Amsterdam has Beer Bikes - who knew?!

RTIII

1 kW
...I was reading a BBC article on the web and this caught my eye:

_98566836_beerbikesnew.jpg

Looks like it sports 12 seated pedalers and at least three seated freeloaders, though the driver may not be so much free loading as just freed from having to pedal!

If I were managing the design, construction, and operation of such a "bike", I'd make it an EV, of course! Each pedaler can pedal to their heart's content and be effectively charging the battery instead of mechanically driving the wheels... I wonder how they actually do it?!

SlowCo said:
Not anymore, they just got banned as of 1 November (today) in Amsterdam...

...What I read - an English version - was that they were only banned from the city center; they're still permitted elsewhere.

I would presume that the vehicle is rented and that the driver is NOT permitted to be drinking! So, I'd think battery storage of the pedalers energy would be wise since it would be consistent - wouldn't want to get into an intersection and have the drunken sailors give up rowing at the wrong moment!

I can well imagine the complaints! :lol:

RTIII said:
...What I read - an English version - was that they were only banned from the city center; they're still permitted elsewhere.

I can well imagine the complaints! :lol:

Correct. They are being banned from the city center as they are a nuisance but can be ridden elsewhere.

RTIII said:
Looks like it sports 12 seated pedalers and at least three seated freeloaders, though the driver may not be so much free loading as just freed from having to pedal!
They have those down here in San Diego. No drinking while riding, but you can do tours to bars and drink while parked.
I wonder how they actually do it?!
Pedalers all drive two jackshafts. The jackshafts are chain coupled to a differential at the rear wheels. Looks like the differential from a light pickup truck.

At least one that I've seen has an EV motor attached as well - "for backing up only" according to the guy, but it looks like it will work in both directions.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41830304?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Sorry if I missed it posted.

[youtube]GMw0DhvsgtU[/youtube]
Not just amsterdam..... My country has them in some cities. I think many countries in Europe have them. I dunno if they are also banned here right now.

Back