Cyclist spits at me and makes a buzzing noise !

speedmd said:
the other day one caught up to me to tell me I was cheating

Does not sound like your rig is much faster. :lol:

For all my ebike friends, please don't be such snow flakes.... at least offer to do some motor pacing. I would love it on most of my training rides. The amount I ride, I am always looking for some motivation to mix up the routine and add some speed work to the mix. Welcome it 100%. Bridge the divide and adopt a more welcome stance to cycling rule 5! 8)

I'm commuting. I'll come to near stops at stop signs and will actually stop at stop lights. Oh the horror. :shock: Few roadies will stand for that.

Any cyclist is welcome to hang on my wheel if they like. Be my guest. Any person on a bicycle starts off with a +1 evaluation in my book. Only their poor behavior will cause me to think less of them.

Any person on a bicycle starts off with a +1 evaluation in my book
+1 Good words to ride by. You capture what is all right in the first part of the cycling rules. :lol:

Rule #1 //Obey The Rules.

Rule #2 // Lead by example.
It is forbidden for someone familiar with The Rules to knowingly assist another person to breach them.

Rule #3 // Guide the uninitiated.
No matter how good you think your reason is to knowingly breach The Rules, it is never good enough.

Rule #4 // It’s all about the bike.
It is, absolutely, without question, unequivocally, about the bike. Anyone who says otherwise is obviously a twatwaffle

I'll never mention the word "peloton", its a match in hay stack. I'd like to think I create the leading edge for the peloton :) yeh must be the hotter weather setting them off, those strava times are getting harder to set as the heat rolls in. Mate at work wants me to yell out strava as I pass a group of roadies, I said you do it I'll film and bring a mop. Would get a good amount of hits on YouTube :) all jokes aside, I hope I don't see this guy again.

markz said:
Jestronix said:
I hope I don't see this guy again.
Why?

I think it would be great to come up with a plan and just mess with the bloke!

Sure. Like you could Taze him and then stand over his quivering body making a "zzzzzzzz" noise.
Too far?? Yeah probably. :twisted:

Was thinking more like copying what he did, or just ride circles around him, or giver up the hill with your feet out to the sides then wait for him at the top of the hill and spit on the ground and make a buzzing noise.

There was a car guy that pulled out from a side street that deliberately came in too close to me as he entered the same lane, at the next set of lights I questioned his reason for this asking what his problem was, there was this typical overweight young guy in an overweight car, smokes in the console and he just got really nervous looking at me and the lights then he took off in a rush, he had no answer to not liking me on my odd machine, to him

wturber said:
markz wrote:

Jestronix wrote:
I hope I don't see this guy again.

Why?

I think it would be great to come up with a plan and just mess with the bloke!

markz said:
I would have rode and stopped in front of him, taking the lane. I sometimes do that.

He was stopped on the white line but I wanted to get some reason for his action but pulling up on his drivers side and taking his keys would have got a good reaction

Gotta say that most of my encounters on the e-bike with motorists have been pretty positive. There is, of course, the occasional numskull who does something stupid. But that's just the standard luck of the draw on the road. Nothing directed toward me because of the bike or e-bike.

Yesterday I had a guy in a roadie kit on a fat tire bike (training), riding with his wife on a fat tire ebike. So, he obviously couldn't have been opposed to the idea.

But, the dude was having a good old time, continuing to fly past me and my friend at 25 mph really close, while we were doing 20 on ebikes. Pretty funny actually, but he kept saying stuff that I couldn't make out. Maybe he wanted to race? I don't know. But he didn't seem all that friendly though.

hypertoric_amplituhedron said:
Maybe he wanted to race?

That is your typical roady mentality, he feels he is better than you cause he hasn't got power assist and can still kick ass, it's their massive swelling ego

Man if somebody spit at me, it would get real ugly for the person.

zro-1: that path project is great except we can't move more than around 10mph safely, absolute nightmare of mixed traffic! Fun place to cruise but the adrenaline comes from avoiding injuring some poor ambulatory who cut sideways to examine the artwork arranged on the roadside.

I've been commuting across Atlanta for 3 years now on a DIY commuter and have some interesting run ins... Mostly with drivers who cannot stand to be behind any sort of bike regardless of the speed traveled or the amount of distance remaining to a traffic light or stop sign. I've been "passed" with 50 ft to go to a stop sign and forced off the road as they took my lane... Atlanta drivers are generally considerate but for gods sake don't get in the way.

The real issue for me is that the frustration and anger builds up with each successive event, and eventually I may be cited or shot as a lunatic raving against some idiot for endangering my life one too many times.

Never had anything but a friendly wave from riders, and good to see the ebike community grow in our town.

