Stealth FUTR owners builds and pics

JtHaas said:
[q

Your build is shockingly close to what I would be doing with mine so it wouldn't be too far off. Thanks Rix there's no rush for it.

Wheel base on my Beta with a 200mm travel fork and a 9" rear shock is 49 inches. Keep in mind the brand of the fork and off set on the axle drop outs will affect wheel base a little bit. my P7 has a shorter shock and fork and the wheel base is 49 5/16" inches.

That's really close to the phasor which I'll be stealing the parts from. Thanks again rix. Seems like you can really alter the geometry with subtle changes from the shock or fork.

JtHaas said:
That's really close to the phasor which I'll be stealing thw parts from. Thanks again rix. Seems like you can really alter the geometry with subtle changes from the shock or fork.

This is true, running a longer fork and shorter shock will change your head tube and seat tube angle up to 3 degrees alone. And don't get me started on adding different sized size tires such as a 24mtb in the rear and a 27.5 MTB up front. That will increase slack another 2 degrees.

Did you check every little piece of packing, they keys I have received in my FUTR frame shipments could have been confused as trash in the box.

I'll be dissecting the box a whole lot more but all I found was lost of styrofoam and bubble wrap. Nothing was taped to the bubble wrap either but to be fair I was really tired haha! It's not the end of the world if I can't find it regardless. I'll be working on it this coming week.

JtHaas said:
I'll be dissecting the box a whole lot more but all I found was lost of styrofoam and bubble wrap. Nothing was taped to the bubble wrap either but to be fair I was really tired haha! It's not the end of the world if I can't find it regardless. I'll be working on it this coming week.

Check out all the bubble wrap, I wont be surprised if the keys show up.

PRW said:
Rix, can you post a pic of what the keys look like?

The keys should come in a little bag labeled keys like the bolts and parts I believe. It's possible that they're taped to the inside of the box. It's nothing to worry about though. The frame is gorgeous and I'm sure the keys will turn up. I'll start assembling it today.

I have to go buy new shock bushings for my rockshox shock. The bushings are a 10mm diameter by 30mm while the beta ships out with 20mm shock widths. I'm not sure what I was thinking but I completely forgot this step of assembly.

First!
uc

Lolol thanks allex.No mine are definitely missing. Weren't in the box. I contacted stealth about it and they said replacement keys would be 55usd to have another ignition switch so I'll just be using my own. I'll 3d print a new key cover or something :)

JtHaas said:
...they said replacement keys would be 55usd to have another ignition switch...

:shock: $55 for a replacement switch that from Alex's pic certainly looks like a common generic motorcycle keyswitch that I get for $5-6 . Did they slip a digit or something? I thought only the big bicycle and car manufacturers did stuff like that.

John in CR said:
JtHaas said:

:shock: $55 for a replacement switch that from Alex's pic certainly looks like a common generic motorcycle keyswitch that I get for $5-6 . Did they slip a digit or something? I thought only the big bicycle and car manufacturers did stuff like that.

I imagine it costs more to mail this item than what it costs. I mailed an axle to Australia a while back, $42 dollars in a United States Postal Service envelope.

John in CR said:
JtHaas said:

Haha! I don't hold it against them at all. Shipping is expensive (40$ish) and you're right they do sell online for about 8$ shipped.

But a another question now. The brackets that hold the swingarm scare the shit out of me. I know stealth has been using that design for a good while but has anyone had any issues with strength or reliability from the four little bolts holding the rear wheel on?
Loctite and torqued down really tight or what should I do here...

In other news though all I need are the shock bushings and the bike will be ready to assemble. All my electronics have been sorted out and the battery fits in the frame perfectly. I've got the same battery build rix has but with smaller batteries :) (fits in my frame without batting an eye)
I'm going to try and keep this build light as possible.
Everything from the CA to the controller wires fits nice and snug in here. I just need a rolling frame assembled before I start putting everything in as I will be running all the cables through the frame down the hole the previous ignition switch lived. I like integrated cables :D

Attachments

• IMG_2708.JPG
    IMG_2708.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,048
Maxxis holy rollers 26 x 2.4 will not fit in the rear beta swingarm :pancake:
Oh well, nothing lost here. Ill leave the front tires at 2.4 and fit a 2.3 in the rear.

