36 Volt 350 watt controller how to connect?

nycbicycleshop

100 µW
We just bought one controller from Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/311933624386 for replacement of our 36 volt 350 watt rear hub motor but all the connection is confusing, on the ebay wiring information slightly different than what they send it to us. First we connected only power input and read the voltage on the hall sensor power in and throttle power in but they are zero after I realized we have to find the switch, finally I opened the controller and try to find the main switch, main power connector has three wires one is thick red (positive) one is thick black (negative) and there is another thin red cable, I guessed this thin red cable is the switch, I connected both red cable on the connector with jumper and connect all red cables to positive on the battery, black thick cable to battery negative, after that I can read +5v on the throttle red wire but when I checked the hall sensor input voltage (red and black cable) it's giving 14v and this confused me.it suppose to be around 4.3v right? Am I doing wrong? Any suggestion? Thanks

controller1.JPGcontroller2.JPGcontroller3.JPGController connections.jpg

Attachments

• controller cover.JPG
    controller cover.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 3,359
As you have found, the thin red wire is the "on" circuit.
You have not told us if you are ck'ing the Hall values w/ the motor connected, but you need not be testing them at this point anyhow. Get everything connected and see if the motor turns is your next step.
One of the difficulties of using such a genaric controller is knowing what color phase/Hall combo.s are going to work.
You have also left out what motor you are using which would help us make a guess. In leu of that, read thru this and see if any of the motor/controller combos approx. yours and try them.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19446&sid=cbc2b88f905d2c04506f04cfbbaa1a74

Or, match color to matching color to start.
If you can't find the right color combo., most of us have been thru this and have developed a technique to find them and somebody will come on here and outline it.

I am using 36 volt 250 watt rear brushless generic hub motor, I already know the motor phase and hall sensors and throttle connection, my main concern is the switch connection, I follow the board guessed thin red cable cable on the power plug but when I connect this thin red cable with thick red together to battery positive, I am getting 14 volt on the motor hall sensor power in I just want to know why? if I getting 14 volt why I will plug to hall sensor connection to the motor? I just want to make sure I am getting correct voltages before plug everything. Thanks

According to the ebay description, it's a self learning controller. The double white wire plug is for self-learning.

What is Hall sensor input for a motor with nothing connected? Me, I would expect it to go to a 5 volt pull up resistor, but 14V is possible.

If you're getting 5 volts on the throttle connector, I think you have the controller powered up. I mean what else could be wrong if only the battery and the start wire are connected?

I've seen some controllers that have 15v on the halls. With no sensor connected, the signal lines are pulled up by a resistor.
The typical SS41 hall switch used in many motors is rated for a maximum of 24v.

I tested this controller when only main battery power connected and power switch is on. the result is throttle voltage is 5v but hall sensor voltage is 14v, If I connect everything even I am receiving 14v on the hall sensor power out what could be the result? burn to hall sensors board?

nycbicycleshop said:
I tested this controller when only main battery power connected and power switch is on. the result is throttle voltage is 5v but hall sensor voltage is 14v, If I connect everything even I am receiving 14v on the hall sensor power out what could be the result? burn to hall sensors board?

The halls sensors will be fine up to 24v. You can try measuring the hall signal lines while slowly turning the motor by hand. They should toggle from high to low.

The 14v wilĺ drop to 5v as soon as you connect. It comes through a pull-up resistor, so everything is protected by that resistor anyway.

Hi d8veh
Yes you correct it dropped to 5v all measurements is okay but motor doesn't turn. Throttle is connected input and out voltage is okay (when I twist the throttle), motor phase and motor hall sensor connector connected (input voltage is okay, moving the wheel give us a voltage is okay) but still wheel doesn't turn, I tried motor phase connection with different combinations but still nothing. I am still confuse about this controller because I didn't figure out the controller remaining output connections, I am guessing we are missing one more connection on the controller put it together. Any guess which cable I have to put it together?
Thanks

If it's powered up, throttle is connected correctly, and phases/halls are connected, SOMETHING should happen when you hit the throttle. It might not be what you want, the motor might run very slow/rough, or even run backwards, but there should be some kind of reaction from the motor.

If it's a self learning controller maybe you have to run it through the learning sequence before it will work, I've never used one so I'm not sure about this, but I would think it would have a default configuration from the factory

Hi
Actually I already try the self learning cable plugin and out but nothing happened (white cable), also I didn't find any power switch for this controller, usually all controllers has two cable plug for battery connection but this controller has 3 cables, one is power+ in, one is power- in, and other one thin red color, I follow this thin red cable on the board and I guessed this red cable suppose to be switch, I make a jumper through the connector power+ to red thin cable after controller has power, maybe something is missing but if something missing I don't have to read all out voltages right? Controller looks pedal assist controller but I am not using this feature. It should be jumper connector on the pedal assist connector if I don't use it? also this controller has some 3 speed connection but still I didn't figure out this connector because it doesn't match the colors on the diagram also I am not using 3 speed selection, maybe I have to connect something on this connector? but I don't know which connector?
Thanks for Help

Wiring instructions " 1- self learning line first to plug ! " ( with exclamation, as though sequence is important ) 2- connect power lines, thin red line , Holzer ( halls?) ,phase , turn line ( throttle ? ) , 3-- connect self study , when powered follow self learning procedure .

It should be fine with the PAS connector disconnected. The 3 speed switch will default to speed 2 with no connection. One of the 3 wires will be ground. Grounding one remaining wire gives speed 1 and the other wire gives speed 3. Anyway, the motor should at least run in speed 2.

Does it have a LED on the board? Many of them have a LED that will blink a code if there is a detected fault. Things that can make it fault include: low battery voltage, throttle signal out of range, invalid hall signal, brake switch activated.

Hi Everybody
Thanks for all your help but still this wheel don't want to roll :D
There is no led on the controller board, I try aroundqube suggestion but nothing. I have another 48 volt controller, I want to give a shot with this system 36 volt 250 watt motor and it worked, but one small problem, in the beginning motor is torque okey but after 5 minutes later motor loose the torque, it's turning but not strong. I checked the battery voltage, still 42 volt also battery is brand new, I am guessing the controller should be 36 volt, this is why I bought this 36 volt controller, but no luck.
Any more suggestions?

Sounds like it's thermal protection. Does the controller get really hot during that 5 minutes? If the hall/phases aren't correct it might run but make alot of heat (and noise).

Back