Schwinn stingray hub to controller wiring

I cracked it open and found a big blue green yellow and a small blue green yellow black red and the yellow wire is broken

Attachments

• 20171031_194627.jpg
    20171031_194627.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,307
Ah, then it was probably a repair job (incomplete?) by a previous owner giving the new wire colors outside the hub.

If I understand correctly, the yellow phase wire does not have any wire that goes outside the hub now?

Only the blue and green do?

Do all five of the smaller hall wires (power red, ground black, and yellow green blue halls) go all the way from inside to outside the motor?

If any of the wires don't go all the way from inside to outside, you'll need to replace the wire that's broken, and possibly other wires.

How long are the phase (and hall) wires on your controller? If they are long enough, you may be able to cut a couple of feet off and use it to replace that inside the motor. (probably they are not nearly that long though). If they're not long enough for this, you may have other sources of wire you can reuse, or you can order wire by the foot from various places (I think http://ebikes.ca carries some).

It can be important that the phase wires be at least as large a gauge outside the motor as they are inside, and preferably all three the same gauge of wire.

Back to the drawing board. Thank you for the tip. I got out a soldering iron and replaced the 3 big wires with 3 equal sized wires and re connected the broken wire inside. I think everything inside is ok now. I never would have solved the issue by just looking at the external wires. Like I said, I don't even know what I don't know.

I started with a Schwinn Manta ray 2005, added an electric chopper motorized wheel I bought online. The battery arrived and I am waiting for the controller from China. Then comes wiring and attaching things to the bike.

I will need to figure out a new brake system. The Manta ray only used coaster brakes on the back wheel.

Lots of fun, So far. so good

Parts on order:

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,296
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,296
  • s-l1600g.jpg
    s-l1600g.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,296
What probably happened is at some point the axle nuts got loose and spun, ripping out all the wires. You should be able to match the wires inside the motor to your controller much easier now, but don't expect that matching green-green, yellow-yellow, etc. will work, though I would try that first. You may need to swap around colors to get the right direction and phase matching. There are some topics here on finding the right hall/phase mapping. Seems every company does it differently.

I like the throttle with the voltmeter and key. Where did you find that?

ebay different colors are available too
https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Bike-electric-scooter-Throttle-with-Key-Digital-Display-24-volt-U-S-SELLER/222627137336?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

whatparthurts said:
ebay different colors are available too
https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Bike-electric-scooter-Throttle-with-Key-Digital-Display-24-volt-U-S-SELLER/222627137336?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

OK, thanks. I found they had one that can go up to 80v:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/eBike-Electric-Scooter-Throttle-w-Key-Switch-Battery-Level-48V-US-SELLER-/222627137255?hash=item33d59c86e7

I bought the OCC ananda motor by itself, I ordered the rest of the stuff to make an electric bike on ebay. It is on its way from China.

I have to build a wiring loom for this bike and I have a few questions. Somethings I just don't know and I would like to do right.

1st of all:, the throttle has 5 wires, I think 3 for throttle and 2 for a key switch. Where do the key switch wires hook in at?

From the throttle manufacturer:
Three wires (Red=5V from controller, Black=ground, Green=5v signal back to controller) provide standard throttle function.(does not need the yellow wire hooked up as you may have had to before)
Two additional wires (Yellow and Blue) are a switched 24v and provide the level for the LEDs.Which would hook up to your on/off switch or Power Locks..

The LED meter has a yellow switch wire. Should it be connected to the key switch on the throttle? and where would the other wire on the key switch tie in?

And 2nd, The electric schwinn occ bike this wheel came from had a tube fuse. Where do I install the fuse?

3rdly, What is EABS stand for and what does it do?

I cut the wiring diagram in half so it can be readable in a small frame.

The first half drawing has been edited at the LCD meter connections. Thank you d8veh, I see the error, hopefully this works better

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,244
  • 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,232
  • s-l1600g.jpg
    s-l1600g.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 1,231
  • 21trfdeCXVL._AA300_.jpg
    21trfdeCXVL._AA300_.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,231
That's standard ebike wiring that you find on many Chinese ebikes; however, something doesn't look right to me. It may be a translation issue. I'm pretty sure that the notations on the LED panel is wrong. Every one that I've ever dealt with has been:
Red = battery voltage
Black = ground
Green = signal wire for PAS and 6km/h modes
Other colour often blue, but can be anything = switched battery voltage to power the controller.

If you could edit that picture with a warning about that, it might save people from wiping out their controlers when they get it wrong.

I found this information online. Looks useful. It is the wire connections for a throttle with key switch

Attachments

• dfdgggfsf.jpg
    dfdgggfsf.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,223
Turns out d8veh was right about the mis labeled connector, I edited in the change as suggested. I also ditched the relay. I looked over the wiring diagram and cut in the key switch at the power up switch. 223.jpg333 (1).jpg

Bike runs good now, I can't help it, I have to try this battery, Just waiting for more ordered parts. I guess I caught the ebike bug. Like I saw on one post here, Don't stop fixing it until it's broke...LOLbattery1.jpg

d8veh said:
That's standard ebike wiring that you find on many Chinese ebikes; however, "something doesn't look right" to me. It may be a translation issue. I'm pretty sure that the notations on the LED panel is wrong. Every one that I've ever dealt with has been:
Red = battery voltage
Black = ground
Green = signal wire for PAS and 6km/h modes
Other colour often blue, but can be anything = switched battery voltage to power the controller.

If you could edit that picture with a warning about that, it might save people from wiping out their controlers when they get it wrong.
"something doesn't look right" I contacted the e bay controller seller and showed them your recommended changes, If you look at the item now, the wiring is correct. d8veh saves the e bike world from mis information

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 831
Hello,

Who could tell me where to find the engine, cables, display and all the hardware + how to setup it to replace the old one ?

Thanks in advance.

Is your system the exact same one this thread is about? If so, you could follow the same path as in this thread, including the wiring, since it worked for the person making the bike in this thread.

If not, I can move your post to it's own thread, so we can help you figure out what you have and what you need to do the job you want it to do under the riding conditions you have.

You'll need to post those details, though.

Back