My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

I will weigh it as soon as I get it. I have a feeling it will be very heavy.

I asked them about the battery, and they said that any battery will work as long as the current and voltage are matched well.

nataS@phnet.fi said:
Robleman said:
Anyone have an answer for:
- Total weight
- Is battery codified? Or can you rebuild it with standar cells?

Thanks

Similar bike on sale says net weight 27 , g.w. was 31 kg. That bike was on 17,5Ah battery and cheaper components. About battery being codified, no idea but strong suspense that it´s not. Atleast i haven´t heard such a thing in chinese builds.

They were just showing me that they were able to read that from the Ultra using their software. They haven't confirmed whether or not they can program it. I'm afraid to try because if I mess it up, I wouldn't know what to do.

fechter said:
robocam said:
They also included this screenshot of their programming software. I hope this means that they will program it to my specifications. I wonder if the software from here will work.

The BBSHD uses the same version (2.0) of the Bafang Config Tool, so I assume the programming software is the same.

Karl at electricbike-blog is gonna publish some settings for the Bafang Ultra (althought with Lunacycles Ludicrous controller) so i guess we´ll soon be wiser about programming.

Awesome. Can't wait. =) The thing that I'm wondering about is the difference between SPORT and ECO. How is the programmer going to handle that? I wonder if the Eggrider will be compatible. Also, my concern about programming the Ultra is not whether I'll get the settings right, but whether the program is compatible with the Ultra. There must be some new settings in the Ultra that the old software isn't aware of.

nataS@phnet.fi said:
Karl at electricbike-blog is gonna publish some settings for the Bafang Ultra (althought with Lunacycles Ludicrous controller) so i guess we´ll soon be wiser about programming.

The inside scoop I got is the Ultra uses a different programming software and the BBSHD software won't work.

That's unfortunate. I wonder how long it will be until we get our hands on a copy of the software.

I was just told by Frey that the throttle and current settings were able to be altered but they were unsure about the assist settings. I wonder what would happen if I plugged an Eggrider into it.

fechter said:
The inside scoop I got is the Ultra uses a different programming software and the BBSHD software won't work.

They just sent me pictures of my bike! I've added 12 pictures to the first post on page 1. Here are 3. Should be shipping soon!

file.php

file.php

Check out that Lyrik!

file.php

Robocam many of us are anxious to read your first review of the bike!
She looks great!
I wonder if they sell just frame&motor cause it can be a good option and less expensive delivery, so everyone can get the rest of the components locally.

They said it should ship tomorrow :)

I asked about buying just the frame and fork but they said they wanted to sell it complete to ensure quality.

Robleman said:
Robocam many of us are anxious to read your first review of the bike!
She looks great!
I wonder if they sell just frame&motor cause it can be a good option and less expensive delivery, so everyone can get the rest of the components locally.

Nice package. Now you see the end of your waiting. Have a safe shipping and enjoy your bike soon.

Thanks =) I still have to wait a few more days. I hope it makes it here undamaged.

Something interesting to note is that they made those derailleur hangers with their CNC machine because the ones they ordered from their supplier hadn't shown up yet. That's pretty cool that they could do that.

oleaiz said:
Nice package. Now you see the end of your waiting. Have a safe shipping and enjoy your bike soon.

The concept looks interesting and there a different ones around from China, all pretty similar. I have got a email today with a cheaper version of it. See attached pic.
I had the chance to test the bike you have ordered. From the motor feeling is pretty different than a BBSHD. While with the HD at assist level 5 you get full power, the Ultra has to be pushed hard to get the same power, because of the torque sensor. It means, if you want to go fast, you will sweat. Using the throttle is no difference between HD and Ultra.
In the flat the power delivery was pretty inconstant, with a pusing power delivery every second, but could be also the settings.
The bike is heavy, compared to my BBSHD built with 180 mm travel and 24,5 Ah, it felt 5 kg heavier, should be around 30 kg.
Looking forward to your experience, let us know!

Attachments

• Catch(11-22-10-1(11-23-16-35-26).jpg
    Catch(11-22-10-1(11-23-16-35-26).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 9,036
Thanks for your test report. So you said the power delivery paused every second while you were on a flat? Was this while using the torque sensor? I imagine the Ultra can be programmed to deliver more power in the higher assist settings.

Where did you get a chance to ride the Frey AM1000? Did you take any pictures? Did you get a chance to test SPORT vs ECO mode?

That bike in the photo may look similar at first glance, but the rear suspension design is completely different, and it's a fat bike. The battery case does look similar though. How much does it cost?

I will update as soon as I receive it =)

burner77 said:
The concept looks interesting and there a different ones around from China, all pretty similar. I have got a email today with a cheaper version of it. See attached pic.
I had the chance to test the bike you have ordered. From the motor feeling is pretty different than a BBSHD. While with the HD at assist level 5 you get full power, the Ultra has to be pushed hard to get the same power, because of the torque sensor. It means, if you want to go fast, you will sweat. Using the throttle is no difference between HD and Ultra.
In the flat the power delivery was pretty inconstant, with a pusing power delivery every second, but could be also the settings.
The bike is heavy, compared to my BBSHD built with 180 mm travel and 24,5 Ah, it felt 5 kg heavier, should be around 30 kg.
Looking forward to your experience, let us know!

Yes the one on the pic is different, I haven't see any price for that, but I have got a email if I'm interested.
The one I have tested wasn't constant in power in the flat, it didn't pause, it is because of the torque sensor or some other issue. The full power was available, but only when pedaled hard. I hope Bafang provides any changes for that. I felt no difference in Sport and Eco, I drove only in Sport. I have made no pics, sorry.

robocam said:
Thanks for your test report. So you said the power delivery paused every second while you were on a flat? Was this while using the torque sensor? I imagine the Ultra can be programmed to deliver more power in the higher assist settings.

Where did you get a chance to ride the Frey AM1000? Did you take any pictures? Did you get a chance to test SPORT vs ECO mode?

That bike in the photo may look similar at first glance, but the rear suspension design is completely different, and it's a fat bike. The battery case does look similar though. How much does it cost?

I will update as soon as I receive it =)

I just got the bike today!!! Haven't had a chance to open the package yet. I'll try to make an unboxing video. The batteries will arrive by the end of the week.

Perfect. Very exiting! Please update with pictures and most importantly with your impression about quality of bike. Once you have the battery and can ride it, will be nice to know. Wish you luck. My bike is under production. They are Waiting for Shimano parts and battery to build it. The promise me to be ready by the middle of December. I ask them for pictures of bike and engine programm pictures. I also ask to get for me the programming cable and software. So far no response. Regards Ole.

Nice! Mine is ready and waiting for shipping, no idea when it will arrive. Interested to also hear what you think about it, ride hard!

Hello. How is it going with packing up the bike? Is it nice? Are you happy with it?

Thanks =) I received regular photo updates. They told me they were able to obtain the programming software, and they're testing it now. I just opened the package today. Batteries arrive tomorrow.

oleaiz said:
Perfect. Very exiting! Please update with pictures and most importantly with your impression about quality of bike. Once you have the battery and can ride it, will be nice to know. Wish you luck. My bike is under production. They are Waiting for Shimano parts and battery to build it. The promise me to be ready by the middle of December. I ask them for pictures of bike and engine programm pictures. I also ask to get for me the programming cable and software. So far no response. Regards Ole.

That's great news! It only took 1 day to reach me after it was picked up.

nataS@phnet.fi said:
Nice! Mine is ready and waiting for shipping, no idea when it will arrive. Interested to also hear what you think about it, ride hard!

Back