Remove speed limit from step

I will check the amps coming out of the controller tomorrow at full throttle.
That's what you meant SlowCo?

No.
You need to measure the unloaded and loaded speed to see if the controller is restricted. Like I described in my first reaction on page 1.

wineboyrider said:
Is this scooter speed restricted by NL law?
I think it is speed restricted by law. But for the testing of the speed i will first need to get a bike speedometer :)

Haven't found speedometer yet, but one thing i noticed, when going downhill and reaching a certain speed, the engine stops and restarts when speed lowers.
Could this give you any clue?

Elbobbah said:
Haven't found speedometer yet, but one thing i noticed, when going downhill and reaching a certain speed, the engine stops and restarts when speed lowers.
Could this give you any clue?
Sounds like it is speed limited. Does it have a speedomoter?

Ok so I finally installed a speedometer.
Reference values for 12 inch where not available, so the numbers are just numbers.

When lifting the scooter and opening the throttle i get 48. When driving 43.

So there is about a 10% difference in rotation speed with and without road resistance.

What does this mean?

This would likely indicate that the speed isn't electronically restricted. So the voltage of the battery and the rpm of the motor at that voltage result in the maximum speed. Then you should also find that the top speed when riding with a half or almost empty battery pack is lower than with a fully charged pack just off the charger.

Can't you program the speedometer with a value of the circumference of the tire? That would be roughly 1m (1000mm) for your tire. That way you would have a more accurate number close to the actual speed.

So for going faster you will probably need a higher voltage battery pack and controller.

I will try to set this.
I was more thinking of replacing the motor and the controller but keeping the battery, since it is the most expensive part.
Would that be an option?

The controller says Dual Mode. Is there something like a high/low speed switch?

If you lift the rear wheel and just spin it by hand both directions, you can tell if it's geared or direct drive. Geared motors will spin easily in the forward direction but there will be resistance to spinning backward. Direct drive motors will spin fairly easily in both directions but you will feel some cogging from the magnets.

If you could get a spare motor from them, you could put one on the front and make it a dual motor. :twisted:

I think controller is like this one.
I don't see what the dual mode means https://nl.aliexpress.com/store/product/JS-Electric-bike-Controller-DC-36V-12A-LCD-LED-Electric-Bicycle-Controller-DUAL-MODE-e-bike/2823075_32810850690.html?spm=a2g0z.12010108.1000016.1.4e75b82dT3XSrF&isOrigTitle=true

fechter said:
The controller says Dual Mode. Is there something like a high/low speed switch?

If you lift the rear wheel and just spin it by hand both directions, you can tell if it's geared or direct drive. Geared motors will spin easily in the forward direction but there will be resistance to spinning backward. Direct drive motors will spin fairly easily in both directions but you will feel some cogging from the magnets.

If you could get a spare motor from them, you could put one on the front and make it a dual motor. :twisted:

2 engines :) that would be great! 2X2 drive :)
There is indeed spinning resistance when going backwards

The dual mode is related to the torque and not the speed. On my scooter there is a "turbo" button which allows for more amps and thus faster acceleration. Is there a button at your handlebar that does the same?
If you want to keep the 36v battery you'll need a different/higher rpm motor at that voltage. Are there any numbers on the motor casing or side plates? That way you can find out what brand motor it is and maybe just swap out the geared hub motor core for a higher rpm version.

SlowCo said:
The dual mode is related to the torque and not the speed. On my scooter there is a "turbo" button which allows for more amps and thus faster acceleration. Is there a button at your handlebar that does the same?
If you want to keep the 36v battery you'll need a different/higher rpm motor at that voltage. Are there any numbers on the motor casing or side plates? That way you can find out what brand motor it is and maybe just swap out the geared hub motor core for a higher rpm version.

There is no turbo button and no marks on the wheel/engine

Back