Problem with E-Twow Booster - help?

So, I have done over 300 miles on my E-Twow Booster, and it's been a blast. The dog loves running with me!

But, today it has developed a problem. When I switch it on and try to accelerate, the motor either works in a stop-start way, or sometimes doesn't move at all, and instead just makes a grinding noise (like maybe a clutch slipping or something?) before turning itself off. [UPDATE: Now it just doesn't move at all, only making a noise before switching off.]

I am on the verge of removing the front wheel (motor) and trying to take it apart to inspect the internal workings. Just thought I'd post here first though in case anyone is an expert on servicing these things. I guess it could also be a problem with the control unit (I know motors can make strange noises if power is fed to them in a very jerky way).

Is the motor used in any other type of vehicles I wonder? Is it expensive to replace/overhaul?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

2nd EDIT: Turns out I had two problems, one of which I have solved... Two little Allen bolts had come lose, and had undone themselves such that they were high enough to touch the controller circuit board, and cause it to turn off (presumably as an act of self-protection to avoid a short circuit).

I have since tightened them down and thread locked them in place.

Now it doesn't turn itself off any more, but I still seem to have something like a badly slipping clutch (although to be honest I have no idea even these motors even contain a clutch!). Basically I can crawl along at 2mph while the motor makes a horrible sound. :/

Guys, thank you so much for your fast and relevant replies. I've learnt a lot from this thread! :)

Turns out that my problem was being caused by an intermittent connection between two ends of a wire that had almost completely broken, due to being whipped about too much through steering left and right quickly (weaving between predestrians while attached to a running husky isn't so simple). :)

I soldered a wire bridge between the ends, and now everything is fine.

Now that the weather is nice, I will try to get some good pictures and start a "Pimp your E-Twows" thread. :lol:

Hey yeah, those guys know how to pimp a ride for sure! 8)

...On a more serious note, by coincidence the scooter developed another fault yesterday, this time a potentially lethal One! :shock:

Basically the spring on the fold-down mechanism had become weak, and while flying down the pavement at top speed, the catch decided to work itself upwards, and the scooter collapsed on me. Amazing, through a combination of luck and ninja moves I escaped injury, and the scooter only required one of the bar ends being reattached.

Turns out that an Allen key with some tape around it (to ensure a tight fit) is enough to secure the catch. There's a hole above the catch, and you can slide anything metal in there to act as a kind of cotter pin, whence your scooter will no longer try to kill you. Just thought I'd mention... :|

Yeah, I was told that's a design flaw in the folding mechanism and is being updated possibly for a new model coming later this year...

It's a neat design in theory with the simple little red hinge button/switch folding the scooter with just a press of your foot but it can accidently be activated while riding (since one's feet are right up against the lever or near it while riding) and when the spring gets loose among other reasons...

Just make sure it's fully locked into position before riding and don't ride if the spring is loose

scoot-e said:
Just make sure it's fully locked into position before riding and don't ride if the spring is loose
I will now NEVER use mine without a cotter pin in place. Really - wiping out at 30kph is no fun.

Can you please share where abouts on the scooter the circuit board you mentioned is located.
I'm having a similar problem with mine and cannot find the board. I've taken the panel where the charge pin is located but can't seem to see a board underneath.

hello, my scooter is making that exact grinding and stop and go or slowing down.
could you please do a video or take pictures of where i need to fix?
i read your description but very hard for me to visualize where they are. thanks so much!

edit. never mind, i found a cable cut and will post in a new thread....

Hi-- does anyone know if this problem with the fold-down mechanism still exists in newer models? I have a newer Etwow (holiday gift in Dec 2018). I just ate shit on the road and I'm trying to figure out what happened. The handlebars clicked into place when I left the house and then maybe 150 m away, they just collapsed and of course I lost control of the steering while probably going 25 kph.

Also, mine isn't old-- so it doesn't seem like the fold-down mechanism would have become weak (unless it was bad to begin with?)...
Seems like something they would have/should have fixed since 2015...

Luther Blissett said:
Hey yeah, those guys know how to pimp a ride for sure! 8)

...On a more serious note, by coincidence the scooter developed another fault yesterday, this time a potentially lethal One! :shock:

Basically the spring on the fold-down mechanism had become weak, and while flying down the pavement at top speed, the catch decided to work itself upwards, and the scooter collapsed on me. Amazing, through a combination of luck and ninja moves I escaped injury, and the scooter only required one of the bar ends being reattached.

Turns out that an Allen key with some tape around it (to ensure a tight fit) is enough to secure the catch. There's a hole above the catch, and you can slide anything metal in there to act as a kind of cotter pin, whence your scooter will no longer try to kill you. Just thought I'd mention... :|

Hi-- does anyone know if this problem with the fold-down mechanism still exists in newer models? I have a newer Etwow (holiday gift in Dec 2018). I just ate shit on the road and I'm trying to figure out what happened. The handlebars clicked into place when I left the house and then maybe 150 m away, they just collapsed and of course I lost control of the steering while probably going 25 kph.

