KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW)

stancecoke said:
casainho said:
Do you plan an improvement to the tool?

To be honest, I'm already working on my next project. But once you have managed to edit the tool for the Linux implementation, you can bundle the parameters easily in the way you like, just by dragging the items with the mouse.
You have to choose file-->export-->as runnable jar for building the executable jar-file.

I can add the few command lines for Linux, if you tell me the syntax. This will take just a few minutes.
I am also starting on another project, but something not about EBikes nor with potential for a community. But I will keep investing on this project, as I should start 2018 working for a that German company that is developing technology and products for electric micromobility, where EBikes are relevant as also the motor control technology - I mean that the knowledge I get by working on this project, will bring value to me as a professional:

So, I am thinking in reverse the order/priority of documentation, with focus for user and main page to be:
1. about the controllers and our flexible OpenSource firmware
2. install firmware
3. EBike example (Q85 + S06S + 24V battery + torque sensor)
4. development

4. development will be in a separated folder, just like Windows instructions are now, so the main documentation focus is just for users
2. install firmware will be on the main documentation: would need to move your Windows instructions to CherryTree, I can do that
3. is where I would like to document, with pictures and text, each part (just for that example and for our firmware) we can buy from BMSBattery and the wirings including the install on the bike, as I think BMSBattery site lacks this valuable information.

Maybe I will focus later on the Java tool...

Apologies for my lack of feedback on the 'Master branch' but it looks like I've got a dead test controller, appears to program ok but no response from motor with either throttle or pas input. Had some issues when testing the Torque Simulation branch, I guess the damage happened here.

I've ordered a replacement but it will obviously be a couple of weeks or so before I get to try this again, will feedback then.

geofft said:
Apologies for my lack of feedback on the 'Master branch' but it looks like I've got a dead test controller, appears to program ok but no response from motor with either throttle or pas input. Had some issues when testing the Torque Simulation branch, I guess the damage happened here.

I've ordered a replacement but it will obviously be a couple of weeks or so before I get to try this again, will feedback then.
When I burned my controllers, I generally got 2 things:
1. power mosfets in shortcircuit and the battery pack BMS will quick disable the controller when turn it on, due to the high current asked from the short circuit
2. power mosfets (or the power mosfet drivers) open and will never close as commanded by the firmware, this will mean motor will never rotate nor ask current from the battery

Seems you have 2. At least you can program and test that process :)

Can you please confirm that LCD works?? You can look at it and see if throttle symbol works when you use throttle. The same for the brakes.

I've now removed the test controller but here is what I can tell you:-

I've done a (very) quick dc check on the mosfets, they *look* ok

lcd works but the brake symbol (and others inputs) were not indicating any response, so it seems something fundamental is wrong.

With the controller powered the LM317 v. reg was getting hot rather quickly (v. output ok), this may be normal? I'm not sure.

geofft said:
it looks like I've got a dead test controller
Have you retested it with a formerly working setup, e.g. torque-simulation fork with simple throttle?

regards
stancecoke

Yes, that also was not working.

It's a bit of a puzzle, it points towards the mosfet drivers as these could be loading the LM317 output voltage but you would expect phases that were still working to pulse the motor.

I'll know for sure where the trouble is when I get the replacement controller, fortunately these things are cheap enough that you don't lose sleep if you pop one.

geofft said:
lcd works but the brake symbol (and others inputs) were not indicating any response, so it seems something fundamental is wrong.

With the controller powered the LM317 v. reg was getting hot rather quickly (v. output ok), this may be normal? I'm not sure.
When I got that symptoms, it was because I wired incorrectly some wires like brakes, like doing a short circuit or something because I wired the 5V pin wrongly.

I suggest for you to connect only the LCD for testing and make sure it wire it correctly.

Maybe your controller is ok :)

I did double check all the connectors, pretty sure this was ok, now working fine with 'stock' controller re-connected. I'll maybe give it another try later next week, I guess we've all got other things to worry about for the next few days.

Enjoy your Christmas.

Geoff.

geofft said:
I did double check all the connectors, pretty sure this was ok, now working fine with 'stock' controller re-connected. I'll maybe give it another try later next week, I guess we've all got other things to worry about for the next few days.

Enjoy your Christmas.
Maybe the burn part is something on the 5V line...
If LCD don't show throttle signal or brake, probably the microcontroller is not sending data do the LCD. LCD works just by having his supply voltage, but features like wheel speed should be zero.

Nice Christmas.

stancecoke said:
Congratulations! Where is the company seated in Germany?
I can't give more details now -- I will be very happy to give all the details when it is official and that should happen up to the end of next week. A company that develops high technology for EBikes and electric micromobility!! A kind of a dream for me.

Just updated the documentation, now just focus on user.

casainho said:
That's really an improvement, thank you! I hope we can win some more beta-users of our firmware with this. Perhaps you can use the "FLEXIBLE OPENSOURCE FIRMWARE" page as the main link in your signature and in the post #1 of this thread, instaead of just the index with a blank page.

geofft said:
The voltage regulator gets quite hot, thats normal. Have you checked if there are 5V on the red wires of the Brake-/Throttle-/PAS connectors?
It would be very strange, if you killed something in the peripheral 5V-components on the PCB by the firmware-settings.

Perhaps you can send the defective controller to casainho or me for diagnostics.

