E-Bike Building Hacks and useful accessories

untitled (2).png Do any of you have a tips, tricks, life hacks, or favorite accessories you like to use when building or using your E-Bike? If so feel free to share. I personally like to use a DC-DC 12V-5V step down converter to plug in LED headlights or my phone when I am using it as a GPS for it drains my phone battery when I do so. It plugs into the Headlight port on the motor controller.

I've considered a radar detector. "Law enforcement" here in Florida at state, county, and local levels, seems to have every car emitting forward facing radar at all times. I've come to believe that the purpose is more of "unseen" presence awareness than enforcement reasons. And with SO MUCH radar being emitted, a detector is often a nuisance in traffic. But may be nice elsewhere as I'm only here half the year.

While my bike IS capable of 40mph speeds, I have it regulated to 30 max., and I'm very often much below. Still, depending on circumstances, I might occasionally exceed the 20mph limit "on the flat" that "electric assisted bicycles" are limited to, here and elsewhere. And, while more concerned with traffic immediately about me, I HAVE been surprised by the unexpected presense of "law enforcement". Never yet accused of any bicycle violation for years now, this speed issue CAN be a major violation! Which concerns me a bit when I'm occasionally hittin' only 22mph!

Has anyone ever been "hit" by radar for speeding???
I'm actually considering some testing of "stealth technology" and design. While "iron-ball" technology is totally outa reach, newer graphene nano-tube technology is becoming more readily available, and while not for most folks, it jus may be useful to me. LIDAR is becoming increasingly popular, but requires a glaring or light reflective surface,... minimal on many bicycles, lights and reflectors mostly, and easily reduced or eliminated.

I've also been watching closely, the developing technology of "rear approaching radar detection" for bicyclists. My hearing is limited, and any mirror at best leaves many blind spots in rear views. And rear-facing cams jus aren't there in practical use. I like to avoid all I can, but if ya can't see something approaching from behind, it's hard to avoid or even be aware of.

s-l225.jpg

Picked up a set of old stock Rito clip on's to increase the e-range.

The only accessories I have on my bikes are lights and a voltmeter. I like minimalist, clean built bikes that are made to survive bad days and crashes without any damage. Anything I tried adding, broke at first occasion. :wink:

That turn signal really appeals to me. Where does one get it?
otherDoc

DRMousseau said:
Has anyone ever been "hit" by radar for speeding???
I'm actually considering some testing of "stealth technology" and design. While "iron-ball" technology is totally outa reach, newer graphene nano-tube technology is becoming more readily available, and while not for most folks, it jus may be useful to me. LIDAR is becoming increasingly popular, but requires a glaring or light reflective surface,... minimal on many bicycles, lights and reflectors mostly, and easily reduced or eliminated.

I have a similar legal backdrop where I live. But realistically, I think the only way the police are going to get a speed on you is to either pace you, or time you through a speed trap. Unless you have a large trike, I doubt a typical rider and e-bike reflect radar well enough to be picked up from any decent distance. And even if it did, it would only be effective if you were pretty much alone on the road. The reflected signal from cars around you would typically dwarf your reflected signal.

I'd also wonder about the efficacy of arguing a reasonable fudge factor on speed. Excepting school zones, it is very unusual for police to cite for speed until a driver is 10mph over the posted limit. What would happen if a cop cited you for 22mph - two over the ebike limit - if you fought it in court? How did he measure that? How accurate is that measurement.

I'm riding on the general be that an e-bike that looks like a regular bike and pretty much acts as such is pretty much invisible to the vast majority of police officers and that 25mph or so is probably still keeps you "under the radar" so to speak.

Edit: Hmmmm ... I haven't been keeping up on things. Laser/Radar - Lidar could probably detect a bicycle easily and accurately. I guess you need to know what the local police have in their arsenal and factor that into your behavior.

docnjoj said:
That turn signal really appeals to me. Where does one get it?
otherDoc

It looks like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Vishm-Rechargeable-Waterproof-Taillight-Wireless/dp/B071YHQXQT/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1495530565&sr=8-4&keywords=vishm

[youtube]tQ9mYd8cRtI[/youtube]

You are right and the price is too. I wonder if anyone can see it in daylight?
otherDoc

Beat the chill with a set of $4 heated grip pads complete with heat shrink covers and a on/off switch

12 to 72v optional

s-l1600.jpg

Can be added to a battery bag or box for those harsh winter rides.

