New Luna geared Mac motor

Wolfeman

1 kW
This looks like a pretty good setup for a small powerful hub motor. Paired with a high capacity 52V pack, this would be fantastic for folks that don't want the issues of a mid-drive setup. Price seems decent too.

https://lunacycle.com/mac-motor-asi-high-performance-hub-kit/

I've got a pair of MAC's with Phaserunners. Exceptional set up on a trike.

12T with 10 speed freewheel weighs in at 12.3 lbs.
10T with 10 speed cassette weighs in at 10.1 lbs.
We still pedal so we have zero interest in less than 10 speeds.

MAC 10T on HPV Scorpion FS26

Also have an ASI BAC 800 I've played with just enough to understand the software. I'm not a novice at programming controllers but I did buy some engineering time from ASI. I like the Phaserunner better for it's compact size & plug & play into the CA3, despite being triple the factory price of an ASI BAC 800.

Glad to see Luna step up.

Nice and simple, but............
I.M.O., too powerful for a frt. mount.
Too limited whl. size and motor speed options.
And where are the left-hand throttles?

Wires coming out of the hollow axle is an old design & prone to getting destroyed in a sliding type crash. :roll:

motomech said:

Would you be interested in some bare MAC 10T Cassette motors?

docw009 said:
Does the controller take a PAS sensor?

It is "Thun friendly" but not in an ideal way. It has 4 analogue inputs that can be configured, two are used for the Thun. They were just adding the bluetooth option when I bought mine from ASI.

The software is not for novices. It is very easy to input conflicting values in different variable settings, that's why I bought some engineering time as its not clearly explained in the 65 page manual. Now I have it down pretty well. And that from someone with experience designing BLDC controllers that drive motors with cogless motion for accurate positioning in camera gimbals.

Nice , Having the previous generation of Mac Motor to this one, ( Rear 6 T ) I can say allot of people will be happy with this kit since it will have even better performance .
I run mine on 12s most of the time, but have taken it out for a few rides with my
14 s pack.
And Luna is saying that it will run on a 16s battery pack with the ASI-BAC 800 Controller ?
I have been wanting to test a 16s pack on the Mac 6T .

Wonder if they had any changes made to the motor and if so what was changed in order for them to say it can run on 1700 watts ? ( I typically see up to 1200 watts when going up a steep hill or hill over 7% slope )
Or
Can a regular Mac run on that wattage, the 1700 watts only possible because of the ASI controller ?

Can someone confirm that the ASI-BAC 800 controller has the wires/connector to plug directly into a C.A. wires/plug ( Either the C.A. V2 or V3 ) ??

30 amp continuous is nice, I have mine programed through the C.A. V2 to only use 26 amps from the pack.

Luna does not list a 27.5 inch rim build option ... but I would think that should come along when enough people ask for it.
Also
I do not see a 16s battery pack and charger listed , but they do say it can run on 60 volts . ?

To me it seems like a pretty ideal combo for a general purpose bike. Small profile, powerful for it's size and affordable. Pair it with a high capacity 52V pack (24+ aH) and it'd be fantastic. I'd only put it on a rear wheel though. Wish this'd available when I was shopping for my first kit.

melodious said:
Wires coming out of the hollow axle is an old design & prone to getting destroyed in a sliding type crash. :roll:

Grin
UBracket
Availability: In stock

Regular Price: US$9.00

Quick Overview

U bracket with 10 wide mm notch for protecting motor wiring harness against impact.

u_bracket_top.jpg

motomech said:

Makes. Better sense to deal with MAC or EM3ev and self source the controller. Better warranty service.

ScooterMan101 said:
Can a regular Mac run on that wattage, the 1700 watts only possible because of the ASI controller ?

Can someone confirm that the ASI-BAC 800 controller has the wires/connector to plug directly into a C.A. wires/plug ( Either the C.A. V2 or V3 ) ??

30 amp continuous is nice, I have mine programed through the C.A. V2 to only use 26 amps from the pack.

I ran my 12T at 40 amps 52V (16S LiFePO4) with peaks of 2200 watts for the first 100 miles with the 12 FET Infineon. No problem for the windings, but the gears/clutch won't last long. No problems, but I scaled back to 30A. Not sure about the 6T. Higher resistance (12T vs 6T) changes the thermal losses at different BEMF levels (speed), but I won't elaborate. Just saying the two will have different characteristics.

My BAC 800 does not connect to the CA via the 6 pin connector. I could figure out a way of doing that with adding an internal shunt, but the Phaserunner does that for me. I run the Phaserunner at 30 amps.

With the MAC 10T I pull about 12 amps climbing a 10% grade at 12 MPH on a trike. There is a video on the link below of some hill climbing with the MAC.

http://www.triketech.com/Drivetrain/PowerAssist/HPV-MAC-V2.html

Only 12 amp pull from the battery at 12 mph going up a 10 % grade on your trike impressive.

I do not look much at my C.A. when going up that steep of a hill , but last time I did I thought I saw a 22-25 amp pull at around the same speed, 12-14 mph, on my 6T rear Mac motor. That is quite a difference, know why that would be ?

Triketech said:
With the MAC 10T I pull about 12 amps climbing a 10% grade at 12 MPH on a trike. There is a video on the link below of some hill climbing with the MAC.

http://www.triketech.com/Drivetrain/PowerAssist/HPV-MAC-V2.html

ScooterMan101 said:
Only 12 amp pull from the battery at 12 mph going up a 10 % grade on your trike impressive.

I do not look much at my C.A. when going up that steep of a hill , but last time I did I thought I saw a 22-25 amp pull at around the same speed, 12-14 mph, on my 6T rear Mac motor. That is quite a difference, know why that would be ?

First Merry Christmas.

Volts x Amps = Watts
Speed x Torque = Power

Volts to the motor is determined by speed not the battery voltage. The motor is a generator as it turns generating voltage potential. The faster it turns the higher the voltage; that factor is known as a Voltage Constant. Calculating power is done by the motor voltage x amps, not the battery voltage x amps.

When you feed amps in (or take them back for regen) it occurs at whatever the voltage level is determined by the speed.

The 12T has about twice the Voltage Constant of the 6T. Less amps, more volts. 12T reaches battery voltage level level twice as fast as the 6T, but consumes half the amps for the same number of watts.

Power is measured in watts.

Both the 6T and 12T will take the same wattage (mostly).

Hello everyone.
I use the Mac 10 T together with an Eggrider display and the Asibac800.
Unfortunately, I only have one universal setup for the Asibac 800 and am a beginner in programming, I have researched settings for days but have not yet found an ideal setup.
Can someone help me?
I would like to try out the parameters of Luna or someone else who is more knowledgeable than I have.
My system works but I think that it can do a lot more if it is tailored to the Mac.
I would be very happy to hear from you.
Greetings from Germany

Does anyone have the Mac 10T with an Asibac800 running and possibly with a well adjusted setup?
It would be great if someone could provide me with their setup ...

markz said:
ASI works best on certain motors and not so great on other motors no matter what programming you do.

Can you explain what you mean by that
If you use a gear motor, the ASI does not run so well. Better at a bbHd or direct runner?

I have the problem that it only accelerates slowly after starting and only from 25 km / h does it accelerate noticeably better.
In addition, on my way I have a steep incline of approx. 8 to 10 percent where it becomes massively slower and the more the speed decreases, the less power the motor gets, which means that after the last part of the incline I almost have to push it up although my maximum current is the motor can be pulled out of the battery up to 35 A.

Back