No response with new MXUS

Thecopterdr

100 mW
I've got a brand new MXUS 3K and ZT 72-18 controller.
I thought I'd get it hooked up early in the project and have got the display working and showing voltage but not battery capacity. Temp is displayed and if I unplug the Hall sensor then I get an error symbol on the display.
I can't get a response out of the throttle. I plugged in one 24volt pack just to get the display going then paired up a couple to make 48 volts to run the motor. There haven't been any sparks or things plugged up that shouldn't be. All the plugs are different sizes and pretty idiot proof.

Has anybody had this problem or have any idea what might be going on?

In very general terms, 95% of the time its just one plug or another not making contact, even though it looks like it is.

In particular, if you have the white square, scooter type plugs for halls and throttle etc, they are notorious for having a contact back out of the housing when you connect. look hard at those if you have that type plug, and bend the tab to click in the contact solid if any are not fully clicked into the housing.

If its not a matched kit, then no telling if you can just plug in and go. you might need to enable the self study/self learn function, or even do the try all the combinations of halls and phase wires to make it run.

Thanks, It is a matched kit and I've checked and double checked all connections.
I've opened up the throttle and it looks ok inside. The display shows me when something isn't connecting and everything seems to be.
I'm tempted to throw the whole lot in the bin and start again.

The brake symbol appears on the display when the brake levers are depressed.
The display shows voltage but not capacity which has me wondering if the controller has an issue.

Thecopterdr said:
I've got a brand new MXUS 3K and ZT 72-18 controller.
What exactly does the "72-18" mean? If it means it's a 72-volt capable controller, then it may have an LVC that is setup for an 18s pack. If it's assuming 3v/cell for the LVC, that'd be 54v *minimum* before it can activate the controller to run the motor (even though the display may function at lower voltages, it is protecting against what it thinks is a low battery).

Many controllers are capable of a number of different voltage packs, but require programming either via the computer (USB/serial) or via settings pages in their LCD.

Some require a physical wiring change inside the controller, like a jumper or "zerohm" resistor, like this one
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90019&p=1312201&hilit=LVC+jumper#p1312119

Amberwolf, You might be onto something there.
72-18 means 72V 18FET, although it is a 48-72 Volt capable controller I have no programming ability with this Niu display.
I will certainly look into this tonight by having another look inside the box and hooking up a third 24 Volt battery.

Thanks for your input :)

Amberwolf, you are a legend.
Guys like you who share your knowledge are the reason these forums are so successful.
Thanks again, your suggestion was actually the exact solution. Although my controllers board didn't have the voltage option I was able to get it up and running with my third 24 volt pack.
I will now have to go and get a display that allows me to program the controller. MXUS should have told me this when I was dealing with them.
Any recommendations? I was thinking that the LCD3 might do it.

TCD

Well duhh,, I just stupidly thought you had a 48v controller since you were trying to run it on 48v. I paid no attention at all to the model number since you did not put in a link to it. I'm not going to dig for it, only to google something slightly wrong anyway.

One of my peeves here, if you are asking about a particular thing, like a bike, or whatever, a link helps us understand exactly what you have.

AW is a genius btw, for real. I just have common sense, which is almost as rare. AW has genius AND common sense, rarest of all.

Dogman Dan, Point taken and I will certainly do that in the future.
Only problem is, I've searched the internet high and low and can't find a link to that model number.
Given that this was purchased from MXUS directly, as a package with the 3K motor I had expected a little more info.
I emailed them when it all turned up asking for info, just to be told "it just plugs right in"
This issue highlights the fact that this tiny amount of information is pretty critical..........

Thecopterdr said:
I will now have to go and get a display that allows me to program the controller.
Have you looked inside the controller to see if it has the jumpers like I linked to? If not, you might be spending money on something that can't even do what you want. (if it has jumpers, it probably won't change via programming).

I know it's a pain to have to do this stuff, but there's no other way to know.

It's possible that the LCD you already have can do what you want, but you would require it's manual on how to access settings thru it (if it has any buttons).

