Batteries vs Cold ☃

I have been riding in 40F temperatures and am a bit new to the E-Bike scene. I have seen a performance dip on the battery at that temp- I am not worried about the performance . However I am worried about hurting the battery long term. Will charging and riding in these temps (40F) hurt or degrade the battery and the life of the battery?

No definite answer on damaging, by discharging battery when cold ... but definite suppressed battery performance!
Charging when cold is detrimental!

Allow to warm near room temperature, then charge.

Put warm battery on bike for good initial performance.

I put my bike in the basement for the winter just last week because of the snow and ice here in Boston. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for maintaining the battery until spring. It is a 48v 26.1ah panasonic 13650 lithium ion pack. I have a 4amp charger. Should I charge it once a week, one a month? should I run the motor and drain the battery periodically? I'd love help on this issue. Maybe there is thread on maintaining the battery for a few months - love some help/recommendations.

changeissimple said:
I put my bike in the basement for the winter just last week because of the snow and ice here in Boston. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for maintaining the battery until spring. It is a 48v 26.1ah panasonic 13650 lithium ion pack. I have a 4amp charger. Should I charge it once a week, one a month? should I run the motor and drain the battery periodically? I'd love help on this issue. Maybe there is thread on maintaining the battery for a few months - love some help/recommendations.

Best stored at refrigerator, NOT fewer temps. Best I can do is 55F. Store at 50% charge. 46.8V.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 11.50.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 11.50.45 AM.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,774
Here's the complete chart.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 2.35.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 2.35.19 PM.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,774
Just to remind!

Cold hinders performance
Temperature greatly increases internal resistance causing moderate to severe voltage sag = poor performance and indicating premature empty.
Keeping battery near 70ºF ensures good performance!
Insulate battery to keep warm if exposed to cold for any length of time.
Consider additional heating if in extended cold, external power to heating element or possibly self powered?

Cold can damage battery!
It is, nearly universally, stated and agreed that charging a battery when cold is not recommended >> warned against as detrimental >> damaging to batteries.
Battery is optimally charged at near 70ºF.

Many new BMS's prevent charging below 32ºF!

Update - charging LiFePO₄ below 32ºF will permanently damage ⋙ ruin ⋙ destroy?!
Applicable to all Lithium formulations, unless explicitly instructed as designed for sub-freezing charges. (As with some LTO)

Back