New Tesla Roadster amazing 1.9 seconds 0-60 and semi 5 seconds 0-60!

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

I assume that most of you have already heard about the new Tesla Roadster, but you might not have seen any of the videos by people getting rides. This video by the creator of dragtimes gives an excellent idea the experience.

https://youtu.be/izhYXO9wKz0

Some specs:
0-100 4.2 seconds
Quarter mile 8.9 seconds
Top speed over 250 mph
Wheel torque 10,000 Nm
Three motor (two rear one front) AWD
Range 620 miles
Pack size 200 kWh
Price $200k

More information here:
https://www.tesla.com/roadster/

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Heard of this on the TV news, though along with the 1.9s car they showed the sleek over the road big rigs that only required 30 minute charge time and can go 800 miles. 220V and how many amps, who knows. Would love to see the battery pack for both!

200kwh in the roadster gets huge omgwtfbbq from me.

Woulda been cool if they went with 140kwh and higher power cells and took off 200lb weight
But I guess they wanna use all the same cells model 3 and roadster and model s.
200kwh is just over kill lol
Even with the high density cells the pack on the roadster must be redicolouss. 2100lb at least.

markz said:
Heard of this on the TV news, though along with the 1.9s car they showed the sleek over the road big rigs that only required 30 minute charge time and can go 800 miles. 220V and how many amps, who knows. Would love to see the battery pack for both!
It’s actually a 500 mile range, the chargers are proprietary and called megachargers. They will all be solar powered connected to powerpacks. When run in convoy mode (three trucks with one driver) they will be cheaper than trains. The complete reveal video is here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8ToNr6p6o
The site is here:
https://www.tesla.com/semi/

Two more things, the semi without a load does zero to sixty in five seconds flat. That’s faster than the single motor M3. It also will fully loaded go up a hill at 65 mph, compared to a diesel truck at 45 mph.

A gas car fan gets converted to electric, planning to buy a Tesla Roadster:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I2PFKbXU3Ig

If Tesla isn't able to earn money with model 3 in 2018 I'm not sure if we will see more Tesla models on the road in 2019ff...

If you can't make money with a model 3 class car you can not make money with trucks plus a new charging network.

So I assume we all will be wiser end of next year...

The Roadster 2 seems to be an intersting concept. At least we would be able to drive such a car at 300km/h+ on the Autobahn over here...

okashira said:
200kwh in the roadster gets huge omgwtfbbq from me.

Woulda been cool if they went with 140kwh and higher power cells and took off 200lb weight
But I guess they wanna use all the same cells model 3 and roadster and model s.
200kwh is just over kill lol
Even with the high density cells the pack on the roadster must be redicolouss. 2100lb at least.

I get the impression they're expecting cell energy density to have greatly improved by the time this car comes about.

Elon tweeted the following about the Roadster:
@elonmusk
Should clarify that this is the base model performance. There will be a special option package that takes it to the next level.

Cephalotus said:
If Tesla isn't able to earn money with model 3 in 2018 I'm not sure if we will see more Tesla models on the road in 2019ff...

If you can't make money with a model 3 class car you can not make money with trucks plus a new charging network.

So I assume we all will be wiser end of next year.
Ron Baron (an eminent investor said on an interview on CNBC that anyone who believes that Tesla won’t be able to produce the M3’s in quantity at a profit is insane.

I agree with him. Why would you even think for a second that they won’t be able to do that? Reading FUD or alternative fact articles? You need to work on increasing your discrimination.

Cephalotus said:
If Tesla isn't able to earn money with model 3 in 2018 I'm not sure if we will see more Tesla models on the road in 2019.
I think the opposite.

They can make money selling model X's and S's at $85K a pop. At that price assembly can be largely manual and they still make money - and there is still a big demand for these cars. On the other hand, they may not be able to make money selling model 3's at $35K a pop. That is a difficult price to profit at even with full automation.

MitchJi said:
Ron Baron (an eminent investor said...

