Game Changer Page 3 with video of 1700amps!!!!

Arlo1 said:
Looks interesting!

Horribly expensive, but a tiny amount goes a very long way, seemingly lasts for ever (at least 15 years they claim), and it works miracles on PC/server cards, which is where I first used it years ago.

It's also very strange stuff. You can safely wipe it along a set of edge connectors without trying to individually dab each contact and it won't cause shorts. Something about it being initially non-conducting and only conducting when an electric field forms across it.

I also read that it has been used for applications up to 30,000 amps, which should cover most situations! :)

its stupidly expensive and is not a solution for having crappy connections. just get better connectors to solve the problem at its base. if you are really paranoid you can get milspec stuff.

flippy said:
if you are really paranoid you can get milspec stuff.

It IS milspec stuff. US Army, Navy and Airforce, Nasa, Nato, .... It's the real deal.

i am talking about using proper milspec connectors rated for the task, not stuff to fix dodgy undersized connectors.

flippy said:
i am talking about using proper milspec connectors rated for the task, not stuff to fix dodgy undersized connectors.

The military use it on their military spec connectors; for 15 years of corrosion free, vibration proof connections.

NASA use it on their space spec connectors to ensure 15 years of good connections through the vagaries of extreme vibrations during launch and temperature swings of 4-500°K up to once every two hours. And because there are no(*) service calls in space.

It's well tested, well proven and widely used, and for much more than "fixing dodgy connectors" -- although it will often do that too, even loose and corroded ones, where "using a better connector" is either prohibitive or impossible -- but that isn't the purpose I was suggesting here.

That purpose was providing reliable high current, flat surface pressure (bolt) connections between disparate metals by filling microscopic surface voids and preventing oxide formation.

But, no one is forcing you to consider it; and I don't benefit a jot either way. Just passing on a suggestion for something I've found useful and reliable since I first discovered it by reading the writings of Jerry Pournelle in the long defunct Byte magazine over 30 years ago.

(*Hubble/ISS excepted.)

flippy said:

Milspec often just means it uses 1950s threaded cannon plugs that suck for cost or to package the space necessary to install.

The some of the worst connectors I've seen were aircraft and mil-spec rated.

I also did a pretty exhaustive grease study in bolted bus bar joints and found the best performer is also one of the cheapest and makes no claims of improvements in conductivity and has no particle fillers. ASI compound #70 grease-like paste.

i know the old style connectors suck by todays standards. (the new stuff is quite nice actually.

but lets be honest, if you are messing around like we are with currents well into the triple digits you need to think hard about what you are doing. and everyone knows that there are people that will think that putting on some magic spray will prevent their undersized and specced connectors from melting away.

flippy said:
i know the old style connectors suck by todays standards. (the new stuff is quite nice actually.

but lets be honest, if you are messing around like we are with currents well into the triple digits you need to think hard about what you are doing. and everyone knows that there are people that will think that putting on some magic spray will prevent their undersized and specced connectors from melting away.

Not spray, not magic, not intended for under-specced connectors. The only one thinking that is you.

Back