for the Fighter pack is if the realised size exceeds the anticipated size. That's why I plan on taking my time, and making sure it is as tight and compact as possible, while remaining safe, well padded and rigid.

Cheers

I'm not a fan of Battery Murdering Systems
I learned from slow bulkcharging the beta that the cells are really close when the hvc trips. I have been told by an unpronounceable source in China that 18650 cells don't need a BMS and can handle bulk charging only. If I did this, I sure as hell wouldn't set the charge HVC to 4.2 volts per cell. All in all, I think some type of cell monitoring is a must. As for your battery build, If 14S doesn't fit, 13S will.

Rix said:
I'm not a fan of Battery Murdering Systems
I learned from slow bulkcharging the beta that the cells are really close when the hvc trips. I have been told by an unpronounceable source in China that 18650 cells don't need a BMS and can handle bulk charging only. If I did this, I sure as hell wouldn't set the charge HVC to 4.2 volts per cell. All in all, I think some type of cell monitoring is a must. As for your battery build, If 14S doesn't fit, 13S will.
Yeah, I bulk charge and never set the HVC to 4.2V per cell. At most I set it to 4.17V per cell and if I see any cells drifting more than 3mv (meaning some would be at 4.2V after a full charge) I drop the per cell voltage of the bulk charger down a bit. I also check balance roughly every 5-10 cycles, and do a balance charge at least every 15-20 cycles. So far this has served me well for over 5 years, 10's of thousands of km's, and 5-6 different battery packs and chemistries.
I've had 3 batteries with BMS's. One of them was the original stock Stealth pack which had to be repaired under warranty 4 times because the BMS kept tripping on a low cell group. One of them was from a crappy E-bike from 2010. The BMS had drained than pack down to <1V per cell. The 3rd is in a relatively new 2016 Focus E-Bike I bought with a 'dead' battery. The only 'dead' part of it was the BMS circuitry which I managed to bypass and revive the battery using a different charger. The manufacturer wanted to charge me thousands for an entirely new battery as they refused to send me a replacement BMS. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85441&p=1269074#p1249332
I've also had to repair/replace a few BMS's for others who have had them die for various reasons. I would say at least 50% of the BMS failures I have seen have been the BMS itself, not the cells it's supposed to be protecting.
All this is why I hate BMS, and personally don't like using them. All that being said, for noobs I think they are great and I can understand why manufacturers continue to install/use them on their battery packs.

Cheers

I would say at least 50% of the BMS failures I have seen have been the BMS itself, not the cells it's supposed to be protecting.
All this is why I hate BMS, and personally don't like using them. All that being said, for noobs I think they are great and I can understand why manufacturers continue to install/use them on their battery packs.

Guess I have been lucky with BMS. Stealth Bomber, Fighter, now P7, and the Adaptto BMS have never given me any problems. That said, I know several people that have same out look on BMS as you do, because of the failures they have seen/experienced.

37697750691_800b1325ff_z.jpg

37439791410_6a51b6c0a8_z.jpg

Fun w dust…….

37697750971_8a02c4cf76_z.jpg

I'm sure there is a trail there…….

Hello Everyone

Just got my b52 bomber and i LOVE IT

My question is, Where do you put your bikes? In the house,Garage? Wifey does not want me to keep it in the house :? I Live in dubai so it is kinda hot outside.

deemos said:
Hello Everyone

Just got my b52 bomber and i LOVE IT

My question is, Where do you put your bikes? In the house,Garage? Wifey does not want me to keep it in the house :? I Live in dubai so it is kinda hot outside.

Welcome to the club Deemos. I keep my bikes in the garage, except during the coldest months here, which is December, January, and February, I keep them in my house do the freezing temps. I have been to Dubai, you don't have to worry about the winter temps there so the garage will be fine. I know you guys get up to 120+F in the summer, keep the bike in the shade and you will be fine.

Ok so few things i wanted to ask.

I had to limit the speed to 25km lol...This thing is so fast that i get kinda scared but after riding it yesterday I want to get more speed, this bike is really insane and its very comfortable as well. I am only using it on streets till i get more exp with the bike and then take it offroad. wtf should i do? Is the bike stable at high speeds?

Should i upgrade the fork and suspension? Fox4 was suggested as the fork. Any other noteworthy upgrades that can be done?

Thanks for helping in advance.

deemos said:
Ok so few things i wanted to ask.

I had to limit the speed to 25km lol...This thing is so fast that i get kinda scared but after riding it yesterday I want to get more speed, this bike is really insane and its very comfortable as well. I am only using it on streets till i get more exp with the bike and then take it offroad. wtf should i do? Is the bike stable at high speeds?

Should i upgrade the fork and suspension? Fox4 was suggested as the fork. Any other noteworthy upgrades that can be done?

Thanks for helping in advance.

The DNM USD8 fork that comes on the Stealth Ebikes now is a great fork. Its a little heavier than the Fox 4, but we are riding ebikes with big hub motors and battery so grams counting is not a major benefit. The best thing to do is set up the bike for the rider's weight. The shock and fork can be adjusted for a 20-25 pound weight difference. What I mean is, the new bikes I have test ridden are set up for some one about 190-200 pounds. Clicks and adjustments can be made for the bike to work for a 180 pound person and up to a 210-215 pound rider. If the rider's body weight is outside of the parameters, the suspension will still work, but it won't be as optimal. This is not an issue you should be concerned with right now, but as your skillz 8) improve, you ill benefit from having the suspension set up for your rider weight.