Investors seem to believe in the Tesla story at least until now, otherwise they wouldn't invest billions that Musk is burning day by day.

On the other hand Tesla needs to pay 6%/a in interest which is quite high and would indicate a higher risc investment.

During last quarter Tesla burned 20.000 USD for every vehicle they sold, but mass production of model 3 didn't start yet. Maybe they will get into positive numbers in 2018, but so far it has always been "next year". This will not go on forever, especially when other sources for income like zero emission certificates are gone.

I have no inside view into Tesla, so I'm just a bit curious, but Tesla isn't a religion for me either.

I'm not a believer in their proprietary charging network either. I don't have the numbers for other countries but in Germany they are losing the race against CCS quickly, which offers much better options for the future (up to 500kW)

Supercharger_CCS.jpg

https://www.goingelectric.de/stromtankstellen/statistik/Deutschland/

I doubt that we will ever see a Tesla Megacharger system in Germany.

Of course we are not the most important market i the world, on the other hand where to drive a Tesla Roadster II at 300km/h+ if not on the German Autobahn?

Does anyone know what tyres the new roadster expected acceleration times will be based on? It seems like they're stretching the traction limits for road-legal rubber?

Fastest DOT legal drag radial car runs 5.90s at 275mph.

Fastest 275 width (10.5inches) DOT radial record was just recently set at 6.49 and 200+mph. Many sportscars already come stock with 275width rear tires, and no reason the Tesla would be limited to only 275 width, though it's certainly more than adequate for 8.90s and 1.6s 0-60mph. It does add drag at speed to be wider, so they may be more narrow and it just uses traction control and chassis tuning to get the times. If a stock tire p100d simply continued to pull as hard as it does from 0-30mph all the way through the quarter mile it would be an 8second car already.

So excited to drive one and buy one when available if I haven't already built something faster.

Tesla is the only auto mfg I see with a future at the moment. Since before the original roadster shipped, the media experts have been explaining to us how Tesla and SpaceX both are just about to fail, all the way through the model S and X becoming the most common luxury car I see in California and SpaceX successfully launching and landing and reusing rockets many times now.

liveforphysics said:
Fastest DOT legal drag radial car runs 5.90s at 275mph.

If a stock tire p100d simply continued to pull as hard as it does from 0-30mph all the way through the quarter mile it would be an 8second car already.

Wow, I didn't realise the Model S rubber still had so much give. Those road legal drag tyres are very impressive, but I think road car drivers are going to expect at least >5000 miles from a pair of boots with normalish driving :)

Punx0r said:
........Those road legal drag tyres are very impressive, but I think road car drivers are going to expect at least >5000 miles from a pair of boots with normalish driving :)
Tyre life is pretty much a function of the driving style .
I knew a guy who drove a standard small family car (<100bhp), who would trash a set of tyres in less tha 100 miles of road driving !...most people would get 30,000+ miles from the same tyres.
I doubt the buyers of a $200k car will be too concerned with tyre life

Buk___ said:
He calls that ludicrous. This is ludicrous!

A 1MW car!

:twisted:
Xing has created Lego-like stackable modules each containing 42 lithium-ion cells and packed 98 of them into the car for a total of 4,116 cells. All of these are immersed in 3M's Novec 7200 engineering fluid, which is totally non-conductive, great for heat transfer and also happens to suppress fire.

Cephalotus said:

Ron Baron (an eminent investor said...

Investors seem to believe in the Tesla story at least until now, otherwise they wouldn't invest billions that Musk is burning day by day.
TSLA is not burning money! They are investing money in superchargers, stores, two Gigafactories (now- more on the way), service centers etc. We used to hear the same story about Amazon. How did that turn out?

I'm not a believer in their proprietary charging network either. I don't have the numbers for other countries but in Germany they are losing the race against CCS quickly, which offers much better options for the future (up to 500kW.

I doubt that we will ever see a Tesla Megacharger system in Germany.
Can‘t you see the contradiction?!

Of course they will install Megachargers in Germany. Why in the world would you believe that they won’t?

Back