MXUS should have told me this when I was dealing with them.
Unfortunately most places are just sellers, not manufacturers, so not only do they not know much (if anything) about what they sell, they don't care. It's up to the end-user to figure it out if they want to do anything other than plug it in and go. :/

MXUS makes motors, but I doubt they make controllers (or anything else); even if they do the people you deal with asking questions don't know anything--they're only there to take your money and send you stuff (if you're lucky, the stuff you expected to get). If you're buying hundreds or thousands of something, many sellers/manufacturers/etc will do a fair bit of work helping out, but otherwise they have no reason to care.

Unfortunately the MXUS kit site doesn't have any info at all about the controllers that come with their kits, or any controllers available separately from the kits, so there is nothing there to help.

If you were to attach large clear pictures of the labels on the controller, it might have info that would lead to what's compatible with it, etc.

If it does not, then attach large clear pictures of the inside of the controller, showing the pads and chips and labels and any other info on the board inside, that might help.

Thats the problem, There are no buttons on the display, There is no information anywhere on the internet.
This attachment is the most I could find:
Screen-Shot-2016-05-06-at-3.30.21-PM.jpg
At least with the LCD3 you can find manuals and even youtube videos on them.

There are no jumpers inside the controller.
The controller is apparently set to go into safe mode at 60 volts.
I need to program in the wheel diameter, battery voltage and set the brake regen to my liking.

TCD

:( I guess the only option you have with the controller you've got is to find a compatible LCD, or to see if you can get them to send you the computer-based reprogramming software (if there is any) and a cable to do that with.

Just so you aren't disappointed when an LCD arrives, keep in mind that only specific LCDs are compatible with specific controllers.

If the "LCD3" is sold with the specific model controller you have, then it should be compatible if bought separately as well.

If it's not sold with it, it may not be compatible (unless they specifically say that it is, with that specific model).

I know of no listing of which LCDs are compatible with which controllers.

The KT controller I brought was offered with the LCD 3 as an option.
I have since brought an LCD 3 only to find that it has 5 wires going into the display when the KT controller has 3 outputs.
So logic would state that If I coupled up the 3 colours to the corresponding display ones that I might get something.
I did and had the display lit up and working followed by the smell a blown transistor FFS....

Yet again I can't find the slightest amount of information that would indicate where to start.
Lucky it wasn't a CA I guess ......

The LCD3's five wires are red (battery power), blue (start), black (ground) plus two data wires TX/RX (yellow/green). When you turn on the LCD3, it takes the blue wire from 0 volts to battery power which starts the controller. It does need the two data wires to read the controller data and to set program parameters. In short, it cannot run the bike without the two data wires.

It will power up with just the battery power. To test my LCD3, I hook up battery power properly across the red and black leads, and press the start button. It lights up. No smoke. Blue output pin from the LCD3 will rise to battery power. Maybe you accidentally short circuited the blue wire. If you hooked red/black backwards, I don't think the LCD would have powered up.

Did the bike run with the other display. Did PAS and throttle work? Was there a separate start switch before you connected the LCD3?

You might have to post pictures of all the connectors for your controller to get assistance. Red/blue/black is also used for throttle.

IMG_0364 (1).jpg
These are the outputs from my Controller.
The three in my hand are spares which I know nothing about.
The display plug is currently hooked up to a display which has been working fine, as in the posts above.
All plugs have been made idiot proof so as to not connect incorrectly.
I've also noted that the throttle input (marked with a 'T') has 4 wires yet the controller has 5....

1) Is the MXUS a sensor motor? What you marked as a PAS connector sure looks like a Hall sensor connector. Does it go to the motor or to a PAS sensor?

2) What you marked as Display looks like a three wire PAS or Throttle input to me, but you say that a display is connected there and works properly? That would have to be a dumb display, with two wires for power/ground, probably 5 volts, and a third wire for serial data coming from the controller.

3) You'll have to describe the throttle. Does it have power LED's, a start button, and a way to change PAS levels? A regular thumb throttle only needs 3 wires.

4) KT controllers usually have an input for wheel speed. Where's that?

My apologies, Too much time reading forums...The PAS marked plug is in fact the Halls (1 of 2 available)

The Display that is plugged in gives me Voltage, Motor temp and mode and yes it is very basic hence the want to change it.

The throttle has the power on/off switch and a 3 position mode switch which seems to be a speed rather than current limiting thing.
It doesn't have any LEDs and the switching part has a seperate Brown ,Green , Yellow wiring harness (Black connector in pic) I've zip tied it to the throttle harness.

Back