Had you said $15 plus shipping I wouldn't have had an issue. It does look like a standard cheapie moto keyswitch, so buying locally is the way to go.

Sorry that I just have a real problem with way overpriced electric stuff. Ebikes are the most efficient form of personal transport as long as greed doesn't get in the way. Now that there are a good number of bike manufacturers putting out products in the same high price range as Stealth, there's little doubt that Chinese companies will come out with high performance E-MTB's in what to me is a fair price range. ie Since common autos sell at $1k or less markups, the small amount of raw materials and much simpler and more durable parts means top of the line ebikes need to be retailing at $3k or less, and shame on cyclists who are accustomed to ripoff pricing to accept higher prices than that, regardless of whether they already paid more for just a pedal frame. Ebikes should be priced for the masses.

JtHaas said:
Oh well, nothing lost here. Ill leave the front tires at 2.4 and fit a 2.3 in the rear.

Are you sure about that?

Attachments

• Maxxis 26x2.40.jpg
    Maxxis 26x2.40.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 2,026
John in CR said:
Had you said $15 plus shipping I wouldn't have had an issue. It does look like a standard cheapie moto keyswitch, so buying locally is the way to go.

Sorry that I just have a real problem with way overpriced electric stuff. Ebikes are the most efficient form of personal transport as long as greed doesn't get in the way. Now that there are a good number of bike manufacturers putting out products in the same high price range as Stealth, there's little doubt that Chinese companies will come out with high performance E-MTB's in what to me is a fair price range. ie Since common autos sell at $1k or less markups, the small amount of raw materials and much simpler and more durable parts means top of the line ebikes need to be retailing at $3k or less, and shame on cyclists who are accustomed to ripoff pricing to accept higher prices than that, regardless of whether they already paid more for just a pedal frame. Ebikes should be priced for the masses.

Hey John, I hope you weren't apologizing on behalf of my response, I have no probs with legends such as yourself wanting more friendly priced parts. If great quality ebikes could be made more affordable for the masses, we would probably have more access to trails and riding areas in general. That would be a win for sure.

Rix said:
JtHaas said:

Are you sure about that?

Yeah. I'll take a picture of mine later today. Maybe I got the beta for toddlers version lol. With my wide ass surly rims the holy rollers rub on the beta swingarm.

I might have to rebuild the wheel with a smaller rim.
Just checked the tire and even though it says 2.4 it measures 2.5 inches :) it might fit with a perfectly true rim (+-2mm) but I'll drop down an inch or so when I go buy new tires to be on the safe side anyways.

JtHaas said:
Yeah. I'll take a picture of mine later today. Maybe I got the beta for toddlers version lol. With my wide ass surly rims the holy rollers rub on the beta swingarm.

I might have to rebuild the wheel with a smaller rim.
Just checked the tire and even though it says 2.4 it measures 2.5 inches :) it might fit with a perfectly true rim (+-2mm) but I'll drop down an inch or so when I go buy new tires to be on the safe side anyways.

A wider rim will cause a tire to spread out more, I didn't consider this when I posted my pic and questioned your comment. As you can tell, my rim is a MTX 39mm wide rim. Its not narrow by any means, but its not a plus size or fat tire rim either. When I laced my rim, I had to dish it to the drive side by 5mm to get perfect alignment. I only have about 2mm of clearance between the tire and swing arm on each side now.

So I am getting closer to (finally) putting together my Alpha. I'm leaning towards an 18" MC rim I might be able to get from a fellow ES member.
I've done some searching and there seems to be some reasonably priced Shinko SR 241 available in 18" in 350-18 size.

The question I have is, will a 3.5" wide tyre fit the rear swing-arm of the Alpha? Would the rim width effect this?

What is the widest tyre that will fit?

Cheers

Back