Need Help Selecting Battery for TSDZ2 36V 350W

Jpcowan37

1 µW
Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I recently ordered a TSDZ2 mid-drive kit to convert my Cannondale mountain bike. I ordered the 36V 350W version.

My problem: Trying to find a compatible battery pack seems like a huge headache. I've spent hours looking on amazon, ebay and various ebike company websites, as well as reading forum posts here that came up in google, and I am still thoroughly confused. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, it almost seems like I'd need to take a semester in electrical engineering to make the right choice at this point...

I know that I need a 36V battery, and that I probably don't want to get it from China. I also know that I probably do not want to get Li-Po, due to safety concerns. But I've seen totally opposite information from different sources about what other chemistry is best; some say that LiFePo4 is long lasting, but I've seen other sources say that it has a shorter life cycle than others. What gives??

Anyway, I'm mainly confused about the connecting cord for the battery. It seems like very few kits or batteries give the name of what type of connection type they use. Every time I try to research this it just seems like I'm running around in circles. If I get a battery with the wrong type of cord, do I have to do electrical work and risk frying the battery? I know its generally advisable to get everything from the same source, but I could only find the Tongsheng kit from a Chinese supplier and have heard bad things about getting batteries from China. I would like to find a battery in the 10-20 Ah range, depending on price. The kit is expected to arrive by Nov 28th, so I'm hoping to find a battery that will arrive by then.

I hope I provided the right amount of information. Can someone please guide me in the right direction and help ease my confusion? Am I just massively overthinking this?

As you have discovered, letting the connector dictate your choice of battery makes no sense,

Builders do not worry about what power connectors, if any, come with controllers and batteries/battery cradles. They install the ones they like. Congrats. You are now a e-bike builder and will be learning how to do this or how to get this done. Crimp tools and solder irons will become your friends.

You can look at what connectors come with the TDSZ2. If they are any good, then some battery vendors might be willing to pull a battery from inventory and install the same type. Hopefully, they give you enough wire , don't put it on backwards, and don't charge you $100. I have heard that some US suppliers are nice though. Ask.

In any case, never trust any battery connector to be right til you tested it with a voltmeter. It's surprising how often chargers and batteries are wired backwards from the factory. I never got one backwards, but I once got a 52 V charger in a 48V box. I believe I shortened the life on my battery using it.

And really, congrats on taking the plunge into a build. You will get to know your bike, and that's a good thing.

I have some of these motors and they all have come with a matching connector for the battery side.
8b6982d4f701d0a0289e05d1b5ecbece.jpg

There are lots of ways to install a battery on a bike and almost always custom.
On this bike I didn’t use connectors it’s hardwired inside the hard pack cradle.
415e40f782c31782f80cb4960d38e7fc.jpg

Don't worry about the connectors !

Just cut the battery and motor wires and use whatever connector you want.

I have XT90S on my bikes. They are large enough to disconnect using gloves, can handle 50A and best of all : they have an integrated resistor to prevent the spark during connection.

About 2USD/pair on ali.

Most any 36v 10 ah battery will provide enough power to run your kit continuously.

if it comes with shitty automotive bullets, like in the picture above, you'd want to convert the kits plug anyway.

Its possible though, that your kit comes with a pigtail, which when attached to your battery, will connect to your kit. The better kits come with one, and even many of the cheap ass ones too.

So you are then left with figuring out which wire goes where, when you add that pigtail to your battery. We can help with that once you send us good photos of the kit connection. Or you might find the info you need, which wire is + on the kits wire, in an on line manual for the kit. You can look for that manual on line now.

These battery packs would work great, unfortunately the seller bumped up the price .... See the discussion
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89488&p=1322078#p1322078
36V battery packs common for scooters, 3 of these packs in parallel would be a good, cheap option ... do a search on ebay.
They usually come with xt60 connectors. Don't worry about which connector, it is easy enough to make adaptor cables with
xt60 on one end and whatever you need on the other end. 36v chargers are also very common.

Where do you live if you live in United States is a few options because if you buy a battery from China there's no way to have her sit back you have to be the repairman . If in the good old USA I would go with Luna cycle or power velocit or if China is your bet go em3ev. Most reliable ebike.ca

Back