P7 in the field. I just finished up lacing a 26MTB wheel to the motor to pick up a little mechanical advantage over the 27.5. It works great. At first, I thought the P7 may be my new favorite Stealth bike because It was new to me. Not the case though. Its my favorite Stealth Bike. It wont touch the Bomber and Fighter in terms of performance, but it beats them in the handling department due to being alot lighter. What I don't understand is, it also works better than my Beta. My beta is a bit faster acceleration wise, however, it doesn't handle quite as good as the p7 either. The suntour fork is just plain awesome. I ran alot of forks in my day, I put this at the top of both single and dual crown forks in terms of stock performance. The DNM rear airshock works just as good as the Rockshox air shock I have on the Beta. In summary, Stealth nailed it with the P7.

Attachments

• p7c.jpg
    p7c.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 4,490
Theodore Voltaire said:
I now have over 7200 miles on my Bomber. The only failure it's ever suffered was a right side swing arm bearing that I replaced at about 3000 miles. That makes this the most amazingly dependable bike I've ever owned by far.

Being dependable is nice, but that's not the essence of why I love this bike so much. My 1974 Norton Commando, that I bought brand new, was the least dependable bike I've ever owned. I couldn't even ride it twice without making repairs to it, but it's always been one of my all time favorite bikes I've owned.

Factory's spend millions of dollars trying to make a great bike, and usually fail . Harley has tried, and tried to make a bike that's not a big twin, or Sportster, and so far they've failed miserably every time. Does anyone even know they're making a midsized V twin smaller then a Sportster? I've yet to even see one single one on the road.

The guy that invented Bombers was either a genius, lucky, or both, but some how Bombers are greatness. It's hard to describe why this bike is so good, or even what it takes to be a great bike, but this bike has it.

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/harley-davidson-livewire/
Think you will like it. I want it...

Harley-Davidson's First Electric Motorcycle Surprisingly Doesn't Suck
harley-04.jpg

Rix said:
P7 in the field. I just finished up lacing a 26MTB wheel to the motor to pick up a little mechanical advantage over the 27.5. It works great. At first, I thought the P7 may be my new favorite Stealth bike because It was new to me. Not the case though. Its my favorite Stealth Bike. It wont touch the Bomber and Fighter in terms of performance, but it beats them in the handling department due to being alot lighter. What I don't understand is, it also works better than my Beta. My beta is a bit faster acceleration wise, however, it doesn't handle quite as good as the p7 either. The suntour fork is just plain awesome. I ran alot of forks in my day, I put this at the top of both single and dual crown forks in terms of stock performance. The DNM rear airshock works just as good as the Rockshox air shock I have on the Beta. In summary, Stealth nailed it with the P7.

Yeah I like this frame a lot and with a single crown fork it is a totally different machine, love it!

Attachments

• IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 3,106
Everytime i see you your Beta Allex, I think what an awesome build. My builds can't touch the cleanliness of your builds, or match the power to weight ratio. I got another Alpha frame in, of course its Army green, sticking with the "Rix Theme". Still no sure which way I will go with it, but one thing is for sure, it will be a long range machine.

Thx, Rick, Beta is the best looking frame out there among others, def. my fav.
Yeah, to get the wiring clean I need to spend just as much time with it as to build the whole bike up!

Yeah, to get the wiring clean I need to spend just as much time with it as to build the whole bike up!

I am not surprised. I built the Beta and Alpha frames into rollers, which included lacing up the 4504 on the Alpha in one very long evening. Then the hard part started with making everything work, splicing wires, stuff like that. Took me way way longer.

Cowardlyduck"That will be a long range pack for sure. Do you have a battery spot welder? How are you wiring it up? Are you going to run a BMS?
Yeah, long range and about the same weight as stock also. :mrgreen:
I don't have a spot welder myself, but there's a number of fellow ES members around these parts who are very kind and have/will lend me their JP spot welder.
I'm not a fan of Battery Murdering Systems. :p I have a number of little 6S balance boards I'm playing around with atm, so I might hook those up to the balance leads, but for the most part I will just monitor cell levels periodically myself. This has worked well for me for a long time now, so I don't see a reason to change.
To get an idea of how I will build it, watch my video on the build of the 18650 pack I recently made for my recumbent
My only concern for the Fighter pack is if the realised size exceeds the anticipated size. That's why I plan on taking my time, and making sure it is as tight and compact as possible, while remaining safe, well padded and rigid.

Cheers

Hey Ducky, I can't remember, but did you originally run your Crystalyte H40xx with the Adaptto mini E on your Fighter? I only ask because I have an Alpha frame and am contemplating my next build which will be with another Adaptto Controller and possibly the H40xx or the new H55XX. We all know the TCxx/TC40xx series is not compatible, but I can't remember if the H series is or not.

Rix said:
Hey Ducky, I can't remember, but did you originally run your Crystalyte H40xx with the Adaptto mini E on your Fighter? I only ask because I have an Alpha frame and am contemplating my next build which will be with another Adaptto Controller and possibly the H40xx or the new H55XX. We all know the TCxx/TC40xx series is not compatible, but I can't remember if the H series is or not.
Yeah, the HS4080 (and 4060) work great with the Adaptto.
I personally won't be buying another motor that isn't using 0.35 laminations or less, but the HS40 does work well enough.
The only issue I had was running the 4T 4080 with my Mini-E would occasionally cause the controller to overheat. It much prefers the 5T of my Leaf motor, but if you were using a Midi-E or Max-E you would be fine.

Cheers

Back