Gorilla Duct Tape
50lb rated Zip Tires (Pros Tip - White ones are cheaper) for the battery.
Crap-O-Rama el-cheapo zip ties for wiring.

wturber said:
Unless you have a large trike, I doubt a typical rider and e-bike reflect radar well enough to be picked up from any decent distance. And even if it did, it would only be effective if you were pretty much alone on the road. The reflected signal from cars around you would typically dwarf your reflected signal.
I haven't paid attention to them except when I am alone on the road, but even when riding on a more normal bicycle, I have been measured accurately by those radar speed-monitoring signs that show how fast you're going.

No idea if the stuff in a vehicle would accurately measure me.

I'd also wonder about the efficacy of arguing a reasonable fudge factor on speed. Excepting school zones, it is very unusual for police to cite for speed until a driver is 10mph over the posted limit. What would happen if a cop cited you for 22mph - two over the ebike limit - if you fought it in court? How did he measure that? How accurate is that measurement.
In Tucson, riders have been cited for *anything* over 19.9999999MPH. I don't know what happened in court to any of them. (IIRC it started because of one particular gasser guy, but I don't recall the details of that; I heard it secondhand anyway). And I don't know how accurate any of the systems (radar or lidar) are, especially at singling out a much-smaller-than-typical "target" amongst other traffic and/or background objects.

docnjoj said:
You are right and the price is too. I wonder if anyone can see it in daylight?

I usually use motorcycle stuff--it can definitely be seen in daylight. :) I prefer LEDs, so I've converted the incandescent stuff to that for the most part, with aquarium lighting in some (cuz it's already water-resistant). Teh signals on teh trike are still incandescent, but they are still clearly daylight visible.

Aside from that, I also put mine up where they are at least at regular car-driver eye-level, or higher, so they *have* to be seen by car drivers, and are unlikely to be missed even by SUV/truck drivers.

Also, a little square with arrows is much less likely to be instantly and unequivocally understood by drivers than simple blinking lights to one side of the bike or the other. People are trained to look for what you see on a car--so if you emulate that the communication is instantaneous and universal.

Anything that doesn't emulate that isn't universal, and requires the person seeing it to think first and figure it out. Even though ti might not take very long, it is still a conscious process, and takes longer than a trained-in unthinking reaction.

Even if they don't *use* turn signals, people still know what they mean. ;)

(same with brake lights, except those are automatically activated in cars/etc., so they don't have to "use" them).

amberwolf said:

In Tucson, riders have been cited for *anything* over 19.9999999MPH. I don't know what happened in court to any of them. (IIRC it started because of one particular gasser guy, but I don't recall the details of that; I heard it secondhand anyway). And I don't know how accurate any of the systems (radar or lidar) are, especially at singling out a much-smaller-than-typical "target" amongst other traffic and/or background objects.

Tucson also has an official publication stating that electric bikes have a limit of 750 Watts per Arizona Revised Statutes. That is simply incorrect. Perhaps some folks in Tucson have it in for e-bikes?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I was stuck in the '80s regarding police speed guns. Further research shows that the laser/lidar stuff could be very effective if applied to a bicycle. So I guess the thing to know is what kind of speed guns your local constabulary is using.

My favorite accessory for street has become a cheap rear view mirror. Amazon had nice ones in the scooter style for cheap at one point. 5 bucks a pair. Not sure where to get them now, but they are out there. The bike mirrors, like helmet mirrors I did not like at all.

Better motorcycle grade stuff like AW likes, even better. Those usually show without the mount, but on E bay at least, you can also buy just mounts.

Turn signals would have to show on that fu--ers phone to do me any good.

Some would call a voltmeter an accessory, but I call it a necessity. I can't live with a crude meter that shows bars. I need a number, reading in at least tenths of a volt.

