Calling all Bay Area ebike riders

Use this forum to post up events, rally, conventions, get-together, etc. for anything related to the e-vehicle world (e-bike, car, motorcycle, etc). Guest may post replies to topics without the need to register. All topics here expire after 1 year of inactivity.
Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Re: Calling all Bay Area ebike riders

Post by Alan B » Aug 24, 2015 6:35 pm

The cruzbike was originally made from a mountain bike, and it has a reputation for outclimbing other recumbents, so I would guess it would be okay on single track, if the rider was experienced with the steering.

quuxman
100 W
100 W

Post by quuxman » Aug 25, 2015 3:54 am

adamcooks wrote:How does the recumbent handle single track?
I've taken it on a fair number of trails. It gets good traction with all wheel drive and 2" tires, and is very maneuverable. Naturally, anywhere jumping a wheel is required (like a rock or root bigger than 8 inches) I simply put my feet down and lift the front wheel over, then the rear wheel rolls over pretty much anything.

I shouldn't expect any single track on this ride though, right? Although some fire roads in this area I've ridden on (like east side of Tamalpais) are significantly worse than most of the single track I've ridden on. I would guess the fire road that's mentioned is decent, or it wouldn't be in the route.

HamsterPower
10 mW
10 mW

Post by HamsterPower » Jan 08, 2016 6:45 am

Even though I've a few limitations, please keep me up to date.

The downsides:
I've not converted my commuter, on-road trike yet but my signature should show current status
It's a trike so other than driving it, I don't have a way to transport it
I expect my range to be limited by battery capacity so my limit will likely be about a 15 mile radius from Cupertino

The upsides:
Should be able to get there in 20 mins regardless of traffic
Should arrive with a nice grin
First ever ebike build. Currently sourcing on-road commuter e-bike drive for 26" rear tadpole trike, goal is 40mph sustained- likely build:
Tangent Ascent w/Astro Flight 3210 & CA
2WD Adaptto & Leaf 1500
Bafang BBSHD

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Jan 08, 2016 11:42 am

Im a bay area rider.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

tightbox
10 mW
10 mW

Post by tightbox » Jan 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Bay area rider as well. Latest build is a Tangent, but have about 7 others in various states of (dis)repair. 7 mi. daily commute in the MV area.

jut
1 mW
1 mW

Post by jut » Apr 07, 2016 2:13 am

+1 bay area rider. I'm near mountain view.

Would be great to map out the bay area riders. Equally awesome would be a shared garage / lab space with shared tools (e.g tab welder!)

overvolted
100 µW
100 µW

Post by overvolted » Jul 28, 2016 8:48 pm

jut wrote:Equally awesome would be a shared garage / lab space with shared tools (e.g tab welder!)
+1 on the spot/tab welder. I took apart a power bank (just 4 18650 cells and a few USB ports for charging phones) last night and balanced the cells and had to jury-rig the nickel tabs back on to the battery terminals. A spot welder would be a game-changer! I'd be willing to throw down a few bucks for a community spot welder. I'm up in SF.

PRW
10 kW
10 kW

Post by PRW » Jul 28, 2016 9:06 pm

does anyone know of anyone who does electrical repairs in the Bay Area?

quuxman
100 W
100 W

Post by quuxman » Aug 06, 2016 12:17 am

PRW wrote:does anyone know of anyone who does electrical repairs in the Bay Area?
I live in Oakland, and have soldering iron, some spare parts, and some experience working on ebikes... so yes?

PRW
10 kW
10 kW

Post by PRW » Aug 06, 2016 1:45 pm

quuxman wrote:
PRW wrote:does anyone know of anyone who does electrical repairs in the Bay Area?
I live in Oakland, and have soldering iron, some spare parts, and some experience working on ebikes... so yes?
Thanks quuxman - I have dropped the bike off with a guy in Santa Cruz, although he didn't look too optimistic! I will certainly let you know if I have no joy, thanks for the offer

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Nov 18, 2017 1:39 pm

It's been awfully quiet here lately...

fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Post by fechter » Nov 19, 2017 10:23 pm

We should organize an event. Problem is I just haven't had any spare time lately. I'm lucky if I can ride for an hour on the weekend. Now the rainy season is upon us, but today conditions were close to ideal. No mud, no dust, no heat.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Nov 20, 2017 12:04 am

I totally understand. Have been busy also.

Would be good to have an event now and then.

arthurtuxedo
10 W
10 W

Post by arthurtuxedo » Nov 22, 2017 5:14 pm

I am in the Mission in SF and would be game for a ride or event, although I might not be able to keep up with my puny 700W front hub :)

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Nov 22, 2017 9:49 pm

My experience with the rides we have done is that we go slower as a group, it is not a race. It is fun to meet folks and visit, and see what they have created, and see the route picked for the ride. There some questions about the suitability of the bike for the ride, I wouldn't take my commuting machine on a dirt ride, for example. It would probably work ok, but it is rather heavy and looks out of place on a bike trail. On the pavement, anything goes. Just depends on where the ride will take us.

Tony01
100 mW
100 mW

Post by Tony01 » Nov 29, 2017 11:08 pm

Hey can I ride with you guys?!

I'm saving for an ebike... Currently building another gas bike to sell and restoring a vintage schwinn road bike that MAY or may not get a hub motor.

I want to convert this build to electric:
I don't always listen to Alice in Chains.... but when I do, SO DO THE NEIGHBORS :D
60mph 2-speed Schwinn

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Nov 30, 2017 2:03 am

That will make a nice ebike.

Welcome to ES.

One way you could guarantee that you could go on the ride is for you to organize it. :)

At the moment we don't seem to have a ride organized. Everyone is so busy it is easy to want one, but hard to make it work.

Depending on where the ride route goes, would determine what was allowed (and what would make sense).