new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

I had a 2 stroke, before going electric, so people always heard me.

My chain is slipping too, at first the chain was too short, so I put a new one on... then, too long.

I took 6 links out and it looks about right... 4 would have been better.

In the rear, big gears 1-4 do not slip; but, gears 5-8 slip on demand.

I think I might need a new cassette.

markz said:
Makita 18650-V batteries from tool pack.

Today I broke my chain a few times, stitching diff chain together on the sidewalk is unfun!
I need a longer chain then normal because of the feet forward design of the Townie.
I came up with a solution here using two 7/8/9 speed chain, full length off one bike and 4 links off another chain.

If I used 7/8/9 speed chain trying to only use one gear, she slides (without my RD being used as a tensioner)

The one speed SRAM (PC-1 with 114 links) chain is not long enough, so stitched in 7/8/9 spd links but they have different widths which I knew, but it works for babying it home being light on the takeoffs.

I need 120 link chain.

I've tested it and lots of people can hear me coming up from behind them because of the motor gears. It even scares the dogs a few times. Its a sound they are unused to hearing so I am very divided on that aspect of my Cyclone 4k. Another aspect I dislike is I get to many people asking me questions. I am unsure if I really want it as my daily rider.

Slippage is due to having too much slack.
Grinding or odd clicking is due to the chain being too tight. Mine was just trying to get chain on certain rear gear, when wheel is not in dropout, then shoving it the wheel back in place.

Been there a few times.

Multi-speed chains are OBVIOUSLY not meant to be used as 1spd, where you try to unslack chain as much as possible.

As for silence on the pathways, I prefer the silence of the direct drive motor, so I can decide what I am going to do in order to pass someone whether they are walking alone, walking with a partner, a group walking, mix a dog into that equation, another bicyclist or pair. I will sometimes whistle like I am playing a tune, use my bell, or pass in another fashion, going off pathway giving wide berth of course. Every situation is different. Its just odd the reactions that happen with the noise of the gears. DD Silence was much better for me and my needs.

I've heard that people are receiving their Cyclone Coaxial kits. Has anyone posted opinions, pictures, or videos yet?

elitesilverframe.jpg

Wow there are so many new posts. It's gonna take some time to catch up. I did see some posts about missing Cyclone 3000 mount parts. I hope you've figured it out by now that the new kits don't need those pieces. Here's a photo that was linked a few posts back. It doesn't look like the new mount needs reinforcing.

Here's a video on how to install the new brackets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G99tNdeZa0g

file.php

DingusMcGee said:
Gman

did you also order a frame? or just the motor? I think Dingus ordered the bike frame too...

G.

I ordered the elite frame with mods but they did not charge for that change.

Robocam!! Long time no see you man... how is it going? hope everything is well with you.

G.

Hi Guys,

After a little info please!

Will leaving the battery connected to the controller drain the battery over time, even if the key switch is off. On my last bike, without a switch, the controller continually drained the battery - this was OK for short periods, but once I forgot and it fully discharged the battery and puffed-up my liPo's :evil:

Definitely don't want that to happen again with this new one, but disconnecting the battery every time I leave the bike anywhere is a pain.

Many thanks

Andy

You shouldn't need to disconnect if just leaving it somewhere for a short period.

To all the people using the stock controller, are you all using that horrid soft start?

flat tire said:
You shouldn't need to disconnect if just leaving it somewhere for a short period.

To all the people using the stock controller, are you all using that horrid soft start?

What is this soft start? I've never seen it... maybe perhaps I am always running mode #3?

G.

Yes, it will eventually drain without a hard switch.

However, in both of my trikes I have the batteries connected at all times, and they can go probably go months before the voltage is critical without using any accessory power. I've gone as far as two weeks without using the trike and voltage was about the same, but using anything like lights, or other things that draw power will accelerate the drain.

G.

scoobydrew said:
Hi Guys,

After a little info please!

Will leaving the battery connected to the controller drain the battery over time, even if the key switch is off. On my last bike, without a switch, the controller continually drained the battery - this was OK for short periods, but once I forgot and it fully discharged the battery and puffed-up my liPo's :evil:

Definitely don't want that to happen again with this new one, but disconnecting the battery every time I leave the bike anywhere is a pain.

