Battery Packs - Where to buy them

Honey Badger said:
AllCell Technology in Chicago makes great batteries. They incorporate a proprietary PCM (phase change material) that absorbs excess heat and allows for higher performance/longer life. I've been using one of their 36v 15Ah packs with a 750 Aotema front direct drive for 3 months with great results. They also warranty their packs for two years. If you're interested, I can refer you to a shop in my neighborhood that is an AllCell dealer/shipper.

Agree 100%. I bought my battery pack from Chicago Electric bikes and it is still running great since 2011. So its almost been 3 years and no difference in performance. The prices are higher, but the quality and service is excellent.

:mrgreen:

I always bought Chinese LiFePo4 batteries other than getting the BMS far too lower wattage then replacing BMS have had good service from ---
BMS battery , Greenbikekit , & battery bikekit . Having trouble at the moment with shipping to our bottom of planet country New Zealand-- are there any other
battery supply people who others can recommend.-----By the way one of my past batteries is near 9 years old as don't ride every day .
Proves LiFePo4 are cheap over the years.

We're wanting battery in carrier type pack , seems ping only have the square shrink wrap ones .. Its Definitely better with key operating
turn off as with our type kit there is never a total off until battery disconnected..

looks like i'l have to buy ebay but have to add 15% tax as price marked at real price . They can be risky with as bms can be to low a amps .
i think this motor is about 300w.(36v)Usualy am buying for 500 & 24v & this is big amp for most 24v (have replaced a fair few BMS's)

thank you eva-macheal
thanks for the good information .
I just bought one on Ebay hope it gets to us have tax yet on it to pay etc I've built up the cells & BMS with the large screw headway ones AH does never seem to be as each cell is claimed & Ihave had problems as with the way I made the pack.Also i wish one could buy a key operated high amp switch for simple connection .
As an electrical guy said to me once -kev your'e playn round with nothing ya know about. Don't make a dime at what i do but if it werent for these batteries I'd not be biking I'd propably have a muss'el vintage pony. (car)

Where can I get a 14s2p 18650 pack? I ordered the one Luna sells, but they seem unable to ship it and I'd like to find a more reliable source for future orders. Is there a vendor that will make a custom pack like that for me?

I was running 3 SLA battery I got about 300 km out of it , and now I learned my lesson, since the SLA battery now dead not even 5 months in.

If I want to go with the cheapest option that is not SLA,

is LIPO from hobby king will be the best choice. price wise. please Keep in mind I need a battery and charger combo.

I have a pretty good knowledge on how to wire lipo battery to get the voltage I need. (may need a little bit of guide as I never done it for bike, I did it for hobby RC Car )

But I am clueless as to how to charge it , ideally I want to charge them properly but not too cumbersome as to having multiple charger for each battery. as long as the charge setup only use one AC 110V outlet.. it would be great.

or is there general consensus among forum members as to where to get battery online source that gets me battery and charger combo and at a good price too.,

spec of the battery I need is 36v (anything less than 10Ah and above 4Ah will do) and a charger,..

thank you

No, good God just get a bottle battery and let it do the battery management.

Hi all! Any idea of where would be the best place to buy new 18650's in bulk. Planning on a 30 to 60kWh project.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Could anyone share a reliable source to buy LiFePo4 battery ... Thanks

Ditto, for larger packs, eg 200Ah 48V. In Australia or that will ship to Australia affordably :)

Ribfeast said:
Ditto, for larger packs, eg 200Ah 48V. In Australia or that will ship to Australia affordably :)

How much do you want to spend? If you're happy with LiFePO4 I'd suggest EV-Power in WA, otherwise I can build you a battery with more amps than most motors can handle.

$2-3k incl BMS I'd say, otherwise it doesn't make it cost effective to switch from FLA batts. At that price I'm probably dreaming though. As long as it can handle a peak current of 355A @ 48V then it should be adequate.

