Andrew's NYX carbon frame + cromotor. full fat build log

nickjs said:
Awesome build ! Wish I still lived in S.Wales got some of the best trails around !
I like what you did with the thermomplastic to protect the controller from mud and spray , do you have a link for where I can buy the stuff?

Thanks

I am rattling my brain to remember what its called. I will,have a dig around and see if it comes back to me. Sorry i cannot help more, if i remeber i'll post it up.

Beautiful build. Smart rear tire choice, it's going to out grip and climb anything bicycle.

liveforphysics said:
Beautiful build. Smart rear tire choice, it's going to out grip and climb anything bicycle.

Yeah, i ended up ditching the 3.5 trials tyre as it tipped the scale too much for me and went for a cheng shin 183a 3" mx tyre instead. The bike is now quite well balanced with the mx front tyre too. I recommend you try a front mx tyre... More weight yes, but more noticable grip and confidence and more balanced.

Hey
To bad all your pics are not visible anymore.

What headset did you use for the nyx?
I have a 1/8 fork and that pic of the headset on the nyx site makes me crazy.

So... Go to endless sphere and ask a NYX owner :p

brumbrum said:

Just waiting for a headset now for the rest of the build.

Next, to test the motor and controller and wire combos.

Hey Merlin, the headset is a cane creek, i cannot remember the exact size as NYX supplied it when i bought the frame as i was worried about not being able to purchase the correct size cups. It was expensive.... I remember that! To be honest, i am not sure exactly which part of the headset you mean. I will try and update some photos later today.

cane creek 40 zs series i believe.
i suspect it may not be easy to get another cheaper compatible type from memory.

ridethelightning said:
cane creek 40 zs series i believe.
i suspect it may not be easy to get another cheaper compatible type from memory.

Haah, cheers for that.

Gutted all my photos on this thread wont show due to photbucket holding people to ransom :evil:

st35326 said:
Cant see any of this stellar build because of photo bucket garbage.

I'm so sorry. I am in the process of copying the photos to a hard disk as many only exist on my photobuxket account.

Quokka said:
Hey andrew, did you track down where to get replacenment bushes for the swing arm from? One of mine has grown legs

I had to get them straight from Eloi at NYX in Canada. His english is not very good so keep the email short and simple (unless you write good french).

He will need a couple of measuremnts from you best taken with a vernier. He will send you a diagram of what to measure. The bushes themselves were about $30usd a pair, but shipping to the U.K was $40 :roll:

This is the email address he used to communicate.. info@nyxbikes.com

It maybe worth considering somewhere more local to machine one the same dimensions as the one you still have if it fits both bottom brackets and swingarms snuggly. It needs to be made out of 'Delrin' - this is a trade name, it comes other generic names.

interessting...another set of bushings. at this kind of "using" those delrin bushings should last years.
probably swingarm is also not in the right angle.
maybe i should post my "nyx experience" on the sphere. still pissed and doesnt want to "invest" time to this "experience"....

Merlin said:
interessting...another set of bushings. at this kind of "using" those delrin bushings should last years.
probably swingarm is also not in the right angle.
maybe i should post my "nyx experience" on the sphere. still pissed and doesnt want to "invest" time to this "experience"....

Mine were very tight when new, infact they stopped the rear suspension from working properly. Eventually they loosened and then there was play in the swingarms as they became unevenly worn. I agree Merlin, if the geomwtry of the frame and swingarm is correct the bushes should last years and wear eveningly.

I have tried to put up some photos from the thread since photobucket has let down the the entire internet across the world

15i1edl.jpg

1pgzy9.jpg

25us39s.jpg

29mkuw9.jpg

291bxc6.jpg

2059gg2.jpg

2ekrjvp.jpg

209lxxj.jpg

x114iv.jpg

2hh1y4m.jpg

bzomt.jpg

16bzwbk.jpg

rm8thh.jpg

359e0ki.jpg

15nul5j.jpg

8x3mdk.jpg

11j143r.jpg

2howmtv.jpg

Merlin said:
your swingarm looks way better then my ;D
i forgot, why did you cut out the rear end of your dropouts?!

The cromotor design would not leave enough clearance for both disc rotor and wire harness. The wire harness had to pass through the swingarm dropout rather than fit between the inside of swingarm and motor cover

tahitiboob said:
:shock: beautiful bike your tire is very large

What is your speed limit?
At one point I did try a trials bike rear tyre which was 3.5” wide and could be used at very low pressure 6psi as it was a radial construction with very strong side walls. But the big downfall was weight, it weighed 5kg so I remov d it and went back to a cheap 3” mx tyre.
I limitmyspeed to about 45-50mph depending on weather. If I crank everything up on the adaptto controller and have a long enough stretch it will do 60on a full charge,but that’s too fast off road.

Back