can you help me source this LED?

izeman

1 GW
this is a led from a desk lamp. powered by a constant current power supply 12V 500mA. diameter of the PCB is 24mm.
tried to find this thing on ebay or aliexpress but w/o success. no idea what to search for.
i searched for "high power led" "12v 5W" "COB" "24mm" a combination of it ...

any help would be highly appreciated, as the lamp itself was quite expensive and if i can source the led it will work again. if i press my finger on it it kind of works. there must be some connection broken inside.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,085
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,085
izeman said:
this is a led from a desk lamp. powered by a constant current power supply 12V 500mA. diameter of the PCB is 24mm.
tried to find this thing on ebay or aliexpress but w/o success. no idea what to search for.
i searched for "high power led" "12v 5W" "COB" "24mm" a combination of it ...

any help would be highly appreciated, as the lamp itself was quite expensive and if i can source the led it will work again. if i press my finger on it it kind of works. there must be some connection broken inside.

It appears to be a ZhiHai product, but their website reports:
Sorry, the product you are looking for is not available for now, please contact us.

izeman said:
yes. found the company myself, but couldn't find the PCB only on their website.
seems they do special complete lamps only.

Oh, okay.

(I just thought that as they have a webpage dedicated to the LED part number, it might be an old part that has been superseded. Perhaps if you contact them, they might offer an equivalent replacement part.)

Why bother using the same LED again? You have so many options that will work in place of this LED that also run on 12 volts. Go look at the selection of LEDs at Mountain Electronics (www.mtnelectronics.com). I bet you will find something that will work as a replacement. IT doesn't matter that it's an exact replacement or not. Does the LED fit in the same space and can it run off the same voltage and amps. If it can, then it's a match!

ElectricGod said:
... Does the LED fit in the same space and can it run off the same voltage and amps. If it can, then it's a match!
that's the point. the size is the issue. i can find LED PCBs in 20mm and 28mm size. but none with 24mm. no idea why. i know ordered the 20mm size and will see if i can fix it somehow.

You can get 1W or 3W individual LED emitters that are only about 8mm in diameter, and that have forward voltages of about 3.5V. Three or four of those epoxied to a 24mm disc heatsink of your liking, and soldered in series, would fit in the same package and do the same job. Add a resistor or a power diode to drop any excess voltage, if the driver in your lamp isn't already a current regulated device.

Chalo said:
You can get 1W or 3W individual LED emitters that are only about 8mm in diameter, and that have forward voltages of about 3.5V. Three or four of those epoxied to a 24mm disc heatsink of your liking, and soldered in series, would fit in the same package and do the same job. Add a resistor or a power diode to drop any excess voltage, if the driver in your lamp isn't already a current regulated device.
you're abolutely right, but i was looking for a 1:1 direct replacement. i just can't imagine that i bought the one single lamp in the world that uses this LED. i was expecting to just open aliexpress and order a replacement.

It is strange that the manufacturer of the lamp wouldn't use a more common format of LED. But lately it seems that chip-on-board PCB LEDs come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Every time I retrofit a light from tungsten or fluorescent, it seems that the available choices have changed (and that the LEDs have gotten cheaper, brighter, and better in color).

Back