BBS02 and Phase Runner

LewTwo

1 MW
Really stupid question ... I know that one can replace the internal controler on a BBS02 with an external one. I am wondering if anyone has used a Phase Runner for that purpose. Advantages vs Disadvantages, opinions ???

Why do I ask ... well I originally purchased a phase runner to put on my lightweight road bike but it rides so rough and my Grocery Getter is so much more pleasant to ride that I have sorta of lost interest in doing anything else to the weight weenie. My next project will be a bamboo frame with a BBS02 mid drive and IGH. So I was wondering if the phase runner might be a good option for it.

I couldn't read thru the thread (because of the way the new board version works) to see what the details were, but I think this one uses the PR as an external controller for a BBS02:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83301&hilit=BBS*+phaserunner&start=25

amberwolf said:
I couldn't read thru the thread (because of the way the new board version works) to see what the details were, but I think this one uses the PR as an external controller for a BBS02:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83301&hilit=BBS*+phaserunner&start=25
Thanks for the link but that turns out to be two different bikes.
One with a BBS02 and another bike with a PR and a HS3540 DD hub.

Sorry about that. :(

(The new forum behavior of expanding *everything* instead of just text when increasing browser font size (ctrl+) means that everything is several times the size it should be when I get the text big enough to read easily (on my 1680x1050 22" monitor). Makes it hard for me to even tell where I am in a thread as I scroll thru it, especially when it has images in it since they can be more than a screen tall, and multiple images in a row get me "lost" where I am vertically.

I'll find a solution eventually, but for now it's problematic. It's even difficult to read thru my own threads to find info.)

I am having any problems with the new forum software but I probably use it differently.

I am sure somebody will eventually come up with some comments regarding my question.

Had good experience with BBSHD and phase runner. The stock controller ramps better to engage the drive train, and if you aren't careful and slam on the power the motor bounces against the drive train before settling down. This may be current tuning but I haven't overcome it yet without having to pedal and then apply power. The issue has tripped the controller requiring a power cycle to clear the fault.

Running in closed loop continuous. Anyone else had this problem?

Advantages are the torque throttle and the field weakening overspeed, plus it is dead silent. Never cared for the PAS levels on the bafang. Throttle-only control is safer and you can regulate the assist with your torque throttle just as easily.

As far as I am concerned PAS is not relevant because I never install or use it.
I wonder if I could use a CA to tame the ramp up a bit better.
Have to go back and reread the manuals.

The CA3 conversion kit from DE adds some functionality.

https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/table_compare_EN.pdf

I've been re-using a CA2 as a meter, pulled the throttle pin from the CA connector and isolated it, and wired the throttle directly to phase runner. No automatic smooth ramping functions available unless I upgrade to CA3 or add a Resistive-Capacitive circuit to the throttle line (no thanks-I want to live). An upgrade to CA3 might be in the future, not sure if I want to keep spending on this build.

Don't do what I did unless you are on a budget or have some spares laying around. The arrangement would work fine with a DD hub, but this aint no DD hub!

tomjasz said:
The CA3 conversion kit from DE adds some functionality.

https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/table_compare_EN.pdf
That is a good reference. I did not realize that there were so many differences between the two models.

Back