Also, mine isn't old-- so it doesn't seem like the fold-down mechanism would have become weak (unless it was bad to begin with?)...
Seems like something they would have/should have fixed since 2015...

You probably broke the steel rod that locks into the notch on the front ears.

This happened to me TWICE, and yes it always happens at a dangerous high impact moment. In the center of the rod there is a divot for a spring to attach into, it also serves as a terrible fracturing point dead center of a load bearing rod??? Yes its crazy, it snapped both times in the exact same spot. I wish they could figure out a better way or material, or a cheaper way to regularly replace it. In my case one half of the rod remained in place after the fail, so it still clicked into place and I was unaware what was the real issue until I opened it up.

On my initial search into a fix, this locking bar seemed to only be replaceable by buying the "folding full set," the spring loaded mechanism that is inside at the bottom of the square pipe that connects the neck to the board. The folding full set costs 30 bucks, which is absurd.

Fortunately I found a way around buying the full set, you can buy a replacement Kugoo (an E-Twow clone) Square pipe that INCLUDES A FOLDING FULL SET for $15 bucks!!! WHAT A DEAL!!! :|

Note: the set has two major rods. The "folding axle" on the Kugoo's set, the longer of the two, it's the one that serves as the hinge, it is non-essential to our issue. Just so you know, this hinge rod is slightly thicker then the original and wont fit into the old etwow ears or square pipe, which means you wont be able to put the brand new Kugoo square tube on if you wished, unless you also get the Kugoo left and right ears as well which have a slightly bigger bore diameter to accommodate that hinge rod, which I did. The larger bore diameter is only a good thing for stability, and both the tube and ears use a little more metal and are of slightly higher quality then the originals. The locking rod for the Kugoo is a shiny steel not a black steel, my theory is that the black steel rod that originally came with the etwow is hardened teated or something and was more brittle, I could be wrong lets hope I'm not.

so basically, were paying 15 bucks so we can fish out a $0.50 rod out a bunch of not so useful parts and replace the broken rod. But if you want to make those other parts useful pay an extra 10 bucks for the Kugo ears and it will still be cheaper than buying the "full folding set"

over priced Original E-Twow Full folding set
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2046237342.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4d9366aa6gRaJU&algo_pvid=9705036d-28f4-4143-81c6-c66957433906&algo_expid=9705036d-28f4-4143-81c6-c66957433906-37&btsid=deb1ab9f-fb2c-4266-af21-92c334a48fc6&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_7,searchweb201603_52

Kugoo Tube includes a Folding set
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33042233558.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4d9366aa6gRaJU&algo_pvid=28741194-a1a7-4a47-9a6c-edd6172093c5&algo_expid=28741194-a1a7-4a47-9a6c-edd6172093c5-30&btsid=c99513d3-5d55-4add-bede-4991dfe655b4&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_7,searchweb201603_52

Kugoo compatible ears to install tube.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33048675785.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4d9366aa6gRaJU&algo_pvid=49e003c8-b1a8-49bd-8d27-31c49b1986c2&algo_expid=49e003c8-b1a8-49bd-8d27-31c49b1986c2-32&btsid=02d00906-b13d-4a2c-8b82-635f308318de&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_7,searchweb201603_52

William Knox said:
This happened to me TWICE, and yes it always happens at a dangerous high impact moment. In the center of the rod there is a divot for a spring to attach into, it also serves as a terrible fracturing point dead center of a load bearing rod??? Yes its crazy, it snapped both times in the exact same spot. I wish they could figure out a better way or material, or a cheaper way to regularly replace it. In my case one half of the rod remained in place after the fail, so it still clicked into place and I was unaware what was the real issue until I opened it up.

Hello William,

Which rod did exactly break twice on you? The one of the two that are part of the locking mechanism that is sold for $30 (longer one or shorter one?) or the small flat-sided rod that serves as an axle for the red plate that you step on to unlock it?

A couple of months ago I also had an accident and fell at near full speed. Thankfully I didn't sustain major injuries but I was somewhat afraid to ride the scooter until now. After I found this thread I finally got into disassembling the folding mechanism to see if something indeed broke. My original assumption that it was my fault as I didn't lock the thing in place properly seems to be true as I can't see anything broken - all bits and pieces are in perfect condition. That being said, I still decided to replace some of the parts with stronger ones just in case and I already have the thing open anyway. My locking mechanism is the one with the black rods, so I ordered the new shiny version. What I'm worried about is the small axle rod. I'm not sure how much pressure goes on that by the spring and if it also would result in the handlebar pipe collapsing if it were to break while riding. So I'll probably get one custom made from more durable steel.

That's why I'm asking which part exactly is expected to break.

Thanks in advance!

Back