I was toying with getting a set of CALB CA180 cells from here and then obtaining a suitable BMS:
https://www.evworks.com.au/calb-ca180

This company doesn't seem to have any pricing on their page but has all the right gear, I've sent an e-mail:
https://www.ev-power.com.au/product/gbs-calb-lifepo4-3-2v-cells/

Rods pricing is pretty similar to EV Works, maybe a little more expensive (by like 5% or so). He's pretty good on follow up too.
I can certainly build a battery that will do what you want but it will be about three times your budget - cells aren't cheap for little guys.

I will be bringing some large prismatic NMC cells in next month. If you wanted to get on board with that order you're welcome. They are 100 Ah cells going for about $143 each landed. So that's about $4000 in cells, without a BMS.

If the 100Ah cells will hold that kind of current draw then I might be interested, I'd need around 15-16 of them to make 51V.
What would a suitable BMS be worth? With the ability to shut off supply to the battery pack if voltage any any individual cell fell or rose above a safe level?
Worst case when the golf cart gets retired I'll move the pack to the server room, hook it up to the solar array and make the rack partially off-grid.

Ribfeast said:
If the 100Ah cells will hold that kind of current draw then I might be interested, I'd need around 15-16 of them to make 51V.
If you mean 51v fully charged, then with NMC you only need 13s, and would only charge them to 3.92v each (instead of 4.1-4.15v).

If you mean a typical "52v" pack, then it'd be 14s, and it'd end up 58v fully charged, for 4.14v/cell.

If you were using LiFePO4, then you'd use 16s for 58v fully charged, which would typically quickly drop off to 52v or so during use.

FWIW, my 20Ah EIG NMC cells are rated for 100A continuous, so I expect a good 100Ah cell could do 500A continuous.

I was leaning towards LFP batteries preferably for safety, capacity is not a massive issue as long as it is at least 100Ah.
It would need to be a suitable voltage replacement for the current 48V (8x 6V) lead acid pack.

https://www.lfp.net.au/product-page/3-2v-100ah-lifepo4-cell-calb-ca100
According to this they can do 300A, and in my case they would only be doing that briefly when I stab the accelerator to move from standstrill, and maybe a bit when going up a small hill.

If the EIG NMC cells are cost effective they might be a good alternative though, especially with that extra current capacity :)
What are they worth?

EIG weren't known for being cheap.

What is the application? E-moto? E-Scooter? E-car?

A 100 Ah LiFePO4 cell will be okay with 100 A for several minutes, but they sag pretty bad under heavy load. If 350 A is your target peak current they will be OK, but 200 Ah would be safer.

The pouch cells I use are good for 30 C continuous - so 350 A from a 100 Ah pack is child's play. At 14s (nominal 48 volts) that's only 5.1 kWh and about $6000 without a BMS.

But if you're after a safe battery and weight/space aren't critical, 180 Ah CALB cells are the way to go.

It's for this one:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=96717&p=1417763#p1417763
Toro Workman MDE.
It currently has a pack of 8 6V T105 lead acid batteries, two are faulty. I've popped in some "new" replacements over the weekend but these had been sitting for a year on a concrete floor without a charge and had 5.5V when I tested them. Gave them a good charge over the weekend and they seem to have held it, but I reckon they have reduced capacity.
Just trying to find a way to convert this cart to lithium for under $3k if possible.

Ribfeast,.. Where are you based ?
Several other aussie members have been through this similar situation already and could be useful contacts for you.
Swapping to salvaged GM Volt cells (imported ?). seems to be the preferred cost/benifit result,
..Though jones'es EIG cells are very tempting for performance !.
Read this thread from Galderdi (Brisbane based)..
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=76189&start=25
.. Battery discussion seems to start on the 2nd page..
Note also input from Kwiev (Jindabine) who did a similar swap on his buggy.
I believe both bought imported cells ,..so its not too difficult.
Use the "pm contact" function to talk to them off line if you prefer.

I'm based in the Newcastle NSW area. Happy to have a crack at importing some, or going in on a group buy, but I'll need to make sure all the protective measures are in place too. BMS, "fuel gauge", suitable charger etc. Lots of research ahead of me and thread skimming :)

Back