Mongoose XR-Pro Build

captaingeek

100 µW
Hi All,

Wanted to gets some helpful feedback on my XR-Pro build. Suggesting a different frame or bike is not helpful so please do not reply if its off topic.
a7e27abf-7a38-4fdb-9492-1eef94d13606_1.344ff1008d0bcaad1c2e805772ea9a3c.jpeg
I'd like to purchase everything from a single vendor. I'm open to building my own battery etc.

I"m willing to spend up to $1,500 on the motor, battery and accessory's.

I'm thinking of a bafang mid drive kit from Luna Cycles:
https://lunacycle.com/mid-drive-kits/
I like the look of the BBSHD or maybe the Ultra.

Cart from Luna Cycle:

Bafang BBSHD Mid Drive Ebike Kit
Choose Your Programming Level: 750w Street Legal
Bottom Bracket Size: 68-73mm (Standard)
Chain Ring: Stock 46T Steel Chain Ring
Bafang Handles with Ebrake Cut Off: Bafang Handles with Built-in Ebrake cut off
Add an Additional Luna Designed Chainring: Luna Aluminum Chain Ring Adapter With 42T Sproc...
Display Options: Bafang Display C961
Add a Gear Sensor: GearSensor for Derailers and Internal Geared Hu...
Throttle Choices: Bafang BBSxx Universal Thumb Throttle
Make it a kit by adding a top grade battery: 52v Triangle 25R 20ah $779.00
Add a 5.5mm Smart Charger for your Battery (Not Included): 52v Mini 3amp Advanced Charger with 3 Position ...
$1,598.00

Cycle Ebike Tool Kit
$39.00

BBS02 and BBSHD Programming Cable
$19.95

BBSHD, good. Bike, not good. Start with a better bike, even if you have to get a used one to meet your budget.

Chalo said:
BBSHD, good. Bike, not good. Start with a better bike, even if you have to get a used one to meet your budget.

That's not helpful at all. Please stay on topic. Reported.

Your topic is a request for feedback. Chalo is definitely not wrong. Walgooses are not particularly good bikes. It more than likely has a plastic bushing for the main suspension pivots. A BBSHD is gonna torque the rear end. Components (brakes, derailleur, etc.) will all be low end. Also, you mentioned the Bafang Ultra. Those require a specific frame to work.

captaingeek said:
Chalo said:

You asked for feedback and I gave it to you straight, the same as I would for one of my own customers. You may resent my advice because you already made your critical mistake-- but it's probably the best advice you'll get from anyone on your project. Correspondingly, ignoring it would be the most effective way to prevent the long term success of your build.

captaingeek said:
Chalo said:

You reported someone for giving you honest and accurate advice!? Ive had a bunch of people here point out my mistakes, Ive learned from them and ended up with a faster, safer, more efficient bike. Drop your gaurd a little bit mate, no one is here to prevent you from acheiving your goals, but we have a communal obligation to each other to point out when someone is doing something unsafe. Youd be best pairing it with a BBS02 and upgrade key components. Brakes would be my first port of call. Keep us updated on how the build progresses!

Sean9002 said:
captaingeek said:
Chalo said:
You reported someone for giving you honest and accurate advice!?

His FEEWINGS was hoitated. (Damn left wingers fighting among themselves again.)

$1,500 worth of parts on a $99 bike. Chalo, whatever possessed you to think he wanted something GOOD?

Having built on something similar to the bike here, in my case it was the Mongoose XR15 that someone gave me, the bike proved worth every cent I spent to acquire it. The 450w Currie kit may have been a bit overpriced at close to $300, but the performance of the Mongoose made me wish I'd paid even less.

I still have the Currie kit I could put on something else if I wanted. That Mongoose. . . ?

Meanwhile, if you have a Fry's electronics near you, check out the $699 bike that's much like what you're trying to build. Seriously. Maybe you could build on the XR Pro with this more suitable investment: https://www.yescomusa.com/products/brushless-electric-bicycle-engine-48v-1000w-rear-wheel-hub-motor-kit

Getting ready to order. I think im going to just go with the BBDHD and build my own batter. Thanks for any suggestions.