Merry Christmas!

regards
stancecoke

The voltage regulator gets quite hot, thats normal. Have you checked if there are 5V on the red wires of the Brake-/Throttle-/PAS connectors?
It would be very strange, if you killed something in the peripheral 5V-components on the PCB by the firmware-settings.

The v. reg is too hot to touch after around 2 minutes - is that ok?

Yes, the 5v is present at all these points.

I think I may have made a stupid mistake with my st-link connector. I used a jst-sh connector (single row) to fit into the st link, completely forgetting that the pins were open to one side of the connector. These were probably touching the other row of pins putting RST-SWCLK and SWIM-SWDIO. I guess this must have been affecting programming and may have damaged the st-link.. :oops: Have now ordered another st-link just in case.

Thanks for your offer to diagnose but I won't trouble you guys with this, you've been enough help already. Like we said these things are cheap enough to not worry too much.

Happy Christmas.
Geoff.

Edit to add: When I initially programmed the Torque Sim. branch (which worked ok) I was using the jumper set supplied with the st-link, not my wonder cable. This is the only difference to my hardware so looks very possible for the cause of my problem.

stancecoke said:
casainho said:
That's really an improvement, thank you! I hope we can win some more beta-users of our firmware with this. Perhaps you can use the "FLEXIBLE OPENSOURCE FIRMWARE" page as the main link in your signature and in the post #1 of this thread, instaead of just the index with a blank page.
Just overwrite index.html with FLEXIBLE_OPENSOURCE_FIRMWARE.html and works well.

Also added "CHOOSE MOTOR CONTROLLER" to say what motor controllers works and give links to the shops.

I took some pictures of Bluetooth module: https://opensourceebikefirmware.bitbucket.io/development/Motor_controllers--BMSBattery_S_series--Bluetooh.html

Stancecoke, do you think is similar to the ones you know? Do you think this one also turns on/off the controller like the LCD?

86-3.png

There is a clone of the standard HM-10 BLE modules on the left side. Can you identify any printing on the further components on the right side? I think the bigger thing will be the voltage regulator for the HM-10, but it could be the high-side switch also (is it a SOT-223 package with 6.5mm width?)
Can you find the pad where the blue wire pad is connected to? Can you disassemble the PCB from the housing, to see what's on the back side?

regards
stancecoke

stancecoke said:
There is a clone of the standard HM-10 BLE modules on the left side. Can you identify any printing on the further components on the right side? I think the bigger thing will be the voltage regulator for the HM-10, but it could be the high-side switch also (is it a SOT-223 package with 6.5mm width?)
Can you find the pad where the blue wire pad is connected to? Can you disassemble the PCB from the housing, to see what's on the back side?
If the idea is to found if this can turn on/off, then I prefer to wait 2 more weeks when I should receive 2x S06S-BT and then I can try with original firmware and mobile app.

Right now, I am installing NetBeans Java IDE. I tried some hours with Eclipse and WindowsBuilder but for some reason there are some glitches, maybe is just for me on Ubuntu. Well, I will try with NetBeans... the options I put on the firmware are really very few, should not take much time to do from the start the Java tool e reuse the code you did.

casainho said:
I tried some hours with Eclipse and WindowsBuilder but for some reason there are some glitches,

Strange, I just tried it on ubuntu and it worked with the first try (there was an error message, but it worked nevertheless).The config.h was built correctly, of course nothing else happend as the linux commands for compiling and flashing aren't implemented yet. I've uploaded the whole project folder as a zip-archive to the github tools folder. Perhaps you can try to import the project to eclipse.

regards
stancecoke

Bildschirmfoto von »2017-12-25 18-36-42«.png

stancecoke said:
Strange, I just tried it on ubuntu and it worked with the first try (there was an error message, but it worked nevertheless). I've uploaded the whole project folder as a zip-archive to the github tools folder. Perhaps you can try to import the project to eclipse.
Thanks but I am going well with NetBeans and is an opportunity to redesign. I want to organize the fields on that logic blocks. And maybe I will put the notes as a text label and not as a tooltip (maybe).

I've been following this thread for several weeks now and want to thank you guys for a very interesting and informative project. I've noticed, and wondered, if there is a special reason that you use the word "throotle" to (apparently) mean "throttle", the typical english spelling for the device that causes the motor to change its RPM's. I'm a german guy living in the US, so I'm somewhat bilingual, but couldn't think of a reason for this spelling. Hope everyone had a 'Frohe Weihnachten'!

rowbiker said:
I've been following this thread for several weeks now and want to thank you guys for a very interesting and informative project. I've noticed, and wondered, if there is a special reason that you use the word "throotle" to (apparently) mean "throttle", the typical english spelling for the device that causes the motor to change its RPM's. I'm a german guy living in the US, so I'm somewhat bilingual, but couldn't think of a reason for this spelling. Hope everyone had a 'Frohe Weihnachten'!
Thank for you the correction!!! :) :)

I think I got the design mostly done.
The nice thing is that it hides options that don't make sense on as specific context - the only case is on throttle types.

Here it hides the options for PAS etc, as PAS is not used:

Fine interface.

So, the mysterious P1 parameter in the LCD3 manual is related to motor rotor offset angle :!:

And other parameters after are there to tweak and improve the FOC behaviour if I understand, right :?: :!:

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Back