Hi power inverter for Nissan leaf motor. Dyno's 302.3hp p15

Arlo1 said:
Seems like its the motors doing it. To hold a car on a slope like that the amount of energy used is VERY small!

This seems to indicate that hill start assist on the Tesla is done using the brakes not the motor.

Hmm that seems to mention it's from park and not from a stop and go type driving situation, and it's very likely they are just thinking it's the brakes even if it is the motors doing the work. I'll look further into it later.

But at the same time the mechanical brakes might make the most sense...

Martin A said:
Isn't there a danger of overheating holding the motor at stall?

p.s. I know next to nothing

Yeah the energy required to do it with the motor and controller is small.

When at the track I would push the mechanical brakes as hard as I could then pin the throttle and hold it for a few seconds before the lights went green for me to launch. That was likely ~ 1500 ft-lbs for a few seconds which is about 500-600 amps though 1 phase....

Just to hold the car still on a hill I would expect it to need only 20-40 amps though the motor and about 100ish ft-lbs.

On that note....

Did you guys know with the model 3 Tesla gets all the heat for the interior from the motor and controller from a heat pump....
So if the car is cold they will feed current though the motor and controller and get it warm but the car is locked in position then uses the heat pump to take the motor and controller heat into the cab of the car. They deliberately heat the motor to heat the cab....

Ok Guys I am still working to help support everyone. I have a few kits out there people have been buying over the last year. So here is the pinout for the Brain.

I will also put this in a spread sheet and I will update the brain SCH soon so its easier to read.

-Arlin

Attachments

• IMG_20171212_173529772.jpg
    IMG_20171212_173529772.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 8,045
  • IMG_20171212_215734885.jpg
    IMG_20171212_215734885.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 8,045
  • IMG_20171212_215721479.jpg
    IMG_20171212_215721479.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 8,045
They deliberately heat the motor to heat the cab....
seems so obvious now that you point it out! lol. brilliant

HighHopes said:
They deliberately heat the motor to heat the cab....
seems so obvious now that you point it out! lol. brilliant

Yeah I think I want to do this. IN the winter about 6 months of the year I would like some heat. So if I use a heat pump and the cold side is the motor/controller and the hot side is in the car perfect.
Then in the summer I will still use it to cool the motor and controller but a valve will make the hot side a radiator.

Tesla seems to be very smart with this stuff.

When I read about how they heat stuff I started wondering if they warm up the IGBTs to get them into their positive temp coefficient operating area. Something I've thought about doing previously when I finally jump to paralleling IGBTs vs MOSFETs.

zombiess said:
When I read about how they heat stuff I started wondering if they warm up the IGBTs to get them into their positive temp coefficient operating area. Something I've thought about doing previously when I finally jump to paralleling IGBTs vs MOSFETs.

All decent IGBTs for high current I have seen have a higher voltage drop at higher temps. So the cooler the controller the better.
But if it's -20 degC outside warming up the controller and motor to a number good enough to provide meaningful heat for a HVAC system would make sense as the HVAC will be trying to cool the motor and controller what heating the interior of the car. Then once you start driving it will be the same system but just using the losses of the powertrain rather then making it produce head on purpose.

Midas well post this here.

I don't know if I will ever get the crx to this level ;)

[youtube]rpp58qIJI6k[/youtube]

-Arlin

Ok after driving the model S for almost 3 months it was nice to give it back and not have to worry about scratches as much.

It seemed like it was the mechanical brakes holding the car still at a stop after all.

Also Daily planet shard the video of the CRX on FB for those who were not able to see it.

As for how its going. I am installing BMSs soon and hopping to up the power some more when someone gets some cell test data... ;)

https://www.facebook.com/DailyPlanetShow/videos/1528421110540389/?hc_ref=ARR3rgq4IDkiyNM2LHD18Ly52-0vUnwyg26eX7s469y-u_eP8L9kghpBdV7pwfs414Y

Arlo1 said:
Ok after driving the model S for almost 3 months it was nice to give it back and not have to worry about scratches as much.

It seemed like it was the mechanical brakes holding the car still at a stop after all.

Also Daily planet shard the video of the CRX on FB for those who were not able to see it.

As for how its going. I am installing BMSs soon and hopping to up the power some more when someone gets some cell test data... ;)

https://www.facebook.com/DailyPlanetShow/videos/1528421110540389/?hc_ref=ARR3rgq4IDkiyNM2LHD18Ly52-0vUnwyg26eX7s469y-u_eP8L9kghpBdV7pwfs414Y
Very cool! I remenber seeing the first videos of your crx on youtube some time ago.

You are doing an awesome job! :D

Hope things are going well with the CRX! I picked up a smashed 2011 Leaf a few days back, so once again have been trawling through the wealth of info here and on DIY Electric car forums. No doubt this has been answered at some point, but did you look at using the complete powerstage from the leaf inverter and replacing the logic? Is there some reason why this isn't feasible?

At this stage I'm going to concentrate on getting the drivetrain controlled on the bench, but the rough plan is to put it in an early MR2 like this: 1989-AW11-Toyota-MR2-Supercharged-01.jpg. Light, RWD, simplistic, some compartmentalised space for batteries. Won't have tons of range, but hoping to go fast.

Also spotted you have the Patreon page up and running, everyone that's learnt something or wants to support the projects should head here and show Arlo some support!

Nice find on a Patron page for Arlo! I will donate!

That AW11 chassis will be absurdly fast with a LEAF transaxle and Arlo's controller!!

Yeah thanks for the support guys.

I need to give my patreons some love they deserve!