Cart from Luna Cycle:

Bafang BBSHD Mid Drive Ebike Kit
Choose Your Programming Level: 750w Street Legal
Bottom Bracket Size: 68-73mm (Standard)
Chain Ring: Stock 46T Steel Chain Ring
Bafang Handles with Ebrake Cut Off: Bafang Handles with Built-in Ebrake cut off
Add an Additional Luna Designed Chainring: Luna Aluminum Chain Ring Adapter With 42T Sproc...
Display Options: Bafang Display C961
Add a Gear Sensor: GearSensor for Derailers and Internal Geared Hu...
Throttle Choices: Bafang BBSxx Universal Thumb Throttle
Make it a kit by adding a top grade battery: 52v Triangle 25R 20ah $779.00
Add a 5.5mm Smart Charger for your Battery (Not Included): 52v Mini 3amp Advanced Charger with 3 Position ...
$1,598.00

Cycle Ebike Tool Kit
$39.00

BBS02 and BBSHD Programming Cable
$19.95

Bikes up and running and having a blast!!
DR8aFZZU8AACenV.jpg:large

I am going to to do basically the same build. I picked up a Mongoose XR Pro for $123 that was brand new. Do you think Luna's Shark Pack would fit inside the frame? I printed out their drawing to size, cut it out, and held it in place and looks like it would fit but, just barely.

How do you like your setup?
What is top speed?
How does it climb?
Did you have any install problems?

TIA,

Manx

Battery won’t fit in frame and be removable. Could probably be semi permanently mounted in there which I considered. Even if you remove the spring in order to remove the batt you still won’t have enough room. Range isn’t that great but probably about 25 miles with pedal assist.

Already have a couple of hundred miles on it and still a lot of fun. Max speed without pedaling is about 25mph. Easy to do 30 with pedaling. No problem climbing.

Removing the stock crank set is a bish. I pretty much stripped out one side. Make sure u have a good removal tool the one that can’t with the Luna tool set is sheet.

Dauntless said:
Sean9002 said:
captaingeek said:
Chalo said:
You reported someone for giving you honest and accurate advice!?

His FEEWINGS was hoitated. (Damn left wingers fighting among themselves again.)

$1,500 worth of parts on a $99 bike. Chalo, whatever possessed you to think he wanted something GOOD?

Having built on something similar to the bike here, in my case it was the Mongoose XR15 that someone gave me, the bike proved worth every cent I spent to acquire it. The 450w Currie kit may have been a bit overpriced at close to $300, but the performance of the Mongoose made me wish I'd paid even less.

I still have the Currie kit I could put on something else if I wanted. That Mongoose. . . ?

Meanwhile, if you have a Fry's electronics near you, check out the $699 bike that's much like what you're trying to build. Seriously. Maybe you could build on the XR Pro with this more suitable investment: https://www.yescomusa.com/products/brushless-electric-bicycle-engine-48v-1000w-rear-wheel-hub-motor-kit

wow you guys are the worst. It's a $400 frame , also just don't be an asshole

captaingeek said:
No problem with the frame. On a new derailleur and gear set but doing just fine

Those first couple responses are just, well way too many of those types on here. I Have a similar frame but it's 27.5 , what tire width did the mongoose come with? Any chance you could measure the distance between the rear drop outs, but all the way forward by the bottom bracket? Have you considered upgrading the rear shock? FWIW read up as much as I Could on rear suspension and the type on that bike is the best you can get for any bike <$500

Interesting build, any idea how much it weighs? I bought an XR pro also. It's a great $400 bike, wtf do some of these guys expect for that kind of money? I've been beating on mine for over a year and it's nothing but fun. Offroad the 29 wheels roll over stuff that my 26 wheels would just sink into. You did your build a couple years ago wonder if there's anything decent that's a lot cheaper, id buy a G360 before I spent that much on this. In your defense that wasn't available when you did your build.

It would be interesting to hear if the builders can confirm or dismiss the points made by the nay-sayers, now that people have built what counters the advice.

Epyon said "A BBSHD is gonna torque the rear end". I've also read that BBSHD's cause wear and tear on the chain and sprockets that significantly shortens the life of those components. I don't know how true that is, or to what extent cheap bikes are more vulnerable, but perhaps it makes sense to get a gear shift sensor, so that the motor isn't cranking as you're shifting. Perhaps it also makes sense to get steel sprockets, which I hear never wear out.

Anyway, I guess the OP wouldn't know if the BBSHD significantly shortened the life of the moving parts (cassette, sprockets, bearings) if we don't first have a record of the lifespan of those parts on a motorless version.

Back