Many thanks

Andy

gman1971 said:
What is this soft start? I've never seen it... maybe perhaps I am always running mode #3?

G.

Dunno, I tried my stock controller in all 3 modes, each had soft start. It ramps up torque smoothly instead of giving you whatever you twist all at once. In other words it sucks.

flat tire said:
gman1971 said:

G.

Dunno, I tried my stock controller in all 3 modes, each had soft start. It ramps up torque smoothly instead of giving you whatever you twist all at once. In other words it sucks.

I can peg the gas and the thing goes ballistic RPM in a snap when unloaded... that's on three controllers, all running mode #3.

I have a feeling the controller isn't what sucks here...

G.

flat tire said:
gman1971 said:

G.

im with gman..it doesnt suck

I haven't been able to get into the controller yet with Bluetooth, I got Apple, would a Windows phone work or is that the oddball non-Android.

I think the disagreement stems from different opinions on what's considered "soft." There is definitely a delay or soft start. In my opinion the throttle does not react quickly enough. In fact, when I use a 44/24 crankset to a 42T on the cassette, the ramp up is so slow that I cannot wheelie. You'd think that a 24 going to a 42 in the back would produce so much torque it would wheelie in an instant, but it doesn't because the motor doesn't spin up quickly enough. I actually have to up shift to wheelie!

You can also tell the motor RPM ramps up slowly by observing its behavior unloaded (with the wheel off the ground). You can see that it clearly doesn't go full throttle instantly the way a weed whacker or nitro RC car would. In speed 3, there is even more delay reaching the top RPM.

At one point I wanted to look for a controller that did not have this soft start delay, but I've learned to just live with it. If anyone finds a controller with an instant throttle response, please let us know. It would make controlling wheelies much easier.

gman1971 said:
flat tire said:
gman1971 said:

G.

I can peg the gas and the thing goes ballistic RPM in a snap when unloaded... that's on three controllers, all running mode #3.

G.

Hi G! Thanks =) I haven't had much time to work on my new ebike recently but I should have time in about a month. Anything new with you?

gman1971 said:
Robocam!! Long time no see you man... how is it going? hope everything is well with you.

G.

robocam said:
I think the disagreement stems from different opinions on what's considered "soft." There is definitely a delay or soft start. In my opinion the throttle does not react quickly enough. In fact, when I use a 44/24 crankset to a 42T on the cassette, the ramp up is so slow that I cannot wheelie. You'd think that a 24 going to a 42 in the back would produce so much torque it would wheelie in an instant, but it doesn't because the motor doesn't spin up quickly enough. I actually have to up shift to wheelie!

You can also tell the motor RPM ramps up slowly by observing its behavior unloaded (with the wheel off the ground). You can see that it clearly doesn't go full throttle instantly the way a weed whacker or nitro RC car would. In speed 3, there is even more delay reaching the top RPM.

At one point I wanted to look for a controller that did not have this soft start delay, but I've learned to just live with it. If anyone finds a controller with an instant throttle response, please let us know. It would make controlling wheelies much easier.
That is exactly the behavior mine had, in all 3 modes. My sensored powervelocity controller removed the soft start (it's an option but I turned it off) but sucks in other ways cuz it can't handle the noise from the motor. I'm getting a sensorless from him but don't have it yet. A lyen controller will also remove the soft start. The stock controller can probably be reprogrammed to remove the soft start but you'd need to solder the programming wires (easy) and figure out what software to use (???)

gman1971 said:

G.
Yeah, apparently it's your notion of what is and isn't a soft start. Or the controllers have different firmware or settings from Luna. See above; I'm not the only one whose controller had a soft start.

flat tire said:
robocam said:

That is exactly the behavior mine had, in all 3 modes. My sensored powervelocity controller removed the soft start (it's an option but I turned it off) but sucks in other ways cuz it can't handle the noise from the motor. I'm getting a sensorless from him but don't have it yet. A lyen controller will also remove the soft start. The stock controller can probably be reprogrammed to remove the soft start but you'd need to solder the programming wires (easy) and figure out what software to use (???)

gman1971 said:

G.
Yeah, apparently it's your notion of what is and isn't a soft start. Or the controllers have different firmware or settings from Luna. See above; I'm not the only one whose controller had a soft start.