But only send if you feel you really want to. As I have found my self full time self employed working very hard making great wages for the business. But as the page says parts and talent are welcome as well as this thing is not just about me its about moving something EPIC into a whole new realm of possibilities never thought of even 5 years ago!

As for driving the oem IGBTs you would NOT be looking to make much less power.... And because I have next to 0 data on them its a HUGE risk.
What I have leant is this is a lot of math to make sure things like dead time and over current and over voltage protection are in place and you need to see a data sheet for the part to make those work out properly.

I have a old ex friend who called me out saying this kit is shit and it will never last (its been running as a daily for 2 years now) he said all kinds of testing and what not needs to be done to prove it most of which I have already done. Well he is the same guy who suggested running 2 of the counterfeit IGBTs in parallel because they were not what they claimed... But here is the thing WHAT ARE THE SPECS IF THEY ARE FAKES???? I know at least 1 set of Counterfeit IGBTS were not rated for the 1200v claimed! As when I charged it up then tried to run them they blew up like 2 blocks from my shop....

What I am getting at is there is people making things go like the OEM Tesla powertrains and thats cool but the OEM control board is still running the controllers powerstage which has critical settings like dead time etc. Make sure you get the data to set it up right and you are golden. But having said that. The oem controller can't make as much power as mine ;)
Its a set of 900amp at 25 degC rated IGBTs rated for 600 or 650Vdc Mine are 1200amp at 25degC and 1200v rated with slightly less voltage drop :)

Ohbse said:
..... the rough plan is to put it in an early MR2 like this: 1989-AW11-Toyota-MR2-Supercharged-01.jpg. Light, RWD, simplistic, some compartmentalised space for batteries. Won't have tons of range, but hoping to go fast..

I used to have the n/a version back in the day. Flying wedge! Would be a good opportunity to have better weight distribution, use to be too light in the front with a tendency to spin. Watch out for rust! Awesome projects here!

I need to spend some time to update this.

I will try to get to it as soon as I can.

I have had a VERY busy 2018.... And on top of all the normal crazy in my life my wife got a Vestibular problem that has give her severe vertigo for over 7 weeks now. She has been Dizzy 24/7 and sick from the nausea 3 trips to the er 5 to the GP 2 trips to ENTs 1 to the Hyperbaric O2 pressure chamber and about $3k in prescriptions to get us very little help and very little info on something that might be permanent but most likely she will recover in months/years... So for now I am SUPER busy with taking care of her and Isaac who is 1.75 years old. But I will do my best to update all the files asap.

I love your inverter and CRX build but this post is about your wife's vertigo. I'm sure you guys have been given lots of explanations for what it might be and this may not apply to your situation: but have they mentioned treating the vertigo with maneuvers that deal with the vestibular canals? Has she seen a neurologist? I'm a Physical Therapist Assistant and BPPV is one of the things we treat regularly at our clinic through maneuvers and exercises and if it is the cause of the patients vertigo it is pretty spectacular how quickly symptoms go away. With a few more treatments symptoms usually stay away. A neurologist is the next step to rule out other causes. This may not be the cause of your wife's vertigo but I hope this can help and wish your wife the best. Constant dizziness is a terrible thing and I hope you guys soon find a solution.

MrJoshua said:
I love your inverter and CRX build but this post is about your wife's vertigo. I'm sure you guys have been given lots of explanations for what it might be and this may not apply to your situation: but have they mentioned treating the vertigo with maneuvers that deal with the vestibular canals? Has she seen a neurologist? I'm a Physical Therapist Assistant and BPPV is one of the things we treat regularly at our clinic through maneuvers and exercises and if it is the cause of the patients vertigo it is pretty spectacular how quickly symptoms go away. With a few more treatments symptoms usually stay away. A neurologist is the next step to rule out other causes. This may not be the cause of your wife's vertigo but I hope this can help and wish your wife the best. Constant dizziness is a terrible thing and I hope you guys soon find a solution.

Thank you Mr Joshua,

We have been to 2 ENTs, something like 5 GPs, the ER 3 times, couple Chiropractors, and a couple physiotherapists. At least 5 of them suggested the maneuvers and 2 or 3 of them tried them on her. They all agree is not BPPV. Actually the first week. I googled all the youtube videos I could find to see which maneuver would fix her and we tried what it seemed to be which was a system of 3 maneuvers and it did not help She has tried a lot of them but we do not believe that is it now. She is scheduled to see a neurologist but the appointment is for February :( She asked to get on a cancellation list and the university I work part time at has a program to get a second or third opinion so we are hoping to find another neurologist even if its a fair drive away. We also have a lyme disease test coming. Fingers crossed but from what we can tell she will never get a diagnosis.

I'm glad to hear they didn't miss such a basic possibility. I hope your next steps bring you better results.

MrJoshua said:
I'm glad to hear they didn't miss such a basic possibility. I hope your next steps bring you better results.

Looks like its MS, They see lesions on the brain in the MRI. They took some lumbar fluid. She is kind of getting better. Some of that is her getting used to the non stop spinning and some of it is the problem getting a little less bad.

We are looking at diet and exorcise for treatment while we wait. Watched all the Netflix series Dirty money lately and a MS documenty called living proof which talks about diet and exorcise being something that helps the most.. I have also read a lot of work from Dr Rhonda Patrick who talks about how fasting can reset the immune system and help with things like MS. She even talks about clinical trials about such treatment. Also learnt about the CCSVI treatment to open up the neck veins and stem cell treatment. We will fight this with all we can. I just took a part time gig at the university as something to get me out of the house a bit and I get to show motorcycle/marine mechanic students all I know! It came with full benefits which is a lucky bonus. Things are looking better for the end of 2018.

Back