I never thought it would be a problem riding with others, but I noticed since commuting it seems the Lycra crowd really have to prove a point about going faster than me, I sit around (40-45km/h) along the bicycle paths which are mostly big massive straights that run adjacent the motorways

Cant peddle any faster due to my gearing
I nearly feel like putting a bigger motor on... at times :D

today a cyclist flew past me and I was doing 46 km/h on a slight down hill
maybe the pro's or something train on the same path lol

my setup is a q128c 500w

I was recently passed by a lycra while I was climbing uphill on a fairly steep (10%) uphill section of dirt trail. I was quite surprised as usually I don't get passed on the uphill parts. At least he didn't spit at me or make buzzing sounds.

had that 150W geared tube motor

Most of the serious guys I know have on board telemetry now days, that records heart rate and power meter data. No way to fool the left crank arm power meter data without it correlating with a reduced heart rate vs trail slope-speed norms. Folks not willing to post their performance files on strava or other such system is another thing all together. All this cheating speculation could be stopped immediately by mandatory publication of such telemetry during regional qualifiers and races. BTW, most top pro teams will not share this data. :roll:

Got called a "cheater" by a road bike rider for the first time ever on my commute home this evening.

I was riding home and rolling to a stop at a stop sign. There were cars at the four-way stop. One was there before me, so I'm not rolling this stop. As I was rolling up, I saw group of 4-5 roadies turning right from the intersecting road to head up the same direction on the road I was riding. I let the car to my right proceed, checked the other cars and started to go through. But oops. There was a huge (30-40 rider) peloton that hit the intersection 50-75 yards behind that first group. And they just continued on through - freezing all of the traffic already stopped. Never mind that we were there first.

After letting the car to my right proceed, I went on through thinking what a pain it was going to be with maybe 40-50 riders in front of me and a hill to climb. I crossed my fingers that they'd turn at the next intersection. No such luck.

I easily caught up to the back of this peloton and watched as they they all ran the next stop sign (with cars waiting). The peloton acted as though it was one huge (and slow) single vehicle. Everybody goes through. Well, everybody but me. I stopped.

The road starts to climb after this intersection and I was curious about how fast these riders were going to be in climbing it. This was a divided road with one lane each direction and a nice bike lane. (Via Linda heading east after 136th street in Scottsdale, AZ if anybody wants to Google map it.) But this being a roadie peloton, they, of course, had to ride 4-5 bikes across taking up a good part of the road while going maybe 10 miles an hour. It was dusk and cars approached from behind with their headlights on. But the peloton continued to ride 4-5 abreast making it impossible for a couple cars to pass safely or at all.

As we all continued to head up the hill with me riding 20-30 feet behind the last riders in the peloton, I could see that the peloton was beginning to string out. Hills do that. My original intent was that I'd just sit back and not pass these guys. The group was too big to do that safely, I was in no particular rush and I didn't want to pass cyclists riding 4-5 across. But as they strung out, they started to mostly stay in the bike lane and there were lots of gaps. That finally allowed the cars to pass. I was beginning to get annoyed by one rider who had a super-bright blinking tail light on her bike. That light makes a lot of sense in daylight. But at dusk or at night it is almost painful to have to look at. At this point I was running out of patience with this lot, so I decided to just get home at my usual pace since I could now pass safely. And that's when it happened.

After passing about 20 riders I heard someone yell out "cheater." I smiled. Sure. I'm the cheater amongst this group of rude cyclists. I passed about 30 of them and was wondering if the ones still ahead were going to continue on into Fountain Hills, using the Hidden Hills easement and connector. If so, I had more riders to pass.

But no, they were doing a turnaround at the entrance to the Hidden Hills gated community. And, of course, they were blocking two cars from getting home by clogging up the traffic circle at the gate. "Yield the right of way" seems to be a concept that is absent with this group.

Anyway, I continued to "cheat" my way on home, glad to have this group of "up and back" non-cheaters behind me. As I continued home ... now in solitude ... I found myself wondering how many of these riders had driven their bike rack equipped cars to the starting stage of their ride. Silly me. Why should I care?

wturber said:
"Yield the right of way" seems to be a concept that is absent with this group.

Learn to distinguish between yielding the right-of-way to someone who has it, and surrendering the right-of-way to someone who thinks his supersedes yours. If you make the distinction, I think you'll find that most assertive cyclists do the former, just not the latter. If it helps, imagine the cyclist is a street sweeper or construction vehicle that goes 15mph. If his behavior makes sense in that context, then it makes sense.

In my neighborhood, it's a constant low level annoyance to negotiate with motorists who cede their proper right-of-way at 4-way stops. I appreciate their obliging gesture, but it all works better if we follow the customary procedure.

If you find a spitter, next time you see him get a chest mounted gopro in 4k to get a good view of his face and proceed to report him to the police. Repeat every time. You can't spit on people on the sidewalk, it is the same on a bike.

Back