Whats your voltage? The controller is rated at 40A and can be shunted much higher. Thats all the fast start you need

No, it has nothing to do with whatever power level you're running, it has to do with the power being ramped up. I can enable "soft start" on my hubmotor running 200 amps phase and it will have the exact same problem.

Decided to change the post, and no, no moderators contacted me to do so, spinningmagnets didn't ask me.

In the it sucks matter; a better wording would be it doesn't work for my application.

G.

robocam said:
Hi G! Thanks =) I haven't had much time to work on my new ebike recently but I should have time in about a month. Anything new with you?

gman1971 said:

G.

Hey Rob, nothing really new; speaking for the new eBike, whats the plan for it? I too had a long break due to other family reasons so I know what it is not being able to work on anything for a while. :)

How did the thread of the current and torque went on the Facebook E-S?

G.

Hey O.G. Gman,

Does eB-1C bike, have a chain tensioner on it?

My chain pops off at gear 5-8.

I am thinking about making a trike... but with 4-5 wheels if you give me the O.K.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-05-09-59-10.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-05-09-59-10.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 2,338
GIGATT said:
Hey O.G. Gman,

Does eB-1C bike, have a chain tensioner on it?

My chain pops off at gear 5-8.

I am thinking about making a trike... but with 4-5 wheels if you give me the O.K.

Hey, all my eBikes and trikes have a chain tensioner for the motor, all also have derailleurs too, chains are tensioned otherwise they would fall off.

4 wheels is a quad, trike has three wheels only... with 5 wheels? never heard of such a vehicle.

G.

ebike11 said:
@ Gman...are u using any special higher quality chain tensioner or just cyclone stock ones?

Stock cyclone tensioner on all my EVs. If your chain is coming off you might be having the motor mount flex and cause the chain derails.

G.

gman1971 said:
ebike11 said:
@ Gman...are u using any special higher quality chain tensioner or just cyclone stock ones?

Stock cyclone tensioner on all my EVs. If your chain is coming off you might be having the motor mount flex and cause the chain derails.

G.

BINGO... I think that's it... (I feel like I owe u PayPal money).

I forgot to reinforce my motor mount once everything else was working. Too much fun distracted me.

I have a trailer so it's normally 3 wheels but if I get jiggy with it and add training wheels, that would make 5, if they count...

I got the speed wobbles today... pulling a high center of gravity trailer with 24 lbs of water and 24 lbs of batteries..bananas Bread etc.

(I calculated that I would get the wobbles .. I'm not THAT dumb)

The wobbles are fun when one does not crash. ... I didn't crash I assume training wheels would have helped. I ALWAYS wanted a trike since I knew they existed. But would rather save money, space, hop curbs and look extra interesting with training wheels.. oh and plus my two stroke is still attatched so I might hook that up.

SMH

No need for paypal money man, but thanks for the thought.

Do the Robocam motor mount mod, (explained in this thread) its easy to do and should get the motor to hold a lot of power without flexing.

If you want to make a trike out a bicycle you can use something like this:
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/trike-parts/hollow-hub-trike-conversion-kit.html

There are lots of things like that all over the place for much cheaper, just look for "bicycle to trike conversion kit"

G.

GIGATT said:
gman1971 said:
ebike11 said:

G.

BINGO... I think that's it... (I feel like I owe u PayPal money).

I forgot to reinforce my motor mount once everything else was working. Too much fun distracted me.

I have a trailer so it's normally 3 wheels but if I get jiggy with it and add training wheels, that would make 5, if they count...

I got the speed wobbles today... pulling a high center of gravity trailer with 24 lbs of water and 24 lbs of batteries..bananas Bread etc.

(I calculated that I would get the wobbles .. I'm not THAT dumb)

The wobbles are fun when one does not crash. ... I didn't crash I assume training wheels would have helped. I ALWAYS wanted a trike since I knew they existed. But would rather save money, space, hop curbs and look extra interesting with training wheels.. oh and plus my two stroke is still attatched so I might hook that up.

SMH

Back