For phone or other charging, I just carry a pocket battery charger if I need it. One 18650 cell with a USB port. You can see them at every checkout aisle in the country these days.

Lights I like to be able to remove and use other ways, so I like the rubber mounts on my bars, that grab a generic flashlight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-360-Swivel-Bicycle-Bike-Mount-Holder-Clip-Clamp-for-Led-Flashlight-Torch/400786641292?epid=1039043645&hash=item5d50bed18c:g:SyEAAOSwY45UN0s9

dogman dan said:
Better motorcycle grade stuff like AW likes, even better. Those usually show without the mount, but on E bay at least, you can also buy just mounts.
You can make a mount for almost any mirror that has a round / tubular post on it (like the thread-in MC and scooter ones), out of a typical cheap seat-mounting post clamp.

You'd file off the little bumps that keep the clamp from sliding down the seatpost below its end, so it'll go over your handlebars wherever you want to mount it.

You'll only need one side of the seat rail clamps, but you may have ot leave both if you use the oriiginal bolt/nuts that came on the clamp due to length. The mirror post goes into one of the rail clamps, then you angle it how you like it, then tighten the nuts down.

If the mirror post is thick enough, then stick a large nut or other bit of unneeded stuff into the other side, so that it helps hold the clamps even, as they are going to be separated by enough distance taht they'll just angle and not clamp as tightly as you tighten the nut down otherwise.

Voila, instant mirror mount.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39877&p=585380&hilit=seat+post+mirror#p585380

file.php

If you want to mount it on the bar end, you can leave the "bump"
file.php

file.php

file.php

On my semi-recumbent bike (and the trike) the bars are more vertical, so the mirrors are mounted at the top of the arches
file.php

Runs on 12 to 80v reported to use 20 watts power my guess is about 10 watts draw.

$10 eBay

s-l400.jpg

It will be mounted under a brake lever and left in place

s-l1600.jpg

Here's a cyclist that did actually get nabbed by radar for speeding: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/speeding-cyclist-gets-ticketed-in-saanich-school-zone-1.3751355

As for gizmos and hacks, they had better be waterproof; aside from a couple dry summer months, it rains here more often than not. I do prefer the minimalist approach, though I sometimes have a GPS phone plugged into my 5V battery USB charger.

With safety and tickets in mind ordered this 12-80v led strobe tail light for $3 from ebay
I like that it has a simple yet secure mount again it will be left on the bike .

Both lights are not real steal worthy so should be fine to leave on bike for shopping stops etc
The removable lights are too tempting for thieves .

s-l1600.jpg

It should extent our lives and keep the fuzz off our backs , I noticed he has sold a few hundred , a worth investment at $3

molybdenum said:
Here's a cyclist that did actually get nabbed by radar for speeding: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/speeding-cyclist-gets-ticketed-in-saanich-school-zone-1.3751355

Doesn't say what technology they used. Would be nice to know. But yes, most cities have very low tolerance for speeding in school zones. you don't even get a 5mph grace in our area. Best to stay at 15 mph or below. Also, no passing allowed in a school zone here. I was a bit surprised that the Canada school zone speed is 30kph instead of 25kph.

Looking for a Mirror ?

The mirrors designed for 7/8 Motorcycle handlebars also fit 22mm Mountain bike bars making for a wide selection of mirrors in useful sizes and styles.

I came across this little set of MC mirrors on ebay for $10
s-l200.jpg

Then I came across and bought the mirror below referred to as a ' 3D rearview mirror ' in ebays cycling dept , price $10
s-l225.jpg

The mirror itself is 5" x 3" making it one of the more useful sized mirrors on the market.

s-l400.jpg

There are two models one labeled as small one as large.

Cat Ears type helmet strap mounted wind noise reducers.

The wind noise started to get really annoying (and likely unhealthy) since increasing my cruising speed to 19-24 MPH.

These did the trick!
file.php

Definitely well into the category of "Improved Quality of Life" accessory.

https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93661&p=1